Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Methadone stronger than oxycodone?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I switched from 10 mgs. methadone 3 times a day to 10 mgs. of oxycodone 2 times a day. The methadone worked for pain but made me nutty. Oxycodone is better for that but this dosage doesn't seem to be helping me as much as the methadone did for pain. I am going to the doctor to try to get the oxycodone up to 20mgs. Should I ask for 3 times a day instead of two? My pain is unbearable right now. If I take more than I am supposed to he will count it and i will get in trouble. I don't want him to think I am a drug addict either. He is a good Dr. and he knows my pain. But I don't want to push it with him. I really think that oxy will work at these doses and we can stick to this medication. Should I dare ask him or just go back to methadone for pain relief but remain nutty? Help! Also, is Methadone really considered stronger that oxycodone?
Posted on 03/10/08, 06:01 am
6 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Chronic Pain. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 03/10/08  9:14am
" Methadone is stronger but is more addictive than oxycodone. One thing is methadone is stronger on pain but you may be having some withdrawals from the methadone which makes you feel like you are in more pain. I don't know how long you have been off of the methadone but it could take up to 30days of withdrawal type feelings. You can always ask to go back and get something to help with the side effects or have your doctor suggest ways to handle what you are going through. When I was oxycodone I was 3 times a day smaller does. I have been on methadone now for a while......hope this helps Mini "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 03/10/08  9:29am
" what i have found is that you have to go into the doctors and tell them what you need to be comfortable be in control if they see you being timid and not sure they will be in control "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 03/10/08  11:04am
" Everyone is different when it comes to this. Ask yourself this question... Does the med work at all, or does it wear off in 8 hours? That will tell you what to discuss with your doctor.

Doug/Ouch "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 03/10/08  11:22am
" My dr has mentioned trying me on methadone instead of oxycodone due to the cost. I guess I'm asking the same question.... which drug is better or stronger? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 08/27/08  9:52pm
" I was on methadone for years. It was an excellent drug for my chronic pain, but very, very hard to come off it. Not as hard as oxycontin, but still pretty hard. I agree w/ Manny123, doctors loathe being told what to prescribe you. Even if you're being helpful and positive. This took yrs for me to learn. I pray it goes well for you... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 08/29/08  8:12pm
" I have been on methadone for almost 8 years now. I have actually weaned myself down to 6 mg. from 90 mg and this took years and yes the withdrawls are pretty bad. I'm just started 2 days ago on avinza 30mg. (long acting morpahine). I have been struggling with going on a different long,acting drug vs take short acting. Surgeon told me today that he thought I should try it without long acting. I'm so confused. I went to the pain dr (his nurse practioner) on a high pain day. I asked for something different for break through and came out with all new drugs. I guess I just want to be normal and hope that my brain re-wires and I can just take meds when i need them. I just wanted to add my 2 cents in Methadone is a great drug for pain and it served me well for years but coming off of it is a bear! "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web