Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
Seizures
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
We have a friend here on DS dealing with friend having seizures. He has Cirrhosis, had a paracentesis done, extremely high ammonia, high fever, seizures, coma. Ammonia level back to normal range, fever normal again, in a coma (to some degree medically induced because when he started coming out the seizures began again). CT, MRI, etc. show no permanent brain damage. Docs can't figure out cause of seizures. Have any of you dealt with this type scenerio and have any ideas or suggestions she can present to the doctors or give to his son to present to the doctors (they aren't married and she doesn't have Power of Attorney)?
Posted on 12/30/09, 08:47 am
8 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Cirrhosis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 12/30/09  2:29pm
" Hubby had seizures back in late September. His was caused from spontanious brain bleeds,due to the damage done to his body(including weakened areas in the brain vessels) by his cirrhosis. He had cat scans that showed the brain bleeds. He is now on medication to keep the seizures at bay,but the damage from the cirrhosis continues. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 12/30/09  7:18pm
" Can they at least determine if the seizures are related to his liver disease? What caused his Cirrhosis anyway? If it was an autoimmune disease, maybe it is causing the seizures. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 12/30/09  10:55pm
" I'm sorry to say she was told this evening that there is severe brain damage and his liver has failed. They are going to do another CT and EEG tomorrow and on Monday want a decision from the family about discontinuing life support. Please keep them in your prayers. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 12/30/09  11:27pm
" I'm very sorry. Another probable victim of this awful disease.

Craig "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 12/31/09  7:27am
" I am so sorry that things have progressed to this point.
This is such a horrible disease.
My Mom had a lung transplant in 91 (She had A1Atd) she lived 9 weeks and 3 days waiting on a liver/ During the last 2 days her ammonia went so high that she went into what is called "Status Epilepticus" which is a state of continuous seizures.They also put her into a coma, They could never get her back and she passed a little more than a day later.
Gail "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 12/31/09  9:28am
" I am sorry to tell you I received this message this morning from Heartodixie1:

Frank passed away at 12:38 am. He's in a better place now. No more pain. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 12/31/09  2:27pm
" I am sorry. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 01/01/10  1:45am
" I am so sorry,another heartbreak. She and her family will be in my prayers. "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web