Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Chest pain and Crohn's?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Can anyone tell me if it is at all normal to have chest pains with Crohn's? I control my Crohn's mostly with diet but lately have been having piercing pain almost constantly in the left side of my chest, just under my breast. It feels like something is trying to dig it's way out! Although sometimes it is not bad, sometimes is the horrible and it has not really gone fully away in about five days.
Posted on 09/28/10, 04:51 pm
5 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Crohn's Disease & Ulcerative Colitis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 09/28/10  5:20pm
" I have UC. I get chest pains. Sometimes a stabbing pain, sometimes a dull pain. It's intermittent. But some days it seems to last the majority of the day. It's almost always on the left side. I've asked my doc about it and she thinks it's pleurisy/pleuritis. She believes it's related to my being HLA-B27+.

But having said that, I suggest you see a doc ASAP. They really need to rule out something more serious like a pulmonary embolism (PE) - blood clots in the lungs. People with IBD are at an increased risk for them. Last year I suffered a PE. However, my initial symptoms were extreme fatigue and feeling super crappy and horrific pain in my back and sides. I never had shortness of breath or chest pain which are fairly common. They aren't anything to mess around with and I'm darn lucky to still be alive.

Good luck and take care! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 09/28/10  10:32pm
" I've had a few SHARP pains, and more dull achey sensations. I keep a notebook of my syptoms and possible causes. Seems to me, mine might be from the prednisone....not sure yet.

Yes you should ask your doc about it for sure. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 09/30/10  8:06am
" Yeah, don't mess around with chest pain. GI issues can cause chest pain; I've had gas that made me feel like I was having a heart attack. But I think it's a must see a doctor issue to rule out a heart issue, lung issue, too

I too have had a PEs in both lungs. I didn't have pain as a symptom but it's not uncommon for people to have pain. People die from PEs. I'm not trying to scare you but I just want to press upon you that you should see someone. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 09/30/10  12:37pm
" Here's another thought I had. Pericarditis. People with IBD are at risk for it. Also, if I recall I do remember reading about it in the literature I get with my mesalamine prescription. It can sometimes cause mesalamine induced pericarditis. So if you use mesalamine, that may be something to look into. In fact, I may mention that to my doc next time I see her and ask her if that is a possibility for me. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 09/30/10  2:41pm
" hey!i get sharp chest pains too!in that exact spot too!:( just never stressed.. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web