Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Soda, Asthma,and COPD link
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Soda Consumption Linked To Asthma, COPD, Study Says

If obesity and heart disease haven't stopped you from over-consuming soda, the increased risk of developing a chronic breathing condition just might do the trick.

A new study out of the University of Adelaide has shown that too many fizzy drinks can lead to an increased risk of developing asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD).

Australian researchers analyzed the health and soda drinking habits of 16,907 people age 16 or older in southern Australia between 2008 and 2010, according to the Guardian.

Their findings revealed that people who consumed at least a half a liter of soft drinks a day were more than twice as likely to develop either breathing condition compared with those who refrained from the drink altogether, Med Page Today reports.

"The amount of soft drink consumption is associated with an increased chance of asthma and or COPD. There exists a dose-response relationship, which means the more soft drink one consumes, the higher the chance of having these diseases," the researchers wrote in the journal Respirology, in which the results of the study were published.

However, the researchers were only able to establish an association between guzzling too many soft drinks and lung disease, not a distinct causal relationship, Health.com explains.

Not surprisingly, study participants who also smoked upped their chances of developing lung disease, notes Nursing Times. Smokers who consumed more than half a liter of soft drinks a day had a 6.6 times greater risk of COPD than those who refrained from both habits.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...

I thought this was interesting and thought that some of you might think so too.

Easy Breathing to all,

Holly
Posted on 02/09/12, 11:14 am
7 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for COPD & Emphysema. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 02/09/12  11:53am
" Makes sense to me. I am a diet soda addict. Funny, none of my siblings have Emphy. They all guzzle it too. We were not allowed candy or soda growing up-----------oops???? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 02/09/12  12:03pm
" Wow, I am one of seven and the only one with Emphysema too.

We were not allowed store bought candy growing up and I didn't even know there was such a thing as soda until our mother made home made root beer when I was 9. and then later at Claggett Church camp where they had a canteen where we were allowed to by something, and I saw red soda in a bottle, well I bought it and it was good.

Anyway interesting how our stories are some what the same
Sally, and we both grew up on farms too...

Thanks for your response Sally.

Love Holly "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 02/09/12  1:57pm
" Hi Holly,

I was looking at the Science daily article on same subject earlier

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...

Great minds ;o) etcetera

The fizz does tend to bloat the abdomen making it more difficult on the breathing as we know. The amount of E additives and artificial sweeteners in fizzy soft drinks are bad news for health all round I think.

I read something else the other day about scientist saying the government should regulate sugar the same as alcohol and tobacco, as the artificial sweeteners pose dangers to public health.

I'll bet your Mother made a real tasty root beer Holly. My grandfather was a greengrocer and our bag of treats was peas in the pod which I loved, and once a month grandmother would make us an extra special treat of ice cream soda!! mmmm was delicious.

Easy breathing all and thanks Holly and Sally for sharing here.

Peta x "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 02/09/12  1:58pm
" I feel lonely now with you all have brothers and sisters....
I was the only one!!!
I do have an 1/2 sister who was 18 years older then I....so I really am only child of my dad's.
Besides I didn't live with my sister growing up....saw time to time, today haven't seen her in 20 plus years.

Well I did call her the other day funny thing....she don't have ths copd thing and is 82 years old. yup that isn't funny.

but still strange.... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 02/10/12  3:13pm
" Wonder if they substitute the word soda with say milk if they would get the same results? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 02/10/12  7:01pm
" and----speaking of milk. I was an avid milk drinker. My newborn baby was covered with red welts which were ecxema. (sp??) My doctor put me on an elimination diet to discover what was traveling through my breast milk into my baby. It was MILK. Yup, my son was allergic to cow's milk. That was when I switched to the dreaded soda. Dumb. I should have drank water. When Brian was old enough to be weaned; he did very well on soy milk. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 02/10/12  8:18pm
" Mr. Nod--a very astute question! LOL vicki "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web