Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Over-doing it???
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
OK....I was dx with COPD back in 2008, been on supplemental o2 at night since then..............but was able to work full time until this past March (2012)......I prolly starting slowing down prior to that, but didn't really realize that it could be COPD related........thought it was just stress.

Well.....my June flare - up really kicked my butt and its almost Sept and I have not yet recovered from it yet.............I'm beginning to think this is as good as its gonna get:(:(

This is beary hard on me. I am used to being active and am now realizing I can't do what I used to:(:(

So....my question for everyone is this.........just how much can I (you) do?? Whats gonna happen if I over-do and get short of breath (which I am without doing anything)...........will I just drop dead??

I'm not talking about running a marathon, but I would like to be able to clean my house myself (hubby has been helping way too much and I feel guilty:(:(..........I "see" things that need to be done.................they might require I get up off my butt and exert a bit of energy........nothing too strenuous...........but much more so than sitting at this computer...............and I am sure it will make me more SOB than I already am...........but will it kill me???

I just don't know what the "limit" is:(:(...............Sorry if this sounds silly or weird::(:(

~~~~restless Bear here
Posted on 08/26/12, 03:53 pm
21 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for COPD & Emphysema. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 08/26/12  4:58pm
" Oh, yeah, that feeling that you pushed too hard. I get that all too often, but far less than I used to. I'm learning to pace myself, so what used to take me 10 minutes now takes me 30 or 45.
It's more an acceptance than a learning. Today I have to accept that I can't do certain things and those things that I can do I take more time - so I can avoid that drop in my SPO2 and the subsequent SOB that comes in play along with it.
For example, my wife cuts the grass - and won't let me around without a mask because of the dust and such kicked up by the mower. I do dishes and put away groceries that she brings in. And so on.
That being said, I exercise every day trying to stave off losing what strength and stamina I have. When something is within my ability, I do it. We each have to find that "limit" and strive to keep to that edge or improve to surpass it...

Hugs,
Dennis "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 08/26/12  5:44pm
" Thanks Denny..........I just am beginning to fell like my hubby does everything:(:( Breaks my heart.................its just so not me...........my mine wants to do things........maybe even my body..........but these lungs are just not corporating!!!! Makes me mad............sad....whatever::(

I keep thinking it will "go away"........but it isn't............and quite truthfully, I am having a real hard time accepting it........REAL hard!!!!!!!!!

I guess I need to get to the "acceptance" level:(:(:( "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 08/26/12  6:41pm
" Ahhh Deb, I feel for ya. The reality of the diagnosis IS hard to accept. I encourage you to be gentle on yourself and do what you can but let others help you if they will and it sounds like your husband is willing. I also know for me when I'm feeling like you are now, that you need to keep talking about it and getting support.
Hang in there!
Moe "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 08/26/12  7:19pm
" Deb,

I am on oxygen 24/7/365, I do as much as possible, I push myself as far as I can, and sometimes I do to much, where I have to stand and gasp. Each of us is different and we react to physical stress differently. Because this disease is a downward staircase, our abilities change on a continuing basis. You need to readjust to your abilities on an continuing basis. I would suggest that during your next visit to the doctor this be an issue you address with him. Make sure you don't have other health issues that could impact you. Don't give in to it. Please take care -- Bill "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 08/26/12  7:27pm
" What is really kinda sad for me is that I have belonged to the "caregivers' group for awhile.........I joined last year when my MIL was having breast cancer surgery............figuring she was gonna need some help. Well she is fine..........87 years old and in better shape than I am:(

I read that group often and just don't wanna become one of the folks they are talking about............not that it is bad............but I just see it happening to me (hubby) and it just breaks my heart..............just not right!!!

I guess I am just on a pity pot tonight................sorry:(:(:( "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 08/26/12  8:15pm
" Bear everyone is allowed a pity party. I have them all the time. You have the right to get mad and sad but don’t forget to grab yourself by the seat of your pants and pull them up and keep going.

You sound like you a very kind and caring husband who would do anything for you so let him and don’t get stressed out and enjoy it.

I had to call hospice nurse today because I did too much yesterday getting ready for hurricane. I know better but some days it just gets to you being cooped up in the house. As for as how much can you do each person is different. What I could do last week I might not be able to do today.

If you do too much and get very sob don’t panicky that will make it worse. I know it is easier said then done it took me a while to learn. Do your deep breathing. Exercise is also very important when you have copd it keeps your muscles strong. This is progressive diseases that is not going away but keep trying to improve your quality of life. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 08/26/12  8:16pm
" Bear everyone is allowed a pity party. I have them all the time. You have the right to get mad and sad but don’t forget to grab yourself by the seat of your pants and pull them up and keep going.

You sound like you a very kind and caring husband who would do anything for you so let him and don’t get stressed out and enjoy it.

I had to call hospice nurse today because I did too much yesterday getting ready for hurricane. I know better but some days it just gets to you being cooped up in the house. As for as how much can you do each person is different. What I could do last week I might not be able to do today.

If you do too much and get very sob don’t panicky that will make it worse. I know it is easier said then done it took me a while to learn. Do your deep breathing. Exercise is also very important when you have copd it keeps your muscles strong. This is progressive diseases that is not going away but keep trying to improve your quality of life. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 08/26/12  8:19pm

View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 08/26/12  8:19pm

View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 08/26/12  8:19pm

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 3 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web