Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Rescue Inhaler
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
What brand is a good rescue huffer to carry
in my pocket?

I use ProAir now but am very displeased with it.
It is supposed to have 200 metered puffs in it but usually
runs empty after about 30 or 40 puffs. Never got more than 60.

What do other folks use? And are you happy?

I about choke to death when nothing comes comes
out but the propellant gas. This happens all trhe time.

Thanks,

dale(tinster)
Posted on 04/12/10, 12:42 pm
19 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for COPD & Emphysema. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 04/12/10  1:01pm
" To my knowledge all the rescue inhalers are albuterol. The one I use is called Proventil. I think most of them have 200 doses. Is it possible your using it more often than you think? When you see your GP next you may want to talk to him about this...sorry not to be much help here...Hope dentist appointment has gone well today. Truly Holly "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 04/12/10  1:21pm
" I use Xopenex. My doc prefers it because it doesn't increase pulse. I haven't had any problems with it not dispensing the medicine.
One thing I've noticed is that if I don't clean the mechanism every now and then, the meds don't come out as strong.
Try running hot water through the thing once a week or so. Maybe it will help.
If it's the propellent that's not working, I don't know what to do. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 04/12/10  3:40pm
" Trash the Proair. Even my Pulm. doctor says it crap. I now use Ventolin. It does work better and has a built in counter on it. Proair replaced the Albutoral inhalers because of the flourocarbons. What a joke that is. Anyway, I hated Proair for the same reasons you do. Never got any relief after using it. I do like Ventolin better, but I miss the original Albutoral. I found I was using the Proair more often because I couldn't get any relief. I tried Combuvent (sp) for a while, but the doctors took me off that. I sometimes think we are just test caes anyway.
Good luck and good breathing!
jnita "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 04/12/10  4:10pm
" ventolin or proventoil or combivent "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 04/12/10  4:33pm
" sorry tinman....i think you're huffing too much!!! for pete's sake, those things are for people that CAN'T breathe!!!

and yes. i am happy! very happy.

margaret "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 04/12/10  5:03pm
" Dale,
I'm on Proair also and I'm not happy with it either, I seem to use it alot and don't get no where near 200 doses. I used Albuterol before and it seemed to work better. Good luck.
Debi "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 04/12/10  5:19pm
" Combivent for the last 6 years. I think it delivers a little longer lasting relief than the straight Albuterol because it has a small amount of Ipratropium in it. It still uses the old Chlrofluro (sic?) propellant until the end of this year. I wish it had a counter because I'm always guessing toward the end, but I do believe it actually delivers 200 puffs. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 04/12/10  5:49pm
" My Albuterol inhaler worked so great before they made it environmentally safe. Now, it is called Proair, and does not work well, at all. I have no idea how many uses it has. Pretty worthless to me,
personally. Woe is me. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 04/13/10  3:32am
" Hi Dale, I have been using Ventolin, but now that has been replaced by Respigen which is CFC free Both are 200 doses

James "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 04/13/10  10:40am
" Gilly: don't tell me they are changing Ventolin. It will end up just like Proair, not worth a hoot. What is amazing is the fact that the inhalers can cause so much damage to the atmosphere, but paint cans and hair spray cans don't?! I guess the government can control medical stuff easier than manufacturers.
jnita "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web