Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Love your Lungs - Love Plants
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
The most natural air purifiers are plants. Here is excerpts of NASA study:

"Houseplants are not only beautiful in the home, they also help cleanse the air. Bamboo palm, Spider plant; flowering Mums; Peace lily plant and Mother-in-laws-tongue, are just a few of the best houseplants for purifying air in the home, according to an ongoing two-year study by NASA and the Associated Landscape Contractors of America (ALCA).

The NASA/ALCA tests 'Interior Landscape Plants for Indoor Air Pollution Abatement' concentrated on solving the very important question: 'Indoor air pollution is a realistic threat to human health, so how can the problem be solved?' A promising, economical solution to indoor air pollution was to take a look at nature's life support system, plants. The initial testing has been for the indoor purification of the air from the chemicals, Benzene, Trichloroethylene and Formaldehyde.

Benzene is a commonly used solvent in such items as gasoline, inks, oils, paint, plastic and rubber. Furthermore, it is used in the manufacture of detergents, explosives, pharmaceuticals and dyes.

Formaldehyde is found in virtually all indoor environments. Its major sources include urea-formaldehyde foam insulation, particle board or pressed-wood products. Consumer paper products, including grocery bags, waxed paper, facial tissue and paper towels, are treated with urea formaldehyde resins. Many household cleaning agents contain formaldehyde. "

Read more about the plants that were tested and how they were tested here:

http://www.humeseeds.com/purify.htm
Posted on 03/23/09, 06:48 pm
15 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for COPD & Emphysema. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 03/23/09  8:18pm
" This post is most helpful.
I love house plants and its good remember they are cleaning our air.

Thanks so much for posting this,
Have a nice evening
Love to all,
Holly "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 03/24/09  12:47am
" I also love house plants, but there is a caution for people with lung problems. They can be a source of mold, so you want to make sure that the plants are well maintained, and allowed to dry out between waterings. But frankly, I wouldn't want to live without them! Thanks. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 03/24/09  3:01pm
" When I was in the hospital in 2004 they didn't allow any flowers or plants in the room. They said the plants took too much oxygen out of the air. For that reason I have never had any houseplants. Is there anything to this? I love flowers and houseplants but when I became ill I got rid of them.
Nellie "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 03/24/09  3:21pm
" Hi Nellie its as NASA says - plants purify the air.

Also as Sue says re the mould. This and because hospitals cannot guarantee the plants / soil are sterile is the reason they do not allow them in hospitals in the UK.

Respiratory system in plants - Gas exchange in plants

Plants inhale carbon dioxide and exhale oxygen in the day time - at night this process is reversed and plants will inhale oxygen and exhale carbon dioxide.

One reason that it is not recommended to sleep with plants in your bedroom is because of the reverse gas exchange at night - although at home I think you could safely sleep with a plant in your room if you had a window open.

Hope that helps understand some Nellie. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 03/24/09  3:56pm
" During many hospitalizations, I don't recall a time when plants or flowers were not allowed in my room due to hospital policies. Perhaps this is common practice in the U.K. or could be different hospitals have different rules.

Breathes, you have not mentioned allergies. Though I, too, love flowers and plants, those of us with asthma/COPD have to be very careful as to we have around us as it can trigger off a flare up, in addition to the mold Sue mentions.

Sleeping with a window open and the resulting incoming pollen can and does cause nocturnal asthma.

It is something to keep in mind........... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 03/24/09  4:31pm
" Hi Joni -

Most of the Pot plants NASA tested are not pollen producers. Of course re the window people will need to do what is best for them personally.

I always go with what my nose and lungs tell me about what is good air to breathe - can't stand it when ivy is in flower for instance but another friend of mine just loves the fragrance of flowering ivy and she has asthma! - Guess it's what makes us all unique eh :O)

Hospitals in UK used to allow flowers and plants but they consider them too risky re harbouring infection nowadays - (re stale/old/ sour water and soil etc not to mention the little beasty's that may be lurking in the soil or among the foliage.

Enjoy your plants :O) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 03/24/09  4:55pm
" I love outdoor gardening but I haven't had any indoor plants for a very long time because of the copd factor .

Thank you for sharing this Breaths I trust Nasa's research . Im going to do a bit more research on my own and pick up some indoor plants .

I like the thought that a few plants can clean 1,800 sq ft of living space . wow that is huge .

Good find "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 03/24/09  5:19pm
" For those of you with houseplants. Have you ever noticed that if you have several green plants in a room, and then you go away, say for a day, keeping the house shut up, and then when you come back the room smells all fresh? I know I notice it. That's because the plants have cleaned the air and added needed oxygen to the room.

I think the plants need us, too, since we exhale CO2 for them to photosynthesize.

I also heard that Spider Plants (sometimes called Airplane plants) are some of the best for this. And they are so pretty as hanging plants.

If your particular situation and allergies permit, then I say enjoy! Hugs to you all. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 03/24/09  5:40pm
" Hi Sue

Yes I have notice that the air is a much better quality with plants in the house.

I also heard about the spider plant - I think does a good job sitting near the tv or computer re absorbing and transmuting the electromagnetic / formaldehyde exposure.

Here is an interesting site too:

http://thefuturehome.blogspot.com/2...

I wouldn't be without my plants or my garden.
Just love those plants :O) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 03/24/09  5:40pm
" Hi Sue

Yes I have notice that the air is a much better quality with plants in the house.

I also heard about the spider plant - I think does a good job sitting near the tv or computer re absorbing and transmuting the electromagnetic / formaldehyde exposure.

Here is an interesting site too:

http://thefuturehome.blogspot.com/2...

I wouldn't be without my plants or my garden.
Just love those plants :O) "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web