Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Qvar experience?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I just got started yesterday on Qvar. That now gives me 3 inhalers to use daily--Qvar, Spiriva, and Xopenex. What's your experience with Qvar?
Posted on 01/07/11, 01:35 pm
12 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for COPD & Emphysema. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 01/07/11  1:57pm
" Never used it, but it has a steroid in it. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 01/07/11  8:59pm
" hey! thought i was the only that took that!

cant tell that any of them do me any good.

new doc just took me off of qvar...put me on symbicort.....who knows why?

thought spiriva had both kinds of steroids in it so you wouldnt need to take anythign else.

never heard of that xopenex one. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 01/08/11  12:39am
" Advair and Spiriva both have two kinds of medicine-----but they are do not work on the same underlying issues. I know it is confusing to me. I keep asking, and every time I hear a different answer.
Advair is for Emphysema with Asthma as the underlying disorder.
Spiriva works on one of the same issues as Advair, and something else. I have never heard of Qvar? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 01/08/11  2:21am
" maybe spriva is for emphy and broncitus

think spriva is the only med made jsut for emphysema "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 01/08/11  6:13am
" Never heard of it. I am on Symbicort for my Asthma, seems to work OK. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 01/08/11  6:58am
" Spiriva does not have a steroid in it. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 01/08/11  10:00am
" Qvar is my favorite, which is a steroid but goes directly into your airways unlike Prednisone which is taken orally can do more potential damage. I use alubterol and Ipratropium, which loosen me up, and then follow with the Qvar, which seems to keep me open and calms my airways after the other two inhalants. I did Spiriva for awhile, but stopped when started having "halo/double vision". Symbicort nor Advair worked for me. My other favorite is Oxygen,which I'm on about 20 hours a day. I also take 5 mgs of Prednisone, not crazy about that, but at least I was weaned down from 40 mgs. Just started pulmo rehab and am hoping it helps me to become more active, have been home-bound too long. I guess all of these meds pose potential side effects, but some are necessary if you have COPD and want to breathe. Different ones work for individuals based on their bodies I guess. Best wishes to you all. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 01/08/11  12:32pm
" I use spiriva. It has no steroids in it. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 01/08/11  12:47pm
" Now, that I am over my "duh?" moment. LOL Advair is a bronchodiolator and a cortosteroid. Spelling of those words ????

Spiriva seems to relieve coughing more and is not a steroid.
You cough a lot with Bronchitis. You may cough a lot with COPD; as they group a bunch of lung issues under one umbrella.

I rarely cough, but I do have asthma attacks. That is my understanding of why Advair is important for me to use as a long
acting agent. I wish I did not have to use it. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 01/08/11  2:16pm
" I have used Qvar on a emergency level. On 2 different occassions the asthma doc put me on qvar when the other inhalers were not working and I was headed for trouble. But I only took it on a short term basis.
Have not needed it now for about the last 8 yrs. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web