Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Chest wall pain
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hi I am new to this group and as of right now I have not been dx with COPD but I know it's coming and very soon. My question is this...

I have a pain in my back that started after my first time having Pneumonia and it's gut wrenching. I now have this same pain in my chest that is right below my rib cage. Sometimes it's in my rib cage other times right below. It feels like someone is twisting my muscle as tight as can be and it puts me on my knees. I have read here about this pain and was wondering if any of you have it and what it feels like??

I have had an MRI and cat scan, nothing was found. I am a stage 4 throat cancer survior so when I have a pain the doctors look every where. Can some one please tell me about this chest wall pain??

Thanks,
V
Posted on 10/27/08, 10:07 pm
13 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for COPD & Emphysema. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 10/28/08  12:33am
" I've already answered firefly9 in a personal message, but if anyone else has this problem, I can tell you that I have this. I get it on the right side, in the ribs, under the armpit. It's in the same spot where I had pneumonia and pleurisy 10 years ago. It's definitely connected with how good or bad my breathing is. My pulmo has me take Robaxin, a mild muscle relaxant, along with Mucinex DM. This doesn't take it away entirely, but it does make things tolerable.

To me, the pain kind of feels like I've been stuck in the ribs with a dull sword.

I'm also a strong believer in massage therapy. I get a deep tissue massage, along with chest percussion, every 3 weeks. It really helps, and of course, it's such a nice perk that I can give myself. Worth every penny!

Good luck, firefly9!

PS - I love your roaring kitty avatar. So cute! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 10/28/08  6:17am
" Hello firefly, welcome to the group and DS, firstly can I say I love yer avatar - cute.

I was really sorry to read of your previous difficulties but great to hear you are a Survivor!.

The chest pain you describe I've not encountered personally, but what springs to mind is that you may still have a lung infection. Not knowing the last time you have your lungs checked or listened to, it may be a good idea to see your doc, soonest really, as if it is a lung infection you need to get it dealt with asap.

Do hope you get well looked after at home and through the doc.

Let us know how you go - Good Wishes -
Keep Well "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 10/28/08  10:05am
" I have had 1 petscan, 2 cat scans and 3 MRI's. I have seen the lung doctor, Neurosurgeon, Interist and my pain doctor. Nothing showed up on the tests and the doctors can't find a thing wrong except a few swollen lympnodes between my lungs so believe me I am not letting this just sit thereI am trying everything I can think of to get rid of it. Even my pain meds don't touch it so I am on a quest to figure it out for myself.

I do go back for breathing test in a few months but this pain is so bad I have almost gone to the ER a few times. I know my body and it is screaming at me to figure this out.

Thanks to all of you...hugs,V "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 10/28/08  10:29am
" Hello Firefly9, and welcome to the group. I'm not sure what I can add, except to say I am sympathetic to your problem. I think the good things are that you are a survivor, and that your doctors are taking you seriously. Often times, they don't. I will try to check around with my pulmo..and on line.
Please let us know what you find out. And until then, I'll be thinking of you. Becky "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 10/28/08  12:04pm
" This may not help much if at all but Ive been doing some searchs on the subject as i have alot of pain in my chest front and back comes and goes .

http://www.nationaljewish.org/disea...

Question: Is having pain in the lung typical of COPD?

Barry Make, MD -- Chronic lung pain is not commonly associated with COPD. However, pain can come from the wall of the chest and not directly from the lungs - this in fact can be seen in COPD. Pain in the chest can come from coughing very hard and straining the muscles of the chest. Pain in the chest can be due to a rib fracture from coughing hard. Pain in the back of the chest can come from osteoporosis, or thinning of the bones. Check with your doctor to find out the cause of your pain. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 10/28/08  12:33pm
" I also have these horrible pains sometimes they come and go but feel like muscle spasms under ribs i have to stand up and reach high then sometimes they ease up or go away dr no nothing about why but i think it happens more on bad breathing days just guessing still trying to figure it out. our bodys love to play with us.lol "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 10/28/08  1:06pm
" Sassyme, to answer your question.....I'm not exactly sure of the therapeutic action , but I suspect that the Mucinex DM and the Robaxin have a synergistic relationship. By keeping the mucus thin, and my coughing to a minimum, that helps the Robaxin relax the muscles. My doctor was emphatic that they should be used together, otherwise, I wouldn't get much relief from the Robaxin alone.

Yes, reflexology is also great. It's been a while since I've had my "feet done." but it really helps balance all our physical systems, kind of like acupuncture. I need to call my reflexologist. She's wonderful.

On other thing, ladies.......I have found that not wearing a bra really helps. (Yes! permission to go bra-less! yah-hoo!) I only wear one when I'm exercising or doing something physically strenuous. Otherwise, I've invested in some nice soft undershirts. Now I'm one of those who "failed the pencil test" decades ago, so I really should wear one. But this really helps the chest wall pain. The only time it's really a challenging is in very hot weather, the skin on the undersides might get irritated.

Interesting topic. It's nice to know I'm not alone in this. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 10/28/08  2:23pm
" So much good info ... I do love this group . Lonnielou I think your on to something thats what it feels like muscle spams that wont stop like your lungs are spassing out . And it happens on my bad days and sometimes if i try to push myself to fast or to far . I stopped walking the spasms got so bad .
Sue I take mucinex as soon as I feel the spasms comeing on and sometimes it does help them stop . Ive never heard of robaxin is it over the counter ?
Oh and one more thing they are waking me up in the night and im wondering if dry air from the heat is the problem . "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 10/28/08  2:47pm
" Well, I feel like a can of worms has been opened. I rarely cough. I rarely cough up
phelm. Last March I had a sinus infection/cold
that went into my lungs. I coughed so hard that I broke a rib. It was explained to me that the ribs are free floating to a certain
extent; and with COPD/emphysema the lungs can
get or do get hyperinflated and there is not enough room in the rib cage for the lungs.
The doctor told me this is why I broke the
rib. I had pleurisy years ago (many many years ago) and have no memory of exactly what
it is or what causes it; and/or IF it has any relationship to COPD? I do remember the pain.
It was bad. When I had to quit working (even
part time) they said I had a something on my
ex-ray and a lung infection. I truly believed
that I had thrown my back out. The back pain
was tremendous. I put off seeing a doctor; because whenever I hurt somewhere, I have found that IF I just keep moving; things eventually loosen up and heal. Not this time.
It was not my back. It was not a muscle pull.
They said it was my lungs. So, all of these
posts are confusing me. Also, I get very sharp
pains when I reach suddenly to the side or up
high; or I twist suddenly to the side or up.
It feels like a rib is catching, or something
is wrong with my lungs. It is a very deep
stabbing pain that takes my breath away.
Again, I have just "assumed" that my lungs
are too big for my chest and I am pulling
something (like rib cartlidge or interticial
tissue, or something)? I know I sound stupid;
but I do ignore a lot of body symptoms and pain
UNLESS they do not go away for a long time.
Sassyme: What is pleurisy?
Anyone: Is there a relationship between pleurisy and COPD?
Why do I rarely cough? Why do I rarely have
mucous?
Why does my back hurt when you say the lungs
do not hurt/ or not in the back?
What am I hurting when I reach suddenly?

Thanks for any help and answers. I appreciate
it. No, I have no money for massages, or
reflexology or anything. Medicare only; and
I am struggling to pay my 20% of all my medical bills. Thanks again. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 10/28/08  2:47pm
" Robaxin is a prescrition. I get the generic Methocarbamol, and it's cheep. I take one 500 mg tablet 2-3 times a day. I take 2 Mucinex DM morning and evening.

Only side effect I've noticed is that sometimes I'll have very vivid dreams. Not nightmares, just interesting, so I don't mind. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web