Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Back / hip pain linked to hysterectomy?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I'm curious how many women here had a hysterectomy years ago and have back pain. Do you also have hip pain? If you had it before the hyst, has it gotten worse? It seems like the anatomical / skeletal changes caused by hysterectomy would eventually cause back and hip problems. I'm 5+ years post-op (gyn should have only removed a cyst or one ovary but took everything) and have occasional back pain and fairly frequent hip / upper, outer thigh pain. The hip / thigh pain feels like poor circulation and is especially bad after sitting for long periods.
Thanks for your input!
Posted on 11/03/11, 07:06 pm
28 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Chronic Pain. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 11/04/11  9:37am
" I have had back problems before I had my hyster done. But I would say I do have worse days now with my back/hip pain. Guess I never thought about it but hmm... I wonder if mine is linked? I am about 2 years post hysterectomy.... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 11/07/11  9:31pm
" Hip pain seems fairly common even in the short-term because of the convoluted position of the body during hysterectomy surgery. The weird thing is that I had hip pain the first couple of years in my right hip but it's gotten better. I now have different feeling pain (poor circulation) in my left hip plus some back pain. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 11/08/11  4:24am
" Yes, but I hurt my back and had surgery on it I'm 4 years out,could have to do with lower or no hormones,and slow calium levels.
Chemo and radiation I've heard causes bones to be more brittle and everything in general is more painful. But this adds a question to add to my list for the Dr. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 11/08/11  8:58am
" i have major low back pain, hyst in 2000, they dont why i have pain!hips not so much. Iam having a lap to see if I have adhesions on the 22nd, maybe you do too? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 11/08/11  9:06am
" I am 4 years post op; they took everything because of cancer stuff.
I did have back pain then but not near as bad as now.
I have low back pain and hip pain that goes down my left leg. My pain is alot worse now.
I never thought about a connection. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 11/08/11  11:11am
" Wow, interesting. I am 41 now, but had a hysterectomy when I was 23. I have chronic low back and hip pain that has been getting worse as the years go by. I also have left shoulder pain (surgery about 6 yrs ago) I am so frusterated! I work in healthcare, see the addiction issues with pain meds and so afraid to fall into that. I recently tried Ralivia. It worked for a a couple weeks (OK) but now I am getting NASTY side effects- headaches, blurred vision, severe nausea, heartburn, not sleeping, heart palpitations- you name it- I pretty much got it! I am calling my doctor today to discuss a switch. I know it is going to have to be strong as I have tried all the OTC meds, accupuncture, physio, spent thousands on "devices" like decompression belts, pillows, natural remedies....Any ideas? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 11/13/11  3:05pm
" Thanks for all the replies! I'm sorry you all are also dealing with this! Adhesions can also cause pain. But the assault to our pelvic integrity causes the spine to compress and the rib cage to fall onto the hip bones which is usually the explanation for the lower back and hip pain. I can see evidence of this compression in me - I have a crease 2" above my navel all across my stomach. It started to develop about 18 months post-op and just kept getting longer. It's certainly changed my view of doctors - there seem to be too many that do more harm than good!

I wonder if using an inversion table on a regular basis would help - seems like it would kind of decompress the spine. Have any of you tried that? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 01/25/12  6:22pm
" Resurrecting this thread. Anyone else have input? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 01/25/12  11:20pm
" YES! I had a hysterectomy in August so I am not even a year out. Not only do I have excruciating hip and lower back pain now but I also have pelvic pain. It actually feels like the pain is in my bones in my pelvic region. After walking or moving around for a bit the pain is so intense that I have trouble doing anything else for the rest of the day. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 01/25/12  11:36pm
" Wow I could have wirtten this myself. I had a total hysterectomy in 2003 after a breast cancer diagnosis in 2002. I recently found out that my spine is starting to curve as well. I went to a orthopedic/spine doctor today because I think this problem is beyond my GP's area of treament. So I am to have an MRI to check the spine as well as my hips where I have arthritis which he thinks upon exam is not arthritis. I have good periods of little to no pain and then days where I want to scream or cry in pain. I have done a few back exercises when the pain gets bad and they seem to ease the pain some what. While I do not want to rely on pain meds tylenol is not doing much and I can't take motrin because of clotting issues. I do want to start with the least invasive form of pain relief and I think maybe this could be physical therapy and work from there. So I do think there may be something to this. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 3 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web