Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Nose Bleeds
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Do any of you have little nose bleeds? Well off and on my husband has for years, but today I got
a little scared as his nose was bleeding while he
was eating and this time it took him longer to
stop it. Do you know what causes this? Is this common with COPD and emphysema?
I know sometimes it gets dry inside. He doesn't like it when I put water in container for CO2.
Thanks, lori
Posted on 10/24/10, 07:24 pm
6 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for COPD & Emphysema. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 10/24/10  7:32pm
" Get a humidifier "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 10/24/10  7:54pm
" Debbie60,

Ok, thanks. I will tell my husband he needs a
humidifier.

lori "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 10/24/10  11:34pm
" Lori, I am not sure it could be called common for copd/emphysema as not all have nose bleeds as a common occurence. I think that sometimes the nostrils get dry and the veins get irritated and that can cause bleeding.

There is a cream in a tube called Ayr that you can get at the drugstore to put in the nostrils to keep them from drying out. I use a humidifier with my O2 and I still have occasional problems. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 10/25/10  9:34am
" PearlB,

Thanks for the help.

lori "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 10/25/10  11:13am
" lorM: Below is a copy/paste of a discussion about nosebleeds from a "sub-group" . It may help you.

help with nosebleeds
Posted on 07/02/10, 01:08 pm
I have recently had gushing nosebleeds (huge clots, etc.) only from the right side of my nose. I had no other symptoms so it didn't worry me too much. Four of them this week alone. The last time it happened, I was ready to go to the emergency room, but my husband convinced me to wait. I believe I may have triggered them by taking aspirin products. Have stopped taking any kind of aspirin or pain pills.
I read online that orange juice helps in blood clotting. I started drinking several glasses a day and it seems to have helped.
Any other suggestions?
By the way, I have an appointment with my doctor next week, he's on vacation this week.
Reply to this discussion topic
Add Reply:
Cancel
Email me when others reply to this topic?
Showing 7 Replies

Reply #1 07/02/10 2:59pm
Photo of TomMix TomMix
A sinus infection can cause nose bleeds as well as picking your nose and nasal cancer. Liver disease can hinder clotting also. But most likely you are right about the blood thinning aspirin you have been taking.

You are right about the orange juice, but it's really the vitamin C that's doing the job and vitamin C can be found in lots of fruits and vegetables.

Excellent food sources of vitamin C include broccoli, bell peppers, kale, cauliflower, strawberries, lemons, mustard and turnip greens, brussels sprouts, papaya, chard, cabbage, spinach, kiwifruit, snow peas, cantaloupe, oranges, grapefruit, limes, tomatoes, zucchini, raspberries, asparagus, celery, pineapples, lettuce, watermelon, fennel, peppermint and parsley.

I pasted the previous paragraph from this web page. http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php... and it contains everything we need to know about vitamin C.
Reply #2 07/02/10 3:19pm
Photo of JoolesM JoolesM
Hi Jnita - if it keeps happening maybe see the ENT / Nose doc or your GP.

In my case I found since being on the inhaled steroid I seem to get a slow bleed during the night. My GP prescribed me a nasal cream which is an antibiotic cream and this helped stop the bleeds - the pharmacist recommended the saline nasal spray and the ENT doc suggested I use pure aloe gel which you can buy in the health food store.

Sometimes the bleed can be from dry nose and the saline spray and aloe gel is a good fix for that.

Great info Tom :O)

Reply #3 07/02/10 4:36pm
Photo of Tinster4 Tinster4
Nosebleeds can be scary, Juanita.

Tom is correct that nosebleeds can have many causes. My wife gets them dry nasal membranes. Saline nasal spray helps her alot. I too would make a stab that you should cut out all aspirin, except maybe a St Joseph's Baby aspirin for your heart. Aspirin as a pain killer has many dangerous side effects like bleeding easily.

You could also be a pint low on your Vitamin-K levels. The clotting vitamin. How is your diet on:
Leafy green vegetables (kale, collards, spinach, turnip greens, beet greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens green leaf lettuce), Brussels sprouts, broccoli, green onions, parsley, asparagus and sauerkraut contain more than the RDA of vitamin K for men or women.

Vitamin-K is an odd one. It is not actually processed by the human body. Vitamin-K is processes by certain bacteria in the gut and then passed on to the liver for use and distribution.

Your blood clotting response is an east test at most blood and urine labs.

Try the saline spray and lay off the aspirins for a while and see what happens.

Be Blessed

dale

Reply #4 07/02/10 4:37pm
Photo of CaitsMom CaitsMom
Hey, Jnita.

Sorry about the nose bleeds! You can also get lots of Vitamin C from broccoli, tomatoes, spinach, etc. Less sugar & calories than OJ, if that is a concern for you.

Hugs,
TJ

Reply #5 07/02/10 4:43pm
Photo of jnita jnita
Gosh, I love all those vegetables. I'll have to send my hubby back to the store. He forgot that prefer green stuff instead of potatoes. I also need to send him back to the vegetable stand to pick up some more fruit and homegrown stuff.
Thanks for all the info.
juanita
Reply #6 07/03/10 5:03pm
Photo of jazzkeys jazzkeys
Advil and Motrin are in the aspirin family, so you might want to avoid those also.
Reply #7 07/03/10 5:23pm
Photo of Tinster4 Tinster4
OOPPS! Gotta call ya on this one! Advil and Motrin are certainly NOT in the aspirin family.

Aspirin is Acetyl salicylate, acetylsalicylic acid which is a blood thinner, among many other good things.

Motrin and Advil are Ibuprofen ( iso-butyl-propanoic-phenolic acid) which is known to have a small component of antiplatelet effect, though it is relatively mild and short-lived when compared with that of aspirin.

I take a baby aspirin daily for heart health and Motrin for aches, pains, headaches and sore muscles.

Wow! so much good info being spread!

Be Blessed, "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 10/26/10  6:49am
" Thanks everyone for all the great info.

lori "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web