Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
LUMP IN THROAT
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
GOOD MORNING TO ALL...NEEDED A BIT OF INPUT ON THIS SUBJECT... I WOKE UP THIS MORNING FEELING LIKE I HAD A LUMP IN MY THROAT...AS I WAS TAKING MEDS THEY FELT LIKE THEY AGAIN WERE GETTING STUCK..BEEN TO DRS FOR THIS AND GOT NO ANSWERS...I HAVE GERD AND A MED SIZE HERINA AND WAS TOLD MY TUMMY AT THE TIME OF SCOPE HAD INFLAMATION...I HAVE BEEN TO SEVERAL DRS OVER THE MONTHS..TOLD EACH ONE OF THEM ABOUT THIS BECAUSE A FEW TIMES AS I SWOLLOW MY FOOD IT FEELS LIKE ITS GETTING STUCK HALF WAY DOWN AND I HAVE TO DRINK SOMETHING QUICK TO GET IT ALL THE WAY DOWN...IT SCARES THE HECK OUT OF ME...THIS IS HOW I WAS TOLD I HAD COPD...A VISIT TO THE DR AND I TOLD HIM I COULD NOT BREATH...THEY ARE TELLING ME THE GERD HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BREATHING BUT I READ DIFFRENT...I DID FAIL THE FUCTION TEST AND WAS PUT ON 2 DIFFRENT INHALERS AT DIFFRENT TIMES AS I HAD A BAD REACTION TO 1...HAS ANYONE EVERY HAD THESE PROBLEMS....IM FALLING APART..IM SO TIRED OF GOING SEVERAL DRS PLUS THE EMERGENCY ROOM SEVERAL TIMES I HAD ALL KINDS OF TEST FROM BLOOD TO OXYGEN LEVEL...TO SCANS..IM NOW GETTING SO FUSTRATED BECAUSE I FEEL THIS LUMP AND IT SCARES ME...SORRY ABOUT THIS BEING SO LONG...NEEDED TO VENT...THANK YOU ALL WHO READS THIS...
Posted on 12/08/08, 07:07 am
8 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for COPD & Emphysema. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 12/08/08  7:36am
" Try not to worry too much.I have not had this problem but CO P D does sometimes get us down. It is frustrating struggling to breath .Anything other problems make it even harder so please try to stop worrying .Good luck Phil "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 12/08/08  1:20pm
" Gerd, Acid Reflux,etc., whatever they want to call it ABSOLUTELY does affect breathing. I know because I have it and Emphysema.
I was diagnosed with Acid Reflux long before I was told that I had COPD but the doctors all along the way told me that It does affect the breathing. I am not saying that it causes COPD but that if Acid Reflux isn't treated properly, you will have a problem with breathing.

I don't know where your hernia is located but if it is in the abdominal area, it can be fixed with microscopic surgery. I know,beause I have had hernia repairs three times.

I am not qualified to give medical advice but from experience, the gerd must be treated right along with the COPD or you aren't very successful in aleviating some of the discomfort.

The rules I follow to manage my COPD are:
1. Pay attention to nutrition
2. Stay on top of Acid Reflux Problem.
3. Exercise and stay as fit as possible.
4. Take medications as indicated.

Don't get too stressed because anxiety is extremely hard on you if you have breathing problems.
Don't give up and continue on this Site because ther are some very good people with very good advice.
The best to you. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 12/08/08  1:32pm
" HELLO PEARL, THANK YOU KINDLY FOR THE REPLY...IM VERY VERY CAREFUL OF WHAT I EAT ...WHEN I CAN EAT...I SKIP A LOT OF MEALS BECAUSE MY STOMACH ALWAYS FEEL SICK..AS FOR THE BREATHING...I NEVER EVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH THIS UNTIL I STARTING VOMITING FROM THE GERD AND THEN THIS CAME ALONG(THE BREATHING)...ITS BEEN A NIGHTMARE...I THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR THE ADVISE...I SURE CAN USE IT... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 12/08/08  2:47pm
" If an Internist is treating you for your gerd and breathing, I would suggest strongly, since you failed the lung function test, that you go to a Pulmonologist as soon as you can for the lung problem.

Please don't try to handle this all by yourself. It was only after my first exacerbation (respiratory failure) that caused me to spend a week in the hospital, that I realized I need a doctor that specialized in the respiratory system.
It was also when I received my official diagnosis of COPD.
It was the very best move that I could have made because I now can deal with my COPD without going into the anxiety stage. The benefits have made a total difference in my day to day life.

I,or anyone else on this site will be happy to relate our experiences but you will need to tell the doctors that you need answers. Ones that you can understand.
The best to you,
Anna "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 12/08/08  3:17pm
" HELLO ANNA I HAVE BEEN TO SEVERAL DRS ...GATRO DR, NOSE THROAT AND EAR, THYROID DR, AND THE HOSPITAL A FEW TIMES...BUT I WILL MAKE A APPT FOR THE PLUMO DR...THANK YOU KINDLY FOR ALL YOUR ADVISE...ITS VERY HELPFUL "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 12/11/08  8:09pm
" Hi Michelle, I understand exactly how you feel, because before I learned more about acid reflux and hiatal hernia, from a D.O. I felt like you do. Everything I ate made a big knot in my solar plexus and I could hardly swallow.. and the acid reflux was terrible.

Then I learned that the two things are very much connected.. and they have to do with eating too much food that is acid ash causing and also eating the wrong foods together which causes bloating, and pushing up of your stomach into the spincter muscle that is supposed to stay closed between the stomach and esophagus. After awhile your stomach just stays up there..so then every time you eat you have this big knot in that area.

Part of it also has to do with our mineral absorption, because if we not taking the right kinds of minerals, in balance, our acid/alkaline balance gets all out of whack.

You say you are careful about what you eat? I bet you are, but maybe you have never been taught what you need to eat for this kind of problem?

The first thing I would do it cut out grains and sugar. ..and even meat for a while.. just eat green veggies, if you can do that? I really believe within just a few days you will feel different. I didn't believe this for a long time, and then because I was so desperate I decided what the heck. I was amazed at how well I felt within a short time. I learned about food combining, which is about not eating starches and protein the same meal.. this causes bloating..and acid reflux because your meal needs both acid and alkaline to be digested and when they both come into the stomach at the same time.. well.. that is what causes the reflux. So.. if you only eat one of the other, that won't happen.

Also... allopathic drs are completely turned around on the way they treat for acid reflux.. the real problem is we end up with not enough stomach acid not too much, yet they continue to buffer it which over time just makes you worse and worse. I drink apple cider vinegar in water for acid reflux, or lemon juice in water....to give it the acid it needs for digestion.

That is just a touch of what I have learned to help in these areas.. don't want to go on and on if you really aren't interested.

I hope some of that helps.

Hugs,

Pat "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 12/12/08  4:52am
" HELLO PAT AND THANK YOU FOR ALL THE GREAT INFORMATION..I CUT OUT SO MUCH FOOD IN MY DIET..PLUS BEING SCARED MY FOOD MIGHT GET STUCK AND I WILL NO BE ABLE TO BREATH HAS ME SKIPPING ALOT OF MEALS.NOT HEALTHY I KNOW..I LOST SO MUCH WEIGHT BECAUSE OF ALL THATS GOING ON WITH ME RIGHT NOW..I JUST PRAY THIS NEW DR TODAY CAN HELP ME A BIT..THANK YOU AGAIN FOR ALL THE ADVISE.,,LOVE MICHELLE "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 12/12/08  11:15am
" Hi have to agree with Pat that starches can be a big problem. I find if I'm eating protein, that it's ok to combine it with fruit, but not with starches. So the old meat & potatoes diet can be rough on us.

The more I listen to my body, the better I get at food combining, but I'm no expert. But I find that small portions are the key. I like the little cups of cottage cheese, or a clementine over an orange, or a small apple from a bag, instead of a large one off the fruit stand.

I do find that water with a little lemon juice is very soothing.

But until my gerd was controlled, I was having so many problems. I started with Protonix, then was switched to Aciphex. Then when my doctor wanted me to take 2 of those a day, it got too expensive for insurance to pay. So now I take two generic Prilosec OTC (Omeprazole) every day. One before breakfast, and one before supper. My doc wrote a RX for them, so that even though they are otc, the insurance co pays. Such a deal!

This has helped me tremendously.

I'm glad that they've also checked you for a goiter (thyroid). That can be very troublesome.

My best advice is tho do everything you can to learn to relax. Meditate, walk, find a craft to do, whatever it takes. Stress will just make this worse.

Take care! Hugs, Sue "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web