Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
Mecication question about Morphine
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I currently am prescribed 10 mg oxycodone twice a day and 100mg of tramadol in the evening. The tramdol is not helping and the percoct is starting to decrease as far as relieving my pain. My pain level is out the roof and i have an appt in 4 days my pcdoc want to put me on morphine. I dont know what the oral form of it is like only the morphine shots and they only make me itch and nauseated. would anyone be willing to educate me on any negative side effects of morphine tablets. I hear its non addictive which is a good aspect. Im just concerned that i will get nauseated, tired, constipated and overall sick feeling any info or suggesstions would be greatly appreciated thanks for reading this hope you all have the pain relief you deserve God Bless :)
Posted on 12/12/11, 07:50 pm
7 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Chronic Pain. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 12/12/11  8:05pm
" Ummmm, I don't know why you hear Morphine is "non-addictive"...It is an opioid analgesic.

I have been taking it for several months as an extended release pain medication. I had previously tried Tramadol, Methadone, Hydrocodone and Flexeril.

Currently, I am using the Morphine ER 30 x 2 per day; I have baclofen and hydrocodone for BT pain as well.

You definately have to take care of your bowels, as with any opioid pain medication. Everyone is different. I have worked closely with my doc and, I currently take 2 Sennakot S daily with my morning meds...they have the stool softener and the laxative effect in them. I also take 1 tsp of Miralax daily in a glass of water and...for tough times, I use a glycerin suppository.

It is important to drink a lot of water and, stay with your medication schedule. Don't skip doses or take at varying times. It helps to keep the pain from escalating if you are timely with your daily doses.

Overall...I am very happy with the morphine. While I still have pain, it is more manageable than previous and, the BT meds help during the day for more functioning.

In support! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 12/12/11  8:11pm
" Everybody reacts differently - extended release morphine worked well for me for pain - but actually gave me horrible insomnia - I had to switch to fentanyl patches in order to be able to sleep.

If your insurance will cover it the extended release form is worth asking for as it levels out your pain control - but you still may need an as-needed med for breakthrough pain. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 12/12/11  8:54pm
" I can tell you that morphine is highly addictive. As already mentioned, it is an opiod pain killer. God, do I wish it weren't addictive. I am on a sustained release morphine now for 3 years. Constipation is the worst of my side effects. I take my meds exactly as prescribed at the same times each day. Better to be safe than sorry. MOrphine is a serious medication. People can overdose. Good luck to you.

heatherhurts "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 12/12/11  10:35pm
" THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR TELLING ME ITS ADDICTIVE !! someone told me because its extened release and you dont get a high from it , its less addictive than the other opiods WOW DO I FEEL SILLY I GUESS I BEST BE CAREFUL WHERE I GET MY INFO . anyway I THINK I WILL PASS CUZ I HAVE SEVERE BOWEL PROBLEMS ALREADY MAYBE I CAN TALK TO DOC ABOUT A PATCH BUT DOES THAT JUST WORK ON THE SPOT YOU PUT IT ON??OOPS CAPS cuz my pain is in my low back , thighs and pelvic area. thank you all again for setting me straight on the info. hugs leslie "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 12/13/11  8:10am
" While over the counter heat patches may only work on the area placed. Pain med patches such as duregesic or butrans and lidoderm distribute medicine into the blood stream and throughout the body. They work very well because of this.
Morphine and phentanyl are very strong and while addictive there is some confusion between addiction for abusers and acclimation or resistance in chronic and extreme pain patients. Patients tend to physically addict and acclimate meaning it takes stronger and stronger doses over time to kill pain, its not to get high. While abuser's take more and more always searching for the feelings they used to get when begining to use drugs.
I took MS contin for three years at large doses for terrible pain, weaned for a few months and was still very sick for about a week when finally able to stop taking it. In all the time I took it I never got buzzed, but it was a godsend for the pain.
Your med levels seem relatively low dose, but pain and medecine is different for everyone. Be sure before using such strong meds but don't be afraid of them. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 12/13/11  9:12am
" I take mscontin 15mg at night, it is helpful, it made me very sleepy at first, they can give you something or tell you what to take if you itch from it, I think it will be a nice even medication, instead of the up and downs.It that didnt help you could think about oxycontin, which is your percocet, but time released without the tylenol. good luck.
I also have low back/pelvic pain maybe we could chat sometime? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 12/13/11  11:43am
" I am on oral morphine es 200mg x2daily, and it doesn't get rid of all of my pain but it does bring it to manageable levels. As far as side effects constipation is the only one ive had to deal with, and thank to dr oz's suggestion of drinking peppermint herbal tea daily im all set without having to take another pill for a side effect. "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web