Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Apple Cider Vinegar
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Is it okay to take apple cider vinegar regularly after being diagnosed with ulcerative colitis and Crohn's? My 71 year old mother is healing from a very small ares that was also infected with diverticulitis, but she was also diagnosed with ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease. Right now she has a sinus infection and/or head cold and we've read that apple cider vinegar mixed with honey in water is a great home remedy. After reading more on ACV, we also realize that it is helpful with a lot of health issues. Does anyone know if it is okay to take with ulcerative colitis and Crohn's?
Posted on 10/29/10, 11:34 am
12 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Crohn's Disease & Ulcerative Colitis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 10/29/10  1:52pm
" HI , not at all, apple cider vineger is a killr, no suger or honey,
light tea after your food is recomended.(my exp).
i have uc for 28 years. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 10/29/10  5:24pm
" Actually, I drink it a lot, with hot water and organic honey. I can't say if it's good or bad for someone with IBD. Everyone's disease is different. Doesn't bother me though.

Davidvafa, why do you say apple cidar vinegar a killer? I've drank it and used it in food for quite some time with no ill effects. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 10/29/10  6:20pm
" hi .
i tell you, drink FRESH CARROT JUICE (ROOM TEMP), 2 cub a day, you will see the difrance, is much better then A/C/V.
DAVID "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 10/30/10  8:18am
" Update: the ACV with honey did not agree with Mom.

David: where do you get your Fresh carrot juice? Do you make it yourself or buy it organic?

And what do yall think about Aloe Vera Juice? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 10/30/10  8:57am
" I could never bring myself to drink it...(the aloe vera juice) yuk!
apple cider vinegar never really liked the taste of vinegar but tried it for years never saw any improvement either. Can't remember now why I was drinking it either...had a booklet back then that was promising great benefits! Yeah dahhhhhh! It didn't help just kind of remember the sour taste.......... I like herb teas once in awhile - lemon zinger and peppermint seems to calm my stomach. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 10/30/10  9:04am
" if you can handle it, go for it. I tried to take it to help with acid reflux and I have crohns but couldn't stomach the smell enough to drink it. I haven't tried it with honey though, thats the next step i'll try. I heard this helps with everything including stomach aches. My chiro highly recommended it. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 10/30/10  9:04am
" also it is best to use braggs apple cider vinegar, it is organic "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 10/30/10  10:11am
" I couldn't get past the taste of aloe vera.

Yeah, I use Braggs ACV and it helps with my acid reflux and overall digestion, it seems. I don't drink a whole glass. Just a spoonful in in hot water. But if you can't tolerate it, obviously don't consume it. That's kind of my general rule.

David, I still don't get why it's a killer. I'm not saying people should or shouldn't drink it. I'm just trying to understand where you're coming from. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 10/30/10  3:08pm
" rmb: the ACV ended up being a really bad thing for Mom. Everything went right through her and she had a miserable day. We were hoping it would help with her sinus infection as well. Just did not work out that way at all. It was too much on her UC.

Today I bought her some carrot juice and she's working on it. We're hoping for a better day today. Between the UC recent diagnosis and now her recent sinus infection - it's a lot for her to deal with.

She's also been drinking Herbalife shakes mixed with either almond milk or regular skim milk. They really helped with her nutrition intake along with Benefiber and a powder mix of Vitamin C, B vitamins and electrolytes. They seem to balance out everything ESPECIALLY after a day like yesterday with the disagreement her colon had with the ACV. We won't be doing that again. uggh. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 10/30/10  3:31pm
" I'm sorry your mom isn't feeling well. It really is a trial and error thing. The thing with UC and Crohns is that it effects everyone differently, so some people can tolerate things while other's can't, and when you're in a flare up of the disease you have to just eat kind of bland, low fiber stuff to help give your colon a break while you try to get into remission. Everyone has advice on diet, but it's an individual thing. What doesn't bother some may bother others. That's why when people say something should be off limits I want to understand why,if there's a scientific,medical reason or if it's because they personally had a bad experience with it.

Hope your mom starts feeling better. Sinus infections are tough to get over sometimes, even if you're on antibiotics. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web