Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Radiation Treatments
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hello all, I am new here. I was diagnosed with cervical cancer on October 5, 2011. I had a radical hysterectomy (my ovaries remained) on October 28th. At my first follow up with my doctor, she told me that all my lab stuff came back clear and spoke of the great margins she had while doing the surgery. My pet scan which was done before surgery came back negative as well. She recommended though that I meet with the radiaion oncologist which I will be doing on November 28th.

Has anyone done radiation treatments after their surgery? If so, how many treatments did you have to do? Did you have any side effects?

I'm really scared and not so sure if I want to put myself through any more pain and suffering. I don't like what I've read about radiation.

Any advice is appreciated. I hope you all are doing well. xoxo
Posted on 11/17/11, 10:33 am
8 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Cervical Cancer. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 12/08/11  3:00am
" Hello Dee,
I to had a radical hystorectomy and was advised that all lymph nodes they removed were fine and they had great margins of clear tissue while performing the surgery.
I had 25 treatments of radio therapy over 5 weeks. Apart from fatigue and patches of discolored (slightly tanned) skin I did not have any real symptoms. I drove myself to the hospital most days (unless a family member was available) and it actually took longer to undress and redress then it did to have the therapy.
My experience was a positive one. I think I spent more time building positive relationships with the others in the waiting room then I did actually being treated.
My radiotherapy began 8-10 weeks after my surgery (i'm not too sure as it was all a bit of a blur).
I hope this makes you feel a little bit more positive about this type of treatment, although I do think it has a lot to do with how much radiation you are being exposed to each time and where you are having the treatment.
Speak to your radiation oncologist as they will be able to give you a better idea on how they expect your body to react to this kind of treatment as they'll be the ones planning how it is to be done. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 12/13/11  1:10am
" Thank you missmoo,
I have my chemo & radiation "prep/pep" rally this week, and it's all coming up for me too.
While I'm just as new as you Dee, to this, I plan to take more intimate notes while chatting with the wizards, I can see some light at the end of the tunnel.
I should be running close to the same course as Dee, and the Cisplatin is going to be 1/2 dose, so, with lots of love, lick and hope, my results will be similar. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 01/11/12  8:31am
" i had cervical cancer for just over 2 years and was finally discharged last year from the hospital, i couldnt have a hysterectomy as it far too far advanced so i had chemo and radio instead. radiotherapy for me was the worst ever, i had to have it internaly and it was horrendous, it also made me put on alot of weight because of the amount of sessions i had to have. but i survived it all and im still here, so it can be cured, good luck love. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 01/11/12  11:06pm
" Hello and thank you to everyone who replied to my post. I haven't been on here in a while as I haven't been feeling well. I did start my additional treatment. I'm doing 5 treatments of Cisplatin, 25 external radiation and 2 internal radiation treatments. This is my fourth week of treatment so I can see the end in sight. The chemo really kills me more than anything. The radiation hasn't been so bad but I'm really not looking forward to the 2 internal treatments. Who would though really? I'm more concerned of what the radiaition may or may not do to me in the future. The last thing I need is more medical problems. I just want to know what it's like to feel well again. To whoever else is going through this, please know that you are never alone ever. If anyone would like to friend me on Facebook please feel free. You can find me under Dee Rusnak and you'll know it's me because my profile picutre is of Lady Gaga. Hence my name on here DeeLiLMonster. I can check Facebook from my phone so I'm on there alot. If anyone ever needs to talk I wil be there for you. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 05/22/12  10:23pm
" I just joined and as such just saw your post. is it too late to let you know my situation on question? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 05/23/12  9:25pm
" Hi Lanatree. I would love to hear your experience. I hope all is well with you "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 05/24/12  8:27pm
" hey i tried to find u on facebook and couldnt i need a friend "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 05/24/12  8:46pm
" Hey Kerit you can find me on Facebook under Dee Rusnak "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web