Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
Is it an IBD or IBS?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I'm 24 years old and ever since college I experienced what I believed to be mild symptoms of IBS. I didn't really think about it much because I dealt with it really well. I only had occasional upsets but for the most part was fine. About a year and half ago my symptoms got worse. Within a few months I went from getting occasional diarrhea to being unable to leave the house sometimes because I felt like I would have to go as soon as I left. My husband started getting very irritated with me because every time we would go somewhere I would want to go home early because I felt sick. So I finally saw a GI doctor. First thing I got was the colonosocpy. My DR immediately thought it was some sort of colitis given that he saw "mild, acute, colitis" and an ulcer in my colon (which he says could have been from the prep?). So after that he was pretty confident I would show other signs of UC or Crohns. So he started me out on Apriso and ordered more tests. However, every other test came out normal (CT, MRI, blood tests etc). Now he says it is probably just IBS and prescribed me a mild anti-depressant. This seems to help in that I don't feel the urgency all the time, but I still get frequent BMs, pain, nausea and diarrhea. It has been over a year and I finally saw a second GI for a second opinion. He says people with IBS usually have a normal colonoscopy but it could be right. The only way of him knowing is if I get ANOTHER colonoscopy.

So i guess I'm wondering if anyone has similar experiences before they were diagnosed and if I should get a second colonoscopy?

I appreciate any feedback I can get!
Posted on 05/04/11, 01:22 pm
2 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Crohn's Disease & Ulcerative Colitis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 05/04/11  7:22pm
" Diagnosis for my IBD was pretty easy for me. I went to sick call (Army) one day, named the symptoms to the doc and he instantly said colitis. The colonoscopy showed clear signs of UC right away. Point is, list the symptoms very clearly and get the test. It's worth knowing and should show pretty definitively after a year.
Key symptoms to pay attention to (at least for me, and I hope people will add to it):
Blood/mucus in stool
Frequency in stool
Sense of urgency, even when you don't pass much
Cramping/bloating
Excessive gas
Nausea
Consistent lightheadedness
Loss of appetite
Excessive, unshakable fatigue - this one was really key for me
Frequent diarrhea
Consistent diarrhea with certain foods (I could never eat Freschetta pizza, for instance, because I was guaranteed to have severe diarrhea)

I can promise you, the most important thing I wish I could change is the diagnosis. I waited at least 6 months too long to tell anyone there was a problem and go see a doctor. Catch it early. One test costs as much as one month of medication did for me, not counting doctor's visits, ER visits, procedures, etc. I've had this for more than a year. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 05/04/11  10:21pm
" Uhmmmm.....I've had 3 scopes this year, so I say, get another scope. I've had a total of 5, including upper and lower. The prep is the worst. But if your doc will let you, do the gatorade mixed with miralax prep - much much easier.

I let the docs do what ever tests need to be done in hopes of something will help. I hope something helps you soon.

I was diagnosed with IBS with chronic diahrea years ago, after a scope. That GI was worthless so later I put off treatment for a long time. I had chronic D, 15-20 times a day with large amounts of blood and mucus - but I waitied almost 9 months to go to a doc....now a year after treatment started, I'm still having the same problems. So yea, don't wait. Early treatment, could mean earlier remission.

Good luck and quick healing! "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web