Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
whooping cough vaccination
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
My great-grandson is to be born in the next couple of weeks. My grandson lives just 5 minutes from me. Their obstetrician has recommended that everyone in the family get a whooping cough vaccination. Our Board of Health and the CDC also recommends them for anyone with a newborn. Since my COPD (9 years on O2, 24/7)
is respiratory and WC is respiratory, I'm a little afraid of this. I have a call in for my pulmonologist. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks.
Posted on 10/12/11, 10:38 am
3 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for COPD & Emphysema. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 10/12/11  4:46pm
" Found this :>)

Pertussis
Bordetella pertussis, a Gram-negative coccobacillus, causes the highly communicable disease pertussis, or ‘whooping cough’, characterized by three phases of cough: catarrhal, paroxysmal, and convalescent. Subjects are at risk of complications including pneumonia, encephalopathy, seizure, and pulmonary hypertension. There are between 5000 and 7000 cases of pertussis in the United States each year. Epidemics of the disease typically occur every 3–5 years, with the latest reported in 2005 (70). The incidence of pertussis has increased since the 1980s, reaching a peak in 2007 with 10 454 cases. Three to twelve percent of adults with pertussis require hospitalization, 4% develop rib fractures owing to coughing, and 5% of subjects develop pneumonia. Adults are believed to be an important reservoir for both children and other adults owing to waning immunity (71–74).

Infection with B. pertussis can lead to worsening of asthma symptoms. A cohort of Canadian adults with asthma had longer periods of cough, more nighttime symptoms, and increased rescue medication use during their illness (8). Thirty of 103 patients in a study analyzing the frequency of colonization of the respiratory tract of adults with stable asthma had evidence of B. pertussis, and these patients had lower FEV1/FVC and more symptoms than asthmatics who were culture negative for pertussis (75). Serologic evidence of B. pertussis has been also documented in acute exacerbations of chronic bronchitis (76).

Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, and acellular pertussis) is the current vaccine approved by the ACIP in adults for prevention of pertussis. The vaccine contains a reduced portion of diphtheria and detoxified pertussis toxin compared to the pediatric diphtheria, tetanus, and acellular pertussis vaccine (DTaP). Studies show that the immunity induced by Tdap is equivalent to that of DTaP (77). Analysis of the adult vaccine program demonstrates that a one-time vaccination with Tdap would reduce the incidence of pertussis by 44% over a 10-year period and could possibly reduce the transmission to children (71).

Although there are no human trials on the effectiveness of pertussis vaccination in asthmatics, a study in the murine model shows that the acellular pertussis vaccine can reduce the severity of airway pathology and hyperreactivity to methacholine (78). Another murine study by Ennis et al. (79) shows that vaccination with whole-cell pertussis prevents allergic asthma exacerbations. These studies suggest a role for vaccination against B. pertussis in patients with asthma.

There also are no studies on the effects of vaccination against pertussis in patients with COPD; however, pertussis has been shown to play a role in acute exacerbations; thus vaccination may also be beneficial in this group (75).

Both CDC and ACIP recommend Tdap in all adults aged 19–64, including those with asthma and COPD. Although studies in these populations are limited, the vaccine is safe and may confer significant benefit. It is recommended as a single dose in adults 19–64 years of age, if the previous dose of tetanus (Td) was at least 10 years prior. It can be given in a shorter interval if a subject is considered at high risk for exposure to B. pertussis. If an adult has not been previously vaccinated against tetanus, diphtheria, or pertussis, they should complete a three-part series containing both tetanus and diphtheria vaccines. The CDC recommends the first vaccine be Tdap, followed by Td at least 4 weeks later, and a third Td six to twelve months after the second dose. The only contraindication to use of Tdap is a previous history of anaphylaxis or seizure after vaccination. In pregnant women, the ACIP recommends that Td be given during pregnancy rather than Tdap owing to a lack of safety data in this population. It is recommended, however, that women of child-bearing age receive Tdap prior to becoming pregnant or during the postpartum period.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 10/12/11  9:51pm
" I read about whooping cough last year, didn't like what I read and made sure I was up to date on my DPT shot. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 10/12/11  10:47pm
" Thank you both. Appreciate your input. KyleesNan did you have any reaction to the vacinnation? "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web