has anybody no about hcc
I was told i have hcc two month's ago and now they say i need to have chemo. BUT they told me it could cause me to go into liver failor.I don't know what to do?
Posted on 09/24/12, 05:44 am
Reminder: This is a support group for Cirrhosis. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 09/24/12  10:57am
" tomtom, I had hcc ( one tumor almost 5cm) that was diagnosed early in 2010, along with early Cirrhosis. I have had Hepatitis C for probably 35 years or so, which didn't make me sick until early 2010, when things started to change. Up to that point, I had not done any Hep C treatments.
I Apr., 2010, I was placed on the transplant list in Houston and started out pretty high on the list because o the HCC. While I waited, 2 cheoembolizations (TACE) were done, where they injected chemo directly into the tumor. Both times, the tumor was shrunk significantly. Since the chemo was enclosed in my tumor, the only side effects I felt was extra tiredness for about a month while the chemo was killing cancer cells. I was also put on pills called Nexavar, which is a traget treatment for liver cancer, but I had had side effects from that, so I couldn't stay on it. However, many people don't have sever side effects, and Nexavar helps to stop down and sometimes stop the growth of the cancer. Both of the treatments I mentioned do not heal the HCC, only slow down the growth or maybe even stop it from growing and spreading.
I was on the transplant list only 3 months. Now, 2 years later, the Hep C, which doesn't go away with transplant is attacking my new liver. The cancer has not returned. People who don't have Hep C usually do much better after transplant.
If they can't remove part of your liver because of the location, or if the HCC has spred to the lungs or bone, the chemo I mentioned, as far as I know, are the only options. Stay in close touch with your docs and listen to them.
I'll be praying for you, and I hope you will keep in touch. We all care. Marilyn "
Reply #2 - 09/24/12  10:59am
" I misspelled a few words in my post, since I didn't proofread. "
Reply #3 - 09/24/12  3:03pm
" Thank you for your reply.My tumor is 3.2 cms it hasen't spread but because i have advance cirrohsis and Hepc they say tace could cause problem's. But they want me to have treament. They say i will have a better chance of it not coming back I am listed with one person ahead of me.I hope it is soon.When you found out you had Hepc did you have a viaral load i never had one.It is 1A. "
Reply #4 - 09/27/12  4:15am
" If you get this message you can email me at tomtom4u86@yahoo.com "
Reply #5 - 09/28/12  8:23pm
" tomtom, yes, when I found out about 13 years ago or so that I have Hep C, they doc said I probably had had it for 25 years or so. My VL then was around 1,000,000. Now, 2 years after my transplant, with the Hep C attacking my new liver, my VL is 12,000,000! "
Reply #6 - 10/05/12  9:23am
" I have HepC induced cirrohsis. but i have never had a VL Load thank for answer. "
Reply #7 - 10/13/12  11:09am
" My doctors told me that HCC basically bumps you up to the top of the transplant list, as long as you're healthy enough and have abstained from alcohol for the minimum six months.

I have an MRI every six months along with a new Alpha Fetoprotein test to watch for things. So far it's been 5 1/2 years with nothing, but cirrhosis does put you at a higher risk.

They watch for tumors, so far none. But if they do start appearing, I believe 5cm is the cutoff point where they start considering a transplant.

Marilyn is much more experienced in this area, just thought I'd add my $.02 worth. "