Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Does COPD cause sweating?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
The following was what I located when I googled Sweating and COPD. Am I the only one? Should I consider myself that out-of-shape? Curious if others are experiences excessive sweating?
Thank You

Topics:sweating

I have been sweating excessively for years now but it is getting worse. I don't even have to be doing anything and I will sweat until my hair is soaked and so are my clothes. I am 55 but have already gone through menopause some 30 years ago. I have had my thyroid checked and it is within normal range. I am overweight and have to absolutely starve in order to lose the pounds. I have CHF and COPD. They were diagnosed a couple of years ago but the doc says I have had them for years. Would they have anything to do with the sweating?
Answer This
Thursday, April 15, 2010

Alot of things can cause sweating. Both heart failure and COPD can cause sweating but it appears to occur in COPD only when its very severe. Many times its impossible to tell the cause of sweating although researchers think it may be tied to overactivity of the sympathetic nervous system (fight of flight system). If thats so then doing calming, relaxing, meditative type activities might be helpful over time. On the hand anxiety could exacerbate the situation.

Interestingly caffeine and some foods can cause sweating. I cured a pretty long case of nightsweats when I eliminated grains from my diet. (Two days ago I had a little cookie and there I was drenched in sweat in the morning!). You might want to try an elimination diet - eliminating groups of foods such as dairy, grains, nuts, etc. and see if it has any effect.
Good luck!
Posted on 02/24/11, 11:23 am
9 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for COPD & Emphysema. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 02/24/11  1:34pm
" If it happens during the night... sweating is a symptom of sleep apnea. From the tossing and turning I believe.

Sleep Apnea - Symptoms
The most common symptoms of obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) that you may notice include:

Excessive daytime sleepiness.

Waking with an unrefreshed feeling after sleep, having problems with memory and concentration, feeling tired, and experiencing personality changes.

Morning or night headaches. About half of all people with sleep apnea report headaches.

Heartburn or a sour taste in the mouth at night.

Swelling of the legs.

Getting up during the night to urinate (nocturia).

Sweating and chest pain while you are sleeping. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 02/24/11  1:52pm
" Have you gone through menopause? I used to wake up totally soaked when I was:>)) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 02/24/11  2:15pm
" Since november i began sweating , i was diagnosed with severe copd in late 2009 but then since ive lost 9% lung function somehow and began sweating...might be right about the caffine or coffee. I dont drink but a couple cups a day now but without smoking it doesnt taste that good anymore. I take thyroid meds since i supposedly have an underactive thyroid. I try to exercise and lose weight but no luck, the more i exercise the bigger i seem to get. I am perimenopausal and doc says hormones dont indicate the onset of menopause...i dont know the cause but i have noticed that a hot flash comes on after stress or being upset or exposed to heat like from a hair straightner or even lights above the sink...whatever the cause the hot flashes and sweating is profuse and almost unbearable. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 02/24/11  2:22pm
" Sounds like menopause to me!! Is your Dr. a man? I had a horrible one. Lasted years! I was done with it at 52, almost 10 years ago & it started when i was like 47. They threw raw meat at me under my door:>) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 02/24/11  3:35pm
" Think Debs right! I used to sweat profusely when my wife was menopausin! Once I got rid of her, the sweating went away! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 02/24/11  3:51pm
" Shoulda just tried raw meat :>)) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 02/24/11  6:02pm
" Thank you for trying to help everyone. I did not make myself clear.
I know about the pause from men. That causes hot flashes and night sweats.
I sweat when I exert ------ like I am in very bad physical shape.
Since, I have always been in shape------ I am at a loss. The sweating is related to how much I exert; just like my breathing problems and heart rate are related to how much I exert.
New ideas????? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 02/25/11  1:10am
" Sally... has your Dr ever mentioned anything about elevated CRP ?
Its a protein seen to elevate generally with infection/ inflammation but it also can elevate due to COPD and also CHF.
As part of the natural "fight infection team" in our body, during its elevation it can also increase vasodilation, etc. ... to include sweating . SOB and elevated heart rate on exertion. I know they've mentioned mine has been elevated before especially during a bad flair.. like what you also recently had.. here's an old article I found , I know there was a better one I read when they first mentioned this but I can't find it.

http://www.erj.ersjournals.com/cont... "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 02/25/11  8:45am
" I hate to be one to say this, but Me too Sally sweat. I had medical induse by the removal of my girl stuff....when I was only 30 something.
I sweat at night......
I also have sleep apnea, I didn't know that sleep apnea could cause sweating.....that is interesting thank you Tom for bring it in.

Sally if you sweat as much as you say what about checking with a different doctor and maybe a women doctor if you can? Just for a second opion, hmmmm?

I think you might also be fighting or your body is fighting off somehting like infection ?

I don't know what is going on with your body, but you are one smart women. So do what you know and get check, ok.

bee "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web