Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
social security disability
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Have any of you gone on disability because of the cirrhosis?
Posted on 02/01/11, 09:56 pm
21 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Cirrhosis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 02/02/11  5:05am
" In the UK Cirrhosis by itself is not enough to claim disability benefits
The diagnosis has such a range of effects from non to bedridden.
So the Cirrhosis can be the cause of the symptoms But the incapacity is assessed on the symptoms, with cirrhosis secondary.
If you can prove that you have less than 6 months to live you can generally get all your pension paid in a lump sum and also disability allowance. But it is difficult to get a doctor to say this.
So any claim should be made citing the symptoms with the Cirrhosis secondary.
Mental health as a result of cirrhosis can be a factor "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 02/02/11  10:16am
" I got approved for disability last March though I began the application process almost a year prior. It was grueling with tons of paperwork and I did get denied the first time but then got approved when I submitted my paperwork for reconsideration. from what I understand I have will have a medical review after three years (now two more years) to determine if I am still eligible to receive benefits. Oh, and luckily I was able to start and complete my claim without the use of an attorney. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 02/02/11  10:33am
" I applied Sept 27 of last year and was approved 2 1/2 months later with no problem. I think some of it depends on your doctors. I had a 10 day stay at a hospital with 3 days in ICU and that helped alot. I have heard nothing about a review. I think it depends on how far your condition has progressed. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 02/02/11  10:34am
" ChelseyAnn is right. The paperwork is long, tedious and time consuming. The approval process can take 69 - 90, IF you are approved. My husband had a transplant, so his application was approved the first time, luckily. IF you are approved, you may still work and make up to $1,000.00 per month. Some companies will work with the employee to allow them to work and keep their insurance benefits. Unfortunately, my husband's was not one of them. We were able to COBRA for 12 months and are now in the State High Risk Insurance Pool. Keeping your insurance is EXTREMELY important. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 02/03/11  12:17am
" I have been on short term disability from my work since Aug 4, 2010. My short term ends on Feb 16th so my employer has a policy that once you end short term disabliity you need to go on long term disability at which time you are terminated from the company so Feb 17th my long term starts and they have approved me but stated that I must apply for SSD. My insurance company has approved my transplant ..... my son is giving me part of his liver. The insurance transplant coordinator told me to contact this company call allsup to assist with the application. I did and was told that they would take 25% of the lump sum backpay. Not sure about all of this but the allsup group states that I have a great claim. I to have hep C that has turned into cirrhosis, massive gastric veracies that cannot be banded and a bad case of hepatic encephalopathy. I am hoping that Blake and Chelsey might have the answer I need. So the symptoms got me approved for short term and now long term, lets see what gets me approved for SSD, especially after transplant.
JJ "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 02/03/11  12:25am
" Hi jjquinn :)
The thing with disability is they are tricky. Some people that really should get approved don't. My case worker had called me after I got denied and then put in for my reconsideration and told me he didn't know why I got denied in the first place and then I was approved shortly after. Alot does depend on your symptoms and diagnosis and also on what your doctor says and how you answer the questions on the disability form. The questions are endless and they seem like they repeat themselves but if you think about it you have the opportunity to make a very good case for yourself. I was told by my transplant hospital early on that immediately following transplant you are automatically approved for disability for a certain amount of time. I don't know if this helps but I do wish you the very best of luck and also, I'm happy to hear you are getting a transplant :)
Best wishes and prayers to you,
CA "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 02/03/11  6:24pm
" JJ, did you say you would lose your job when you go on long term diss. I am thinking about short term diss at my work. I am having problems with fatigue and HE. My job has 12hr shifts and it is imposible for me. I don't know how I will live on dissability, but if I must.... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 02/04/11  9:23pm
" Yes, my husband was recently approved. We applied on line, without an attorney, and it took about 3 months for the approval. I didn't find the application process as bad as I had heard it would be. The approval probably depends on the documentation the doctors have to support the claim. My husband, unfortunately, had several of the evaluation considerations as listed on the SS website. He too will be re-evaluated in 3 years. Good luck, it isn't the same as being able to work full time but it is a financial blessing! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 02/04/11  9:58pm
" I didn't use a lawyer either and even though it took me a year to get approved and no, it's not like the feeling you get from working full time you're right, it is a financial blessing so I'm grateful :) I'll have my review in 3 years too (well, less now since I've been on it almost a year) and I may consider going back to work part time too if I can find something that can deal with my being so tired all the time.
Take care everyone :)
CA "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 02/05/11  12:41pm
" If you're in the USA, you may want to read the SS disability page for liver disease at:
http://www.ssa.gov/disability/profe...

(SSDI and SSI are two completely different programs, but both use those same medical requirements.) "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 3 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web