Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
muscle spasms
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Last night I woke up yelling in so much pain from a muscle spasm it seemed like it went on forever . It was the worst I have ever had and Ive had a few bad ones this last year .This morning I could hardly walk my calf muscle is so sore .
I know we are prone to this with our meds so what do you do to stop it from happening . I know I should be exercising but stop walking when the weather got so cold and my breathing went down so much .
Posted on 01/02/09, 10:52 am
7 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for COPD & Emphysema. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 01/02/09  11:23am
" Hi Friend;
My son's friend is a physio and he explained to me to prevent or help if I had a spasm was to sit up and then lean forward with your elbows on your knees and do pursed lip breathing. That is breath in counting two through your nose and out counting four through your mouth and lo and behold it works a treat. It has something to do with getting rid of the excess cabon dioxide in your lungs. But whatever it works for me so hopefully it does the same for you. Let mr know how you get on - maybe some others have different remedies.
Cheara. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 01/02/09  11:28am
" The only help I can be, is to tell you to get
enough calcium and enough water. I, too, have
suffered with horrible cramping. The calcium
has helped a little. Good luck. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 01/02/09  6:10pm
" I've heard that we also need to make sure we are getting enough potassium, along with the calcium. Also, even though it's too cold to walk, you can do some gentle calf stretches and ankle circles. That can help a lot.

This can be a real problem, so I hope this helps some. Hugs! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 01/03/09  8:43am
" Ooooo Trenz that is not good - I have found Oxis Turbohaler (long term broncho dilater drug) 'formoterol fumarate' gives me cramps. My consultant told me to only take the morning dose but not the night time one, although I could take a 2nd dose if I took it earlier in evening say before 7pm if I felt I needed two doses a day.

I know some of our local COPD sufferers are taking quinine prescribed by the doc for their cramps.

Might be worth you mentioning the problem to your doc.

Wishing you a cramp free night tonight.

Also if you have any lavender rub (essential oil diluted in carrier oil) this will help as a muscle relaxant. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 01/03/09  8:47am
" Also Schweppes real indian tonic water (not the reduced sugar stuff) also has quinine - this might be a good daily tonic - adding gin or vodka is optional :O) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 01/04/09  1:50am
" i've had super bad leg and foot cramps myself. i've been told and found that taking some kind of gator ade adds the electolites we need. (i've been using emergenC packetts for it).
you can also try the tonic water with quinine in it. i've found that shasta has some in 6 packs, so it's fresh each time i need it.
good luck with it! i know they're killers. so, be prepared!
margaret "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 01/04/09  10:21am
" Thanks for all the advice and help .Last couple of days Ive taken some potassium and Vitamin C . I will be picking up some shasta or schweepes tonic water . I hardly ever drink anything but water with a slice of lemon oh and for sure my morning coffee .
I will try what you offered Cheara when it happens again but tell you the truth I pray its not for a very long time that hurt so bad . "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web