Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Gabapentin and antacids
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
The prescription bottle and medication insert both say to not take antacids within two hours of taking gabapentin. Does anyone know why? I have tried looking everywhere online and all it says is it effects how it breaks down the gabapentin in the stomach. What does that mean? Will it not work as well? Or will it cause you to get too much of the medication at once, causing the side effects to be stronger?

I have acid reflux disease and take prevacid or pepcid usually and don't take antacids, but my boyfriend takes rolaids for his occasional heartburn and it got me thinking. I'd probably just stay away from antacids just to play it safe, but was curious.
Posted on 01/14/11, 11:08 pm
6 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Chronic Pain. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 01/15/11  1:28am
" It appears antacids block absorption of the gabapentin, reducing its effectiveness by up to 20%. I read this is particularly serious for those who take it as an anti-seizure med. One tip for searching: google the med names plus the word "interaction". Works for me :) I have a rx for gabapentin but haven't taken it yet. I'm sure others here have more experience with it if further details are needed. Hope this helps a bit :) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 01/15/11  3:28pm
" just be is correct, you wont absorb your gabapentine. i have the worst GERD! and i would die for about 2 hrs after taking my gabapetin and if i remember corectly you have to take gabapetine a few times a day due to its short half life.

you should ask your doc about once daily prilosec if you get chronic heartburn. its been a miricle for me! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 01/15/11  4:41pm
" i have gerds comes and gose .theres a few meds out there justbenice gave good advice hugs minnie "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 01/15/11  5:01pm
" Thanks for the info JustBeNice! I will do that when searching from now on. I take it for nerve pain, not for seizures, so I feel a little better now. You should fill your Rx! It takes a few days or so to really feel the effects, but it has helped a lot! Just make sure you follow your dr's directions and gradually up the dosage. It can make you drowsy, clumsy, a little out of it, etc. But it's a great med for nerve pain.

Rayfoof- I meant to say I take prilosec, not prevacid. My dr was the one who told me to stop the prevacid and take prilosec. I take the gabapentin three times a day so I don't take antacids cuz it's too hard to space it out 2 hours between meds. I'd rather not worry about it so I avoid them all together. The prilosec totally helps with my gerd more than anything else has. I, like you, get it really bad so it has been a life saver! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 01/16/11  1:29pm
" I know isn't GERD annoying! its definatly the least of my problems but dude it makes me nuts! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 01/16/11  1:33pm
" For sure the least of our worries but it's such a pain in the arse! If it's not the pain waking me up at night, it's gerd, making me feel like I'm gonna throw up hot lava all over myself! "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web