How Do I Convince My Doctor I Need Pain Med
I've been suffering with shoulder, neck and knee pain for about 7 years now. (Bad car accident in Jan, 2000) It's getting worse as I get older. Plus all those injuries are slowly getting operated on now. (I'm 51) Laying down in bed has to be the worst position of all. Isn't that just great! (ie: NO SLEEP!) I do get some sleep, but trying to get out of bed REALLY hurts. I have to sit at the edge of the bed for a while and let everything kind of settle back into place. Morning pain is at a level 10 every morning. The only thing that really works for me is Vicodin, but my doctor doesn't want to give them to me. I'm not a kid looking to get high! I feel insulted at the thought! I really do need them. Just one in the morning, and not even every morning.
Sorry to say, I have a friend who can get them from time to time. But I hate to buy it off the street. Plus it makes me feel low doing that, and what if I get caught? Jail?

So......any advice on how to get him to trust me with Vicodin? They're made for people in pain....."That's me"!

PS..Is it legal to buy Vicodin from Canada. If so, does anyone have a web site I can check out?
Posted on 08/27/07, 10:39 am
Reminder: This is a support group for Chronic Pain. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 08/27/07  11:33pm
" I totally relate to what you are saying. I suffered for years and then finally figured out that it was my neck. Even then the docs acted like they would run the tests to placate me. Well, it was messed up in five places, but because so many years went by there is permanent nerve damage, so pain meds are a must.

Now, to what you are asking: The medical records helped to prove I wasn't trying to get high, but desperately wanted to be out of pain. I still had to kiss three frogs before I got to the Prince and he didn't hesitate to make my life better. For me, even Loratab throughout the day was a roller coaster, and this new Pain Specialist put me on the Fentanyl patch, only 25 miligrams. I swear it's the first time in years that I have truly had relief. So to finish, keep going to doctor after doctor until you get a good one. One of my frogs told me I just need to get a good nights sleep and be happy. He's lucky I am not a "go postal" type. If I can help in any way, let me know. Good luck. deb "
Reply #2 - 08/28/07  1:00am
" oh gosh, don' get it off the street! If you get caught with a controlled substance with out a script for it in your name you can go to jail for illegally posessing a controlled substance. Find another doctor, I take 3-4 per day for my back and neck pain, and I have been for the last 3-4 yrs. Its not unusual to tkae tha tfor this type of pain good luck "
Reply #3 - 08/28/07  1:22am
" I understand how you feel. My pm doc has told me that he cain't keep on THROWING pills at me. I am on methadone. He wants to do injections in my spine due to arthritis and ddd. I keep on saying no and that is really irritating him. Basically he has told me that he is giving me three months to decide to have the injections because he will stop the methadone. I understand that it is a hard med but I don't take it for a high neighter. I understand that there is a lot of problems that can arise from taking the pain med. I am going to have to pay for other bad apples in the group. What I am saying is when we was in school the teacher didn't know who did the wrong so everyone had to be punished. Because of that one bad apple everyone will pay. "
Reply #4 - 08/28/07  2:24pm
" I suffered for 5 yrs. before I was diagnosed and then was given pain meds. I advise you to go to other doctors. Go to an arthritis Dr. or even Pain Management. Take all your past medical records with you and ask a family member that knows how you are suffering go to the Dr. with you and speak up for you. Agree to sign something stating you won't ask for refills, loos the meds or have other excuses to get them early. Ask for a referral to a pain management Dr. It is very hurtful. My Dr. for 10 yrs. didn't treat me right with my pain and I had to leave and find someone who would. The Dr.'s I saw usually said I was drug seeking or that I was depressed. Well, yeah. I was in pain 24/7...that tends to depress a person I reckon! I pray for you and good luck. "
Reply #5 - 08/28/07  3:42pm
" I'd change doctors.
My GP referred me to a PM himself.
Some are just afraid to script pain meds.
Don't live with that kind of pain honey.
::huggzz:: "
Reply #6 - 08/28/07  4:54pm
" I just want you to know you are not alone. I am in the same position as you, but, it's REALLY hard for me to get the meds I need, because I am a 22 year old college student, and only have health insurance through my school. Of course they think i'm a drug seeking kid (I am not). I have tried to use my hydrocodone as little as possible, but its so hard b/c i am in pain everyday. good luck and take care! "
Reply #7 - 08/28/07  5:41pm
" I can't add to the advice..b/c mine would be for you to keep looking for a doctor that's going to take you and your PAIN seriously.

I'm sorry you're going through this. I think we've ALL been through what you're going through right now.

I wish you the best...Becky "
Reply #8 - 08/28/07  10:01pm
" My dr won't presribe vicodin either. He tells me I can't possibly have flares so I don't need it. "
Reply #9 - 08/28/07  10:56pm
" FIND A DOCTOR, PAIN MANAGEMENT. KISSED MANY ROGS, THEN FOUND MY LIFESAVER. I ACTUALLY BELEIVED IF NOT FOR HER. I WOULD OF DONE SOMETHING. DON'T GET CAUGHT WITH
CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE WITHOUT LEGAL SCRIPT, FELONY, JAIL TIME. GOOD LUCK TO YOU. JANE "
Reply #10 - 08/29/07  1:34pm
" If you want to stick with your doc..ask for referral to pain management. Not only can they prescribe the appropriate med ..they can do nerve blocks to help you get some relief as well. Good luck to ya but please use someone to help you manage the pain to allow you some quality of life! "