Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
Non-religious higher power- any ideas?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
The codependency books I have read, and the group I have attended, refer to giving yourself over to God or your Higher Power. I am not a religious person but I am deeply spiritual and appreciate the power of the natural world.

I am really struggling with this concept. Any ideas?
Posted on 01/28/09, 06:32 pm
12 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Codependency. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 01/28/09  8:13pm
" I like using the Government as our higher power even if we do believe in God or not.

Then I see God as a highest of higher powers but the gov is still a big higher power.

Here in the USA we love our Constitution and Bill of Rights, and we all know well that we have the inalienable right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Those things really do control our society and affect our lives so it is a true higher power.

In Britain you have a wonderful Queen Elizabeth and a Labor gov and they set a true worthy example for the rest of the world, and everybody does watch the GBR.

And gov means the police too, because the police (or Bobbies) are the real representatives of that higher power.

Then in therapy or in groups our higher power (the gov) tells us that abuse is illegal, and no one has the right to hurt children or harm women or abuse anybody because it is all against the law.

We can actually call up the police and get help and put any abuser into jail (goal) and that is a realistic and true higher power.

If I call to God then some times I do not get an answer, but the police and the gov will always answer in one way or another and that makes it a higher power indeed. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 01/29/09  12:16am
" So many.

My sponsor suggested to write down every power greater than myself. I did, and focused on those that were beneficial.

Also, a group of people on a similar path can be a good higher power.

It can be infinite, ever changing, growing, undefined.

There are so many ways higher power can produce it/his/herself/theirselves...
Synchronicity
Intuition
Coincidence
A feeling of affirmation

To me, my higher power, who I call God, expresses themself in EVERYTHING. It's the connection that matters - when I reach my hand out, God is there to reach back. God can also be found in religion, and outside of religion. I think it is unfair to think of God as being excluded from religion, but I understand the atheist agnostic dilema.

In the AA book, there is a good chapter on "to the agnostic".

An open mind is the best thing - it sounds like you are there, just having the awareness that there is Not Not a higher power - that is all you need for willingness to believe a higher power can restore you to sanity. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 01/29/09  2:51am
" It was suggested to me to write down all the qualities I would want in a friend: are they
Kind? Patient? Loving? Ect, ect. When I brought the list to my sponsor she told me THAT was my Higher Power / God.
It is a God of MY understanding so I get to define the relationship which is a much closer relationship than I got from a religious perspective. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 02/02/09  1:12pm
" You say you appreciate the power of the natural world. To me there is no higher power, than the body, the animals and mothernature. This is my higher power, the natural beauty of the universe.

I also consider myself a spirtual being, I dont believe in restricted religions, although I was brought up a catholic, I do not go to mass or believe in these rigid practices. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 02/02/09  1:21pm
" If you attend CODA meetings, maybe you can use the "group" as your Higher Power until you're able to connect with your Spiritual stuff and the Natural World...totally go that route...you have a Higher Power, it's called the Natural World...good luck "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 02/02/09  3:48pm
" I guess I am not clear on how if you are spiritual and appreciate the power of the natural world, you cannot accept he concept of
a "higher power." For me I simply say... Spirit... or the Highest pure power that is within me and within everyone...
Good Luck "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 02/03/09  6:18am
" thanks to you all for your advice, it is really helpful. xxx "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 02/04/09  1:39am
" My highest power is the universe, infinity, nature, all of it. Everything and nothing. The energy that surrounds us, the air, water, earth, sun.
All of it is my definition of god. And that god is infinite, therefore I am also god and higher power. Not my sole person, but the conciousness and all that makes me and everyone is god. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 02/04/09  8:54am
" Thanks for that Kath08. That sounds like a version of God that I could relate to. Will mull it over... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 02/05/09  9:18am
" I'm an atheist & I use "justice" as my higher power, but I've also thought that "nature" made just as much sense.

~C "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web