Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Best Places to Live with COPD
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I told Hubby that I'd joined this group and he was really happy for me (he's the best and most supportive man in the world).

He has a question, though. Is there anyplace particularly GOOD to live if you have COPD? Back in the day people used to move to Arizona for their asthma.

I would guess tropical rain forests are out, huh? :-)
Posted on 10/21/12, 07:55 pm
19 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for COPD & Emphysema. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 10/21/12  8:00pm
" I know I asked this question before and the only thing I really remember is the lower the elevation the better. In the winter I live pretty much at sea level but inland in deep south Texas. I have been told the wind and dust in Arizona and Nevada are tough on Copd. But where I live in TX gets very windy and dusty too. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 10/21/12  8:32pm
" I wouldn't know where the best place is, but I'm pretty sure you can scratch southern Nevada off the list. Too hot in the summer, dry and dusty with pollen 12 months a year. I'll be heading to Florida right after the New Years and see how the winter months work there, then up to Michigan for the summer. I should be able to find a decent area eventually. Have van - will travel. Coming soon to a town near you. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 10/21/12  8:53pm
" I'm honestly beginning to belive that the is no one place better than another. Altitude, humidity, dust, smog - who knows? Not only do we all have a different makup to our COPD, but the bottom line for many of us is that home is where our heart is. My wife and I love it and have made our lives here in the middle of the mojave desert. Hot, windy, dusty. I struggle above 4000 ft with less O2 and at sea level with the humidity. This is a good place for me and mine. We know how to live here and what to expect.

Hugs,
Dennis "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 10/21/12  9:17pm
" All I know for sure, is that Arizona is not the best place to live. My Dad was born and raised in Oregon; moved to Arizona, because that was the thinking then: Arizona cures lung ailments. My Dad worsened quickly and died in Arizona. My sibling and I all agree the move was a mistake. It made his emphysema worse.

Information I have gathered: Low elevation; high air quality; low (HOT) humidity (like in the Southern States).

I have wanted to live on the Oregon Coast, since I was a teenager. Pulmonary Doctor says "NO WAY". The elevation is low; air is fresh, cool humidity is different that hot humidity. Pulmonary Doc says the mold will kill me. I am allergic to mold. Where there is a lot of rain and high humidity----there is a lot of mold. Darn it all.

Each individual is different in what their own body reacts to.
Each of us with COPD; do well in different places; weather, climate, elevation, humidity, air quality, etc.
I wish you the best. IF there were a perfect place to live; we would all flock there. My humble advice: Know yourself; know your body; know your disease. This will help you with a decision on where to live. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 10/21/12  9:39pm
" All I can say is it's NOT NY. For sure not a good place to live with COPD. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 10/22/12  6:07am
" Lynnie,

I would echo what so many others have told you. If there were a specific place that was significantly better for those of us that suffer from COPD or Emphysema I suspect there would be a population increase in that area. I do believe though that the closer to sea level the better. Take care, Bill "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 10/22/12  11:34am
" Hi,
First it is wonderful you have a supportive husband. Family support is very important with this disease!!
I agree there is no perfect place to live, and I have not really scouted around because I am comfortable as I can be right here in Central Texas.
It is not as humid as Houston area, or as cold as Wichita Falls area, so for me it works. I just stay inside on bad days.
Have a blessed week
BJ "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 10/22/12  4:10pm
" Hawaii on the beach :>))) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 10/22/12  4:41pm
" In an iron lung :) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 10/22/12  5:02pm
" i have no idea :(:(........but if you find out..........please let me know!!!

I am in Texass, but born and raised in Tucson Az..........NEVER had a problem in AZ.

Didn't "develop" this problem until I had been here 6about 5 years...............and I used to get my "flare-ups" in the cold winters.

Last year, I skid by winter and had no problem...........YIPPEE...............but the flare up that hit me in June I thought would kill me:(:(..........still trying to recovery from it:(:( "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web