Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML) Support Group
Chronic myelogenous leukemia affecst the balance of blood cells in the body, disrupting the normal balance. The cancer cells eventually begin to outnumber and push out the good cells, and could lead to anemia and easier bleeding/bruising. If you or a loved one is diagnosed with CML, this is the community to discuss your experience.
deleted_user
Hi everyone my name is Dave. My wonderful wife Melissa has already been on this site and has now introduced myself. I was diagnosed with CML on May 9, 2011. This is all entirely new to me and I'm still in shock. I appreciate to read all of your inspiring messages on here, but what am I truly in for? Having leukemia for only three long weeks I'm still not understanding on what to expect in the future.
All I know is that the doctors were kind of happy to diagnose me with chronic and not acute leukemia. For the first 2 days in the hospital thru were not telling me if it was Acute or Chronic. To be honest I didn't know anything about the two diseases. They were just saying that I might have to stay in the hospital for about a month. The next thing you know I was going home on my Fifth day. I was so happy to go home I wasn't even paying attention to what the doctors or nurses were telling me. Thank god for my wonderful wife and support team (family).
I'm just so confused because everyone keeps telling me how lucky I am, but I can't discover we're I'm lucky. When I tell people I'm taking chemo in a pill form they think I'm joking or hey no big deal they respond. I never look for attention or for people to feel bad for me. I actually limit who I tell about my current health issue. I want to try to put this behind an move on to my old lifestyle. I just hope this disease allows you to do so.
My entire life I've rarely ever been sick and I always keep myself in great physical shape. I'm aggressive in business and positive on life. I just don't want to change these qualities about myself. I feel like I'm becoming a different person towards my family and friends. Instead of being the one everyone looked up to feel like everyone is looking at me as this sick man now.
My appearance other then a few pounds less has not even changed it's mostly perception of my illness. How does everyone this site handle these change? How do you adapt and move on with CML? I appreciate all recommendations to making me understand what to expect and how to get through this every day with a positive outlook.
Thank you
Dave
All I know is that the doctors were kind of happy to diagnose me with chronic and not acute leukemia. For the first 2 days in the hospital thru were not telling me if it was Acute or Chronic. To be honest I didn't know anything about the two diseases. They were just saying that I might have to stay in the hospital for about a month. The next thing you know I was going home on my Fifth day. I was so happy to go home I wasn't even paying attention to what the doctors or nurses were telling me. Thank god for my wonderful wife and support team (family).
I'm just so confused because everyone keeps telling me how lucky I am, but I can't discover we're I'm lucky. When I tell people I'm taking chemo in a pill form they think I'm joking or hey no big deal they respond. I never look for attention or for people to feel bad for me. I actually limit who I tell about my current health issue. I want to try to put this behind an move on to my old lifestyle. I just hope this disease allows you to do so.
My entire life I've rarely ever been sick and I always keep myself in great physical shape. I'm aggressive in business and positive on life. I just don't want to change these qualities about myself. I feel like I'm becoming a different person towards my family and friends. Instead of being the one everyone looked up to feel like everyone is looking at me as this sick man now.
My appearance other then a few pounds less has not even changed it's mostly perception of my illness. How does everyone this site handle these change? How do you adapt and move on with CML? I appreciate all recommendations to making me understand what to expect and how to get through this every day with a positive outlook.
Thank you
Dave
Posts You May Be Interested In
-
Is anyone here allergic to Sulfa that is currently taking Diamox? I have been diagnosed with IH now for almost 2 years. I am allergic to Sulfa drugs meaning that my throat will swell up so my Neurologist put me on Topamax. I was suffering from major loud whoosing noises and the topamax helped that but everyday I still hear those mainly between 6 - 12 pm. I am at my wits end and have not went...
-
My 6mo twin DD's are EBF and just started rice cereal on the first. Everything has been going fine except this morning one of them had a diaper rash (lots of redness around her anus). I read this as one of the signs of an allergy. BUT I did just buy a different brand diaper yesterday (which they have used randomly before w/no issues). Do you think its the cereal or the diaper? Im ready to start...
Now 15 years ago a CML diagnosis wouldn't have garnered many smiles from anyone because it would have meant that ultimately within a few years the disease would progress to the third phase, blast crisis, where it looks pretty much like an acute leukemia. Fortunately a little over ten years ago, Gleevec was discovered and for most people diagnosed with CML the disease went from a fatal disease to a manageable chronic condition. This is where the "you're lucky" part comes in. It's not that we're lucky we got leukemia, it's that out of all the leukemia's to get, we were lucky enough to get the one that has the best treatment options and survival rates.
I had one of the first oncologists I saw tell me "you got the cancer I can treat. One pill a day and you carry on. Who's luckier than you?" Whose luckier than me? Lots of people, but at the same time, I walked out of his office past many patients with other types of cancers who would have given anything to be in my shoes and have the treatment options I have. So it's a mixed emotion kind of thing. Sucks we got cancer, but at least we got the one with the best odds!
Speaking of medication, I set up a reminder on my cell phone that goes off every nite at 10pm to remind me to take my gleevec. I absolutely hate that ringtone because it always reminds me that I have leukemia. But I take my medication on schedule & let myself feel sorry for myself for a few minutes. And I think my regimented mediction schedule has helped because my last bloodwork came back all in the normal range! It helps to put our CML treatment in perspective - 1 pill, once a day instead of other cancers where chemo &/or radiation &/or surgery are the only options.
To sum it up, I think you need to cut yourself some slack & try not to focus on how you are going to keep a positive outlook. It sounds like you have a supportive family who love you and that's a major positive. And remember that God only gives us what He thinks we can handle. Trust me, it does get easier. Gina
Susan
I will say though that without God, I do not know how far I would have gotten with everything.
Take Care and Stay with us on here.
Susan
It's time to take a break of reading medical topics and to go to this link:
The march toward healing
http://www.cmleukemia.com/other-support.html
Welcome to the group
Gilles