Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Opiates/Morphine
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Does Morphine cause constipation? As my Mom has such a problem in this area.. I think the lack of fluid and excerise and she eats so little she has a very big problem in this area and nothing seems to work.

My mother only weighs about 90 lbs. She has lost alot of weight in the last year, due to the breathing.. She has no real appetite, but loves her sweets.

At the time the doctor talk with me about morphine, he said it would be very little, so maybe it won't cause the constipation ?

Any thoughts on this subject ???
Posted on 01/27/13, 07:16 pm
10 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for COPD & Emphysema. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 01/27/13  7:26pm
" Praying -
Yes morphine causes constipation. Here's a link regarding the use of morphine sulfate and the need of a laxative to be used in conjunction...

Hugs,
Dennis "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 01/27/13  7:35pm
" Thanks Denny,
I have heard that it does, but was hoping a small amount would not have any effect..... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 01/27/13  7:59pm
" Forgot the darn link...

http://www.hospiceworld.org/book/co... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 01/27/13  8:09pm
" I've never use morphine, but I do use an opiate for back pain. As Dennis says, they can indeed cause constipation. My Dr. has recommended the use of a softener in addition to a mild laxative when needed.

Keeping you and your mom in my prayers. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 01/27/13  8:14pm
" Oh Wow, Denny that link is full of information. Thank-You !!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 01/27/13  8:19pm
" as everyone said; yes, opiates are known to cause constipation.
i don't use harsh laxitives, but i take metamucil (some take other fiber drinks), a stool softener is a good idea.
when i took care of elderly, they would get in the habit of taking "laxatives" which caused diarrhea, then to stop the diarrhea they would take "pepto, milk of magnesia" or that type of thing to clog them up again. it would become a cycle that was miserable for all not to mention unhealthy.
talk to her dr that is prescribing it, he should give you a safe/not harsh med to help her without getting her into the "cycle of hell". "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 01/27/13  8:19pm
" She is big into Suppositories...Nothing else works and she isn't even on morphine....I can't imagine her on it....
She has been impacted before, and that was not nice...so she is very
afraid of it happening again... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 01/27/13  8:37pm
" my mother was 82 and on no meds that would constipate her.
but her eating habits were horrible.
meat hurt her teeth, potatoes were "icky", so "thinking" she was doing good all she ate was fruit and veggies.
so go figure that she had diarrhea all the time.
then came the "stoppers"
the cycle that i spoke about.
(also as we age, things just don't taste good any more [i'm starting that] so the elderly/sick don't eat right.
the last 5 months when she had to come live with me, i gave her balanced meals & glory be, she became regular.
my mom was the healthiest right before she passed by eating right.
seeing bugs was another matter i dealt with LOL "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 01/27/13  10:54pm
" My mom doesn't eat we'll, nor does she drink fluids... But you can't tell her, she knows what's best....

She is her own worse enemy ... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 01/28/13  12:31pm
" Your mom sounds like such a character!!LOL Yes, it will constipate her, but stool softners shoulds help, if you can get her to take them, and lots of water is necessary, so we know that is a problem...Just do the best you can, and I understand the morphine would help her breathing also. Hope it works
Brenda "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web