Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
What is the best soap to use?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
My husband has Celiac disease and has come down with a very severe itching problem on hsi legs. What is the best soap to use? Any advice is deeply appreciated
Posted on 07/06/08, 10:19 am
23 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for Celiac Disease. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 07/06/08  2:12pm
" My son not only has Celiac, but also has Dermitis Herpaformis (SP?). It is blisters that break out on the inside and come through the skin. It can happen with his soap, shampoo, toothpaste, etc. Also did you know that Stamps and envelopes conain gluten (so does lotion). I buy all the above at a health food store....they have gluten free. Good Luck. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 07/06/08  9:40pm
" I am Celiac and also have Demititis Herpedeformis. I use Dove Sensitive Soap and Suave shampoo. Try to stay away from anything with fragrance. Good luck. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 07/06/08  10:20pm
" Thank you so much for yoru wisdom and insight. I purshsed him some soap that the doctor recommended today. It is Lever 2000. The itching has stopped for now. His only other problem is that he has a Tens Unit to help with the pain in his neck and the pads that stick to his skin causes his skin to swell up and become blisters. Is this also a Celiac skin problem? Thanks in advance. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 07/06/08  10:31pm
" There may be some type of glue on the pads that are causing this reaction. He really sounds skin sensitive. Personally I cannot use Lever 2000, neither can my husband. It makes us both itch. He break out in a rash--he is not a Celiac. Hope it works for him.
Does he get rashes and blisters in other area of his body. Some celiacs also have Dermitis Herpediformis. I have it. I get blisters on my elbows and knees and rashes on my stomach and back. It itches horribly. The gluten free diet will help that too but it may take a long time to rid the skin of all the stuff that has accumulated over the years. Good luck. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 07/07/08  12:13am
" The Lever 2000 i sonly helping a little bit he says so I will probalby look fo rsomethign else tomorow. He does have a constant rash on his stomach adn it itches terrible. the docotr gave him a pill and cream about 6 months ago but that has nto helped. My hsuband shared with me tonight that he thinks that it si the elastic on his shorts tht is causing the severe rash on his stomach. I don't know what to buy him if it is the elastic in his shorts. Hopefully we will find out more this next week. Thank you for all of your ideas, you have been a blessign to me. Hugs & Blessings "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 07/07/08  1:15am
" I get a rash and blisters at my belt line too. That is how Dermititis works. It come out in area that put stress on--like elbows and knees. I also get them where my bra strap rubs and my panty lines. Nothing helps this itch except a drug called dapzone. I have been on it for 3 years. It works wonders but affect your blood. You must be monitored every few months with blood test. I am gradually getting off of it, but my doctor says it will be available for me for the rest of my life if needed. I was diagnosed with a skin biopsy. Then a few months later a intestinal biopsy told me about Celiac. Maybe your husband can talk to his doctor about this and dapsone. Good luck. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 07/07/08  1:17am
" Sorry, it is Demititis Herpediformis not just Dermititis. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 01/21/10  12:50pm
" I have Dermatitis Herpetiformis. The best soap I've found is Cetaphil bar cleanser and was recommended by my dermatologist. The liquid is even better for super-sensitive skin. I also use Fluocinonide (Fluonex, Lidex, Lidex-E, Lonide, Lyderm, and Vanos) ointment. It's a a potent glucocorticoid steroid used topically as an anti-inflammatory. While it doesn't make me stop itching altogether, it does help keep it in check. I can really tell the difference if I stop using it. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 01/23/10  6:06am
" Hi, for laundry soap I use the following.
Biokleen Allergen-Fighting Formula
http://biokleenhome.com/products/ho...

So far, for bar soap, I am using Oil of Olay without any troubles.

If anyone is experiencing a lot of problems with their bathing soap, I can ask this woman who's store specializes in our problems, what would be best. She is full of reactions so she has had to find products without chemicals and irritants.

For example, the biokleen I use doesn't have any chemicals at all.
It's cleaning abilities are from natural things such as grapefruit and other stuff. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 01/23/10  6:11am
" Lovebug,
do the lotions that have gluten in them state it in the ingredients?
I'm asking because I really don't know.

I do know about stamps.
I don't touch them.
If I wet my finger and moisten an envelope, my heart rate is pounding for around 4 to 5 hours. It's a terrible experience and I feel unwell and fearful due to the pounding heart rate. It feels like my entire body is vibrating from the pounding.
Never again.

What does your son use for lotion, shampoo and toothpaste so he is not ill or in pain with blisters? OH! that sounds just so awful!
It gives me the shivers to think of being blistered all over. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 3 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web