Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Yoga or Pilate's??
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I went to a yoga class last week and now I am thinking about Pilate's. The thing I did not like about yoga was that you had to lay on your chest and grab your feet and rock back and forth on your chest. Needless to say, I did not attempt that one. I though Pilate's may be better.
Has anyone had any experience with these exercising groups? Please share with me.

Thank You

Linda
Posted on 05/11/10, 04:59 pm
18 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for COPD & Emphysema. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 05/11/10  6:09pm
" I don't know too much about your physical condition however I think Pilates takes alot of stamina and strength. Have you ever heard of Rumba? I would think they should have classes in Florida. It is a dance exercise good for cardio. Maybe not too strenous but to build up to pilates. Water Exercise is also good as well. Pilates kicked my butt! Whatever you do stay hydrated. I didn't and blood pressure bottomed out last week. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 05/11/10  6:36pm
" GOOD 4 YOU LINDA!!!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 05/11/10  7:15pm
" I agree with you, Linda. I took yoga classes for years, until my COPD got too bad, and the positions that really got to me were those where you are either on your tummy doing a "cobra", or forward bends, like "downward dog," etc. If I do yoga at home, I skip those poses entirely, because the put too much pressure on your abdominals, which push against your diaphragm.

You might inquire if "restorative yoga' is available near you. This is a class for persons with illness or injury, and hopefully the class can be tailored to your needs. That is a possibility. I didn't have good luck because the instructor kept putting us on our tummies, but it may work out for you. It entirely depends on the instructor.

I've never tried Pilates, but I would suspect that they would be too taxing, also, because of the "holds" that are usually done. But if you could just try a class and see, that shouldn't do any harm.

From what I've heard, Zumba classes are very aerobic, but can be done at your own pace. That could be fun. Maybe you could try a sample class.

If chlorine doesn't bother you, an water aerobics class could be just the thing.

Good for you for looking into a good way to exercise!

Hugs, Sue "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 05/11/10  8:02pm
" Linda - I've never tried either Yoga or Pilates, but like the others said, I believe Pilates is more strenuous. I saw some women at the Curves gym doing Zumba that looked pretty good for us COPDers. It's like salsa dancing, but with light hand-held weights.

Good Luck with whatever you choose. For me, I'll be starting at Curves next week. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 05/11/10  8:11pm
" How 'bout Tai Chi? It sounds promising....

From the Journal of Respiratory Medicine

"Tai Chi has been suggested as an appropriate, if not ideal, form of exercise for patients with chronic cardiopulmonary disease. Because it is a low-impact form of exercise that uses slow movements, it appears to be suitable for persons across a wide range of functional capacities, including those with severe deconditioning associated with CHF or COPD.

Tai Chi uses gentle physical movements, breathing techniques, and cognitive strategies such as meditation and imagery. Reported benefits in the medical literature include improving balance and decreasing risk of falls in the elderly, improving cardio respiratory fitness and functional status in those with and without known cardiac disease, decreasing blood pressure in patients with hypertension, and improving overall mood and quality of life in patients with chronic disease.

Emphasis on efficient breathing, relaxation, and stress reduction may also make Tai Chi a good choice. It offers an advantage over conventional exercise in that it can be practiced anywhere, at any time, and in a group or alone, and it requires no equipment. The physical activity of Tai Chi is estimated to be mild-moderate aerobic exercise, at 1.6 to 4.6 metabolic equivalents and 50% to 74% maximal heart rate, depending on the person's age and the intensity of practice" "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 05/11/10  9:07pm
" Both sound too rough for this old man !!

I will be sticking with Chess and naps, Naps are great for exercising the eye-lids.

I think I have to go with Sue on this one and vote for swimming. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 05/11/10  9:30pm
" Not all Yoga classes are the same. There is a real difference --maybe you can check out other locations unless you joined a gym and they only offer1 class with 1 teacher. I also do a mod fit areobics class that I like. Just finding some classes that suit you can be a challenge. I hope you have good luck as I did. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 05/11/10  9:39pm
" Go for Tai Chi it is great...teaches you to breathe, posture and to go slow....i love it...do 1 or 2 levels with a class until you get the hang of the movements (feet are very important) and then buy the vids. The classes are for all ages the oldest lady in our group was 82 and had had a heart attack and she came back for the next level. Just takes a lesson or two to get you into the rhythm of moving slowly ......oz "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 05/12/10  12:23am
" Linda remember you got one life to give to pilates! Lets not give it all to it ! Take care and do drink sone earth tea.....and peace gf "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 05/12/10  8:59am
" You folks are so smart. I am glad to see all of the great responses. I am going to look up these classes now and hope they are offered in my area.
Thanks millions my friends!

Linda "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web