Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Gastroparesis
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hello, I haven't posted in awhile. My husband Billy has Cirrhosis and Chronic Hep C - he is on the liver transplant here in Houston. He's been in and out of the hospital so many times, it's hard to keep up now.

Now, they have diagnosed him with GASTROPARESIS. Does anyone else here have this problem? Somehow, this is tied in with his liver not functioning properly. I know they said it was rare, and it would be our luck he has this.

We are still researching about this new problem.

Thanks for any feedback.

Regards,
Cynthia
Posted on 03/21/12, 09:18 am
7 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Cirrhosis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 03/21/12  6:57pm
" Personally I've never heard of it and from what I have seen in research, it doesn't have anything to do 'directly' with his liver.

From The Mayo Clinic:

"It's not always clear what leads to gastroparesis. But in many cases, gastroparesis is believed to be caused by damage to a nerve that controls the stomach muscles (vagus nerve).

The vagus nerve helps manage the complex processes in your digestive tract, including signaling the muscles in your stomach to contract and push food into the small intestine. A damaged vagus nerve can't send signals to your stomach muscles. This may cause food to remain in your stomach longer, rather than move normally into your small intestine to be digested.

The vagus nerve can be damaged by diseases, such as diabetes, or by surgery to the stomach or small intestine."

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ga...

Could this affect his liver diease? I would assume, yes. To the point that he would suffer nutritionally or that any abdominal surgery would be more complicated.

I hope that your husband doesn't have it. He is fighting hard enough with Hep C and cirrhosis.

Best of luck to you.

Blessings! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 03/22/12  9:17am
" Thanks Btrflyeffect, Unfortunately my husband does have this. They thought he was diabetic to have this but he is not. They won't do any surgerys until transplant........whenever that may be. I do know his MELD number went up, but not sure to what.

We are still praying for the best.

Thank you for your blessings, I appreciate it.

Regards,
Cynthia "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 03/24/12  5:06pm
" hi Cynthia,
I was so hoping your husband has his transplant by now. It's been a long road. It's been 20 months now since mine. And already, the Hep C, which doesn't go away with transplant, is causing phase 2 fibrosis in my new liver. They are not advising hep c treatments for me because of my genotype A1, and because my white count, red count, platelets are already low, weight is still low, etc. So, I just leave it in God's hands, hoping for a new treatment to come along in time. Right now, I'm working part time, helping some with grandkids, going to church.
I'll still be praying for your husband and for you. Marilyn "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 03/25/12  8:39pm
" Thank you Marilyn, no transplant yet. Although, his MELD has risen. We are also leaving this in GOD's hands. This gastroparesis is just as bad as the liver complications.

You too are in my prayers!! GOD bless....Cynthia "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 03/26/12  5:15pm
" Marilyn, Billy is also Genotype 1A. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 04/07/12  6:54pm
" Hi CV...my mom had gastroparesis related to her diabetes. It is a form of neuropathy. Didn't know it was linked to liver failure also.

From my experience, there were certain foods that triggered her episodes. You have to really watch the fiber intake. Since it is essential to good digestion, be sure to have him drink lots of water. It will help keep the fiber moving rather than sitting in the stomach. What happens is that bulky foods clump up and form what is called a "bezoar". Think of it like a hairball in a cat or a rubbery superball. It is nearly impossible to digest and then gets stuck which causes pain and discomfort. Small frequent meals is the key. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 04/08/12  8:51pm
" To all who are affected with this ailment, you are in my prayers and I will have this need added to our prayer circle at church. Thank God I don't have this sort of problem so cannot comment on it with any sort of surety. In all the research I have done I have not seen where it is due to liver disease specifically but that it is a neurological problem with physical consequences. My husband was a frequent patient at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., and he says that ny research through that facility is most likely as factual and accurate as you can get. He was there many times over the years for his polio which, as you know is a neuromuscular disease. I do wish you all well and pray that there will be a swift remedy. We were all hoping and praying that MLTTexas would have smooth sailing following the transplant but perhaps it will take more time to work out the current problems with the affects of HepC on the new liver. Blessings and hugs and prayers........CarolLentz "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web