Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Dental Surgery
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Have any of you had to have any extractions or dental surgery since your cirrhosis? I broke another tooth and I am thinking of extraction with the option of getting the other remaining ones out and get dentures. I have read though that there are problems with bleeding. I know that already. I will call both of my doctors Tuesday but just wondered if any of you others went through this.
Bonnie
Posted on 09/03/10, 11:38 pm
7 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Cirrhosis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 09/03/10  11:42pm
" Sorry I haven't but you should check with your liver doctor before you go to the dentist for sure. Bleeding can be a problem so they will probably want to take blood from you to check your platelets and clotting factor. I hate going to the dentist! I have not been in over 2 years. The last time I had my teeth cleaned, I cried in the chair it hurt so bad! And that was with laughing gas! I have super sensitive teeth and receding gums to boot! Good luck Bonnie! Let us know what they say:-) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 09/04/10  1:48pm
" DON"T DO IT without consulting your Dr. I am only in the early stages of cirrhosis and my platelets were so low the Dr. told me if i had any dental work done I would- not could- but would bleed to death. I too want top dentures but I have to wait til the platelets come up. Don't do anything like that with out consulting your Dr.! Please! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 09/04/10  2:21pm
" This can be a bit of an adventure. I had bad teeth and was told they all had to come out before transplant.

The dentist sent me to the dental surgeon who sent me to the hepatologist and they all checked a battery of tests.

In the end I had to go to the hospital for general anesthetic after vitamin K shots etc. 14 teeth came out.

To top it off, the docs wanted to limit me to the equivalent of Vicodan. Fortunately my boat medical kit has much stronger things and it was tolerable.

And - I'm supposed to be low sodium. I know everywhere that sells soup in that town. But my legs were looking like a turtle.

Fortunately the job was done in Brazil and the total cost was about USD$$500 including the hospital.

Start with your hepatologist Be sure to tell the dentist and good luck. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 09/04/10  11:01pm
" Reading everyone's comments, looks like I sure did it wrong.

Went in last year to fix an old filling, turns out had a microscopic hole way up in the root, he packed it up and scheduled me with an endodondist.

Endodontist did his work but still problems because it would never quite heal. Ended up going back and he cut a w-shape in my gums, scraped to roots and sewed me back up.

Final trim back to my regular densist for a grown.

I informed both my dentist and the endodist of my cirrhosis so they knew the sitution. Main thing was that they were careful not to give me medication with ibuprophen.

I go in next week for surgery on a torn rotator cuff, general anasthestic, pain pills and all else involved.

Spoke to my GI doctor about this and he had no problem. He was only concerned about major abdominal or heart surgery, even my shoulder surgery taking 2-5 didn't seem to bother him.

But as always, check with your doctor, we're all uniqu. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 09/05/10  4:34pm
" A few years ago, i had this, just didnt get diagnosed with it until last year. And in that time I got a severe jaw infection because of the broken teeth and exposed nerves and such. Anyways I was not yet diagnosed and had to have the surgery to have them all removed. I did not bleed out but it took a very long time to heal. between the infection and the removal i was in a lot of pain, but it ended alright. It sucks i have no more teeth at such an early age but that infection could have taken my life.

Just always do what the others have said, confer with your GP, liver doc. Good luck and if you get this done and get the dentures, be advised that no matter how bad it hurts get used to them. I stupidly got used to eating without them and caused a worse problem than the infection, and now i have tmj. but i dont regret losing the teeth, no more cavities \o/ "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 09/10/10  6:06pm
" Went to the doctor today and he ordered blood work to see if it would be possible to do dental surgery. If I can I will have the teeth removed where I work as they will take extra special good care of me, that need around for quite a while ;-]
Bonnie "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 09/15/10  6:54pm
" My husband, recently diagnosed w/cirrhosis, had to have a tooth extracted - did not think anything of it. Then he bled continuously for 3 days even after sutures, would up in the hospital for 3 more days for blood transfusions and vitamin K shots. Make SURE everyone involved knows you could have a bleeding issue! His blood levels still are even lower than what they were because of that episode, if only we'd known. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web