How to use DailyStrength
We're on Facebook
Check out our page
Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear

Children Of Divorced Parents Information

This community is for the children of divorce, both for adult children who have lived through a divorce as well as parents concerned about the effects of divorce on their children.

Children of divorced parents (those entirely from unhappy families) are reported to have a higher chance of behavioral problems than those of non-divorced parents (a mix of happy and unhappy families). Studies have also reported the former to be more likely to suffer abuse than children in intact families, and to have a greater chance of living in poverty. A 2002 article in Clinical child and Family Psychology Review discusses a variety of health consequences for children of the unhappy couples that do divorce. Since by definition all children of divorced parents had lived in unhappy homes, children report numerous unhappy experiences. Numerous subjects said things like "I saw some of the things my parents did and know not to do that in my marriage and see the way they treated each other and know not to do that to my spouse and my children. I know [the divorce] has made me more committed to my husband and my children." Ahron's method of asking adult children of divorce how they feel about it also has the well-known weaknesses of "self-report" studies.

Health Blogs

Here are ways to help your child make friends and adapt to moving to new surrounds: Visit the surroundings As soon as convenient, let your kids get acquainted. Go to the local library, park, school, Boys and Girls Clubs, Teen center, American youth soccer organization (AYSO) soccer club, pool facilities. Take your child for a visit to ... Read More »
Many of our adult problems come from the fact that our parents weren't emotional with us as kids. Successful relationships require that we peel back this frustration and don't hide from the intimacy that we may sometimes fear. To do so and communicate more effectively on big issues, make an appointment (it ensures they're ready for you). After ... Read More »
Actress Jenny McCarthy made headlines when she publicly claimed vaccines caused her son’s autism and began spearheading an anti-vaccine campaign. Since then, vaccine safety has become hot source of debate. While we can’t convince you one way or ... Read More »

Member Photos

Advertisement

Latest Activity