Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Muscle Weakness?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Earlier today, I was walking through Walmart and all of the sudden I felt like my legs were going to collapse on me as if they were too tired to keep going. Do you know what I mean? Has anyone felt that before? Later on, my arms felt like that too. Right now, I'm kind of feeling weak. I'm not sure how to describe it. The bad thing is, I have to go walk up a hill to go get my daughter from the bus stop and my husband is unable to leave work. But I don't have to leave for another 50 minutes so I'm hoping the resting I'm doing will help.
Posted on 11/15/13, 04:38 pm
11 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 11/15/13  4:58pm
" Yes. Definitely. I've had times when my grandkids were babies that I couldn't trust myself to hold them standing up. They just...go... on you, out of the blue? I never did get a real reason for it but it did get better when I got my sugar under control (I'm hypoglycemic) and when I stay hydrated. I know there's not much time but try gettting some fluids in and if you haven't eaten some protein in the last few hours try some cheese or an egg with some OJ for potassium or something quick before you head out.. hope you feel better!
These days it really only happens when I push way too much and it's my first sign of a crash. Do you maybe have a friend who can get your daughter or drive you up the hill? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 11/15/13  6:34pm
" My husband washes dishes for me a lot. Sometimes I just can't keep a grip. I've broken more dishes over the last 4 years than I have in the rest of my life, combined!
I'm thinking about getting a lightweight folding stool to take with me when I go shopping, just so I can sit down in the checkout line.
Is that crazy??? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 11/15/13  7:15pm
" One of the hardest things for me to do is work in the kitchen! I'm not lazy! I like to cook, BUT, I can't stand up for very long without getting extremely dizzy and then the weakness in the legs kicks in. After that it's all downhill and I must sit.

I know the feeling you are talking about. If I'm out walking down a road, this is less likely to happen to me, than if I'm just standing still. I'm sure it something to do with how our blood pressure drops suddenly when we're not moving, or when we change positions suddenly.

CFS isn't understood by most people, unfortunately, but what actually happens to me with my legs giving out on me is that my legs actually feel as though they can no longer hold me up. I'm not tired, my legs haven't been overworked......they just become exhausted like the rest of me, and I need to sit down and rest. I've had to sit down quickly in stores on their sneaker dislplays! LOL..I don't care. My legs just won't take one more step without getting some rest first!

So, yes......the leg weakness happens to me very often. If I sit for fifteen minutes, I can get up and keep moving!! The thing I need to learn is to not walk too far, or overuse my legs to the point where this happens to me. I'm learnin! Jeepers, you'd think I'd have this down by now! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 11/15/13  7:35pm
" I've had it so bad that I've had to reach down and lift my leg up with my hands to get it into my truck so I can close the door. It comes and goes like everything else...sometimes my hands are so weak I can't operate the push switches on the aquarium lights without really trying hard.

Then other times I have no trouble doing work with hand tools like hatchets and hammers. It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. How can I be strong enough to pick up a heavy bag of fertilizer in the morning, then have trouble with light switches in the evening? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 11/15/13  7:35pm
" You bet, its a hallmark of this disease and the ME/CFS Canadian consensus criteria describe it this way

"2. Post-Exertional Malaise and/or Fatigue: There is an inappropriate loss of physical and mental stamina, rapid muscular and cognitive fatigability..." "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 11/16/13  4:36am
" I've had incredible muscle weakness but fortunately I've had a little more warning.

One time I was laying on the couch with my feet and lower legs resting on my boyfriend's lap. He wanted to get up and I could not pick my legs up. I was worried he'd just get up and I'd fall off the couch because I was so weak. After an hour or so I was able to walk. That was just once but very weird.

I've had many times when I stand to leave the room and immediately sit back down because I realize I'm not going to make it. I rest a few minutes and then I can slowly go. Or if I get help I can hold on to someone's arm. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 11/16/13  8:17am
" Also wanted to point out this is a possible sign of one of the actually testable issue for CFS under the Social Security disability system, which is postural hypotension, along with orthostatic hypotension, which most folks know about because it's more well known - you know, you are sitting or laying, you stand up and the blood doesn't move fast enough and you get dizzy or weak. But with postural hypotension it happens after you've been up standing or walking for a while (more standing still than walking because walking pumps the blood better)... the tilt table test diagnoses this issue. I had one a while ago that came back positive and it helped me get ssdi. Doc let me have it when I told him I was usually fine if I got up slow but if I say, went into the groc store and stood at the deli counter I'd get weak and dizzy after about 3 minutes. Tests showed a small drop in bp when going upright and a major one 4 minutes later with a pulse change of 25% "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 11/16/13  10:43am
" Oh yes. It actually happened to me yesterday in walmart, which is a place I HATE but had to pick up a prescription. The legs just went. I leaned against something for a little while, and this particular time it lessened.

There've been times I had to sit down...no way around it. I've even sat down in parking lots, just because I couldn't keep walking without keeling over. Try explaining THAT to someone.

Wouldn't it be lovely if stores and other places would stick benches or chairs here and there throughout the store? We're not the only ones who could use them. I've seen some elderly people look like they're about to keel over.

Oh well...been doing this for 32 years now, so I'm actually kind of used to it. Sometimes I can almost predict when it will happen.

It's not just you...I think it's most of us.
Kim "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 11/16/13  12:23pm
" Thanks everyone! That really helps. This is a first for me. I did make it up the hill and back to get my daughter. I rested a lot in between doing little things. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 11/16/13  7:51pm
" Happy we could help! There's nothing too weird to post about with this illness. You are NOT alone with this craziness!! xoxo "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web