Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Invisalign or braces?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Which is better? Is it okay for adults to have braces?
Posted on 08/09/10, 01:03 pm
11 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Cosmetic Dentistry, Surgery and Orthodontics. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 08/09/10  1:52pm
" I don't think there's any shame in having braces at any age! But Invisalign is a great option that, depending on your specific case, can be cheaper and take less time - so at the very least, it's worth exploring both options with your dentist.

You should make a pros vs. cons list with your dentist. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 08/13/10  9:35am
" Wow that's just the question which brought me here. Thanks for the advise! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 08/13/10  10:21am
" I've had both (regular braces in high school to fix crooked teeth, and now Invisalign to correct some bite issues) and here are my thoughts:

Invisalign Pros:
* Looks nicer, most people don't even realize I have them (I already look young for my age and would look like a teenager in metal braces!)
* You take them out to eat so you can eat any food you want (with metal braces you can't bite into things like apples or corn on the cob)
* Much easier to keep the braces and your teeth clean since you take them out to clean
* Can sometimes work faster than metal braces

Invisalign cons:
* More expensive
* Should wear for 22 hours a day for best results, so no munching on snacks all day!
* Annoying to have to brush and floss after every meal/snack/beverage -- you can only drink water while they're in.
* The dentist does cement tooth-colored bumps or "buttons" to a few teeth for the Invisalign aligners to snap onto. While not an issue for all people, these buttons can rub on your mouth and cause sores, and can pop off if you remove your aligners incorrectly.
* Each time you switch to a new set of aligners (which is every 2 weeks), your teeth may pretty sore for a day or two.

Overall, I'm happy with my Invisalign even though the cons are annoying, but since I only need to wear them for about 7 months I can deal with them for that amount of time! :) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 09/09/10  7:14pm
" If I had a choice, invisalign. I had braces, top and bottom, headgear, and had them for several years until I had a cavity develop between my front teeth (which 4 were root canaled and crowned) and I couldn't wear the braces ever again.

Wearing headgear is annoying, and painful, esp after they put new wires in and make your teeth soar. You need to brush, and use the mini brushes to keep all the brackets clean, and if the glue come up on a bracket, you can get stuff stuck under it, causing stains or cavities. I even had my headgear wired permanently into my mouth for 1 day to "teach me a lesson" to wear it more, which made me very upset.

I think braces are a bit barbaric. And they are probably just as expensive. Knock on wood, after having my braces removed to get the root canals, my teeth have shifted very little. My ortho wanted to keep me in braces for who knows how much longer, I think it was a money trap/pit to keep my parents spending money on all this stuff. I do agree with the correction of teeth, but there is more mouth friendly ways to go about it I would think.

My boyfriend have invisalign and it seems to work nicely for him. For me, invisible braces were a new and super expensive thing, but if I could go back, I would have asked for it because the amount of money invested into my dental work is in the couple $1000s, and if it were for my current dentist, I would probably owe more since she was kind enough to order and help pay for the nice precious metal crowns. My dad is disgusted that I have crowns because he has false teeth since he's been 18 (no dental when he was young back in the day) and he says there should be no excuse for it.

My advice, invisalign, you'll probably go through just as much soreness, and money, and more maintenance as you would picking braces. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 09/10/10  10:18am
" StrangeButFriendly, I'm sorry you had such a horrible experience with metal braces! Fortunately that is not the norm (so anyone considering metal braces shouldn't be that scared), but I am sorry you had to go through that :(

I will add that there are a few problems that Invisalign cannot correct and metal braces are required. The normal process is that your dentist or othodontist will give you a free evaluation -- they will take molds, x-rays, and photos of your teeth, then send them to the Invisalign company. Invisalign will reply back with whether or not they can correct your teeth. You don't pay anything until you agree to actually get the Invisalign braces (or at least that's my dentist's policy!)

Invisalign's website states that the cost of Invisalign varies from $3500 to $8000, with the average being around $5000. I paid just under $5000 for mine ... so regardless of whether you get metal braces or Invisalign, it will still be a big investment! Also check with your dental insurance, since not all insurances cover adult braces. (Which I think is silly -- I had to pay full price for my Invisalign even though I was getting them for valid health reasons, not purely cosmetic. My bite problems were causing sore and chipped teeth, which would only get worse if left untreated!) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 09/11/10  8:37am
" I am on my fourth set of invisalign and was very happy until the fourth set. With that set the lower appliance is not fitting well. Initially the front was rubbing against and "catching" onto my lower gum. My dentis filed it down and it was ok. Now I have a big canker sore/laceration or something on the underside of my tongue. Hurts like hell. Dentis out of town. Can only wear appllicance for a few hours before I need to take it out from the pain. Not sure what to do. Any advice would be helpful "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 10/26/10  3:40pm
" hi, i've good enough teeth, but i've a big enough gap between my heat, but i want to get rid of it, so idk what to do, the rest of my teeth are ok and i think theyre ok "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 12/08/10  4:30am
" honestly, I'm in braces now. I was told that if I had gone the invisalign route, I still would have to wear the traditional braces for 6 months to a year. I chose metal and never looked back. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 03/15/11  5:20am
" Hi,
Yes, anyone can wear braces, there is no shame in wearing it. I am having braced from the age of 8 and still I wear them. I used to have metal braces before, but now I have changed it to Invisible Braces. It is quite comfortable and looks good on me too. you can get more info about braces from here theinvisalignguide.co.uk "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 12/29/11  4:43am
" Obviously, anyone can wear braces if teeth is not properly aligned. If you compare then you find Invisalign braces as best as it is completely transparent and removable. Now-a-days Invisalign braces are available for all age groups of people. If you have got misaligned or crooked teeth then it is necessary to wear braces because it will properly align your teeth and give it proper shape.
http://www.invisalignbracesreviews.com "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web