Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Daliresp is helping me
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I wanted to report back to all of you about my experience with Daliresp. I started taking it about 2.5 mos ago, after having been hospitalized twice last fall for a bad lung infection. My pulmo was worried that I was having too many exacerbations.

When I went to see him during a follow-up appt after the hospital, he wanted to put me on Daliresp (Roflumalast). This is a new drug, just approved by the FDA last Spring. In Europe it's known as Daxas. He said that IF I can tolerate the side-effects, that it would probably really help me.

Don't forget, Daliresp is for people with moderate or severe COPD, who have the chronic bronchitis component. If you just have Emphysema, this drug is NOT for you. I happen to have both problems.

I experienced an immediate decrease in my appetite. I found that if I eat too much, I have a mild queasy feeling. So this has really helped me control portion sizes. This is something I've needed to do anyway, because I'm very overweight. So I've already lost over 12 lbs! I couldn't be happier with that! The drug does cause diarrhea, but since I also take other meds that are constipating, that's not so much of a problem.

The side-effect that my doctor was most concerned about - depression and thoughts of suicide - I haven't had. No sign of any serious depression at all. Thank goodness!

I saw my pulmo a few weeks ago, and he was so pleased with what he observed. He wants me to continue the Daliresp indefinitely, and to try and reduce my nebulizer use to zero. And this is happening! I used to use my neb 3-4 times a day on a regular basis. Now I only use it once a day, if at all. There have been a few days where I haven't needed my neb at all. To me, this is miraculous!

You take this drug in addition to your current copd drugs. I use Albuterol in my neb, have a Pro-Air HFA rescue inhaler, and I take Symbicort and Spiriva. But Daliresp is a tiny little pill, instead of an inhaler.

Here is an interesting article about how this drug got approved by the FDA:

http://www.health.com/health/articl...

If you have chronic bronchitis, and would like to try Daliresp, talk to your doctor. And if this one doesn't work for you, I know there are other meds in the research pipeline, so don't give up hope! I hope this helps someone here in this group. Hugs!
Posted on 01/29/12, 10:30 pm
16 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for COPD & Emphysema. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 01/30/12  1:22am
" That is so awesome Sue!!
Wouldn't it be lovely to reduce the neb to zero... man - you'll have to get more seed catalogs to fill-up that time nebs once took!
I am so very happy for you. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 01/30/12  1:55am
" that is sooo good! i'm so happy that you posted this for us to see what it's doing for you!

it's always nice to have someone you know tell you about a med.

i'm very happy that you've gotten teh results you have! keep it up! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 01/30/12  10:01am
" Sue thank you so much this positive up date on Daliresp.

Many of us have watched the studies on this medication for many years hoping it would bring positive results.

It took some time for the FDA to release it here in the US.

I am so happy this medication is helping you Sue which means it is helping others and will help too.

Its good to know that for those who cant tolerate this medication, that other medications are in studies now and coming closer to release by the FDA.

Thanks again for this good news Sue,

Easy breathing to you,

Love
Holly "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 01/30/12  10:39am
" That is good news Sue, I am so glad for you, best part you may get to be rid of the Nebulizer, that is great. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 01/30/12  11:00am
" Sue I am so please for you and thank you so much for sharing this with us all here.

Its great that you are getting on so well with this drug and it is having more than just one benefit for you.

Well done, keep on breathing easy.

Peta x "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 01/30/12  11:05am
" Hey, Sue! That's great to hear! And a perfect time - you can plan the planting and be ready when the weather is! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 01/30/12  11:06am
" Sue, makes for a more positive day to hear that someone has had success with new medication.

I have pure emphysema so doctor said it wouldn't help me, as you mentioned, but there is always tomorrow. :)

Have some better days now and I will certainly celebrate with you. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 01/30/12  12:10pm
" Ah, this is such good new. I'm happy the medication is working so well for you!

Susan "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 01/30/12  12:52pm
" Thanks Sue !! I am going to look into taking this at my next Dr. Appt. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 01/30/12  6:13pm
" Hope no one minds the bump but this is some good news and there may be more that are interested in talking to their doctor about it.

Thanks "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web