Help for swollen feet and legs?
My legs and feet began to swell about 6 months ago. In the past week, they've become much more swollen. Lying in bed doesn't help, nor does elevation. My lung doctor can't seem to tell me if he can get them down or not, but the skin is breaking in a few small places and they're beginning to also swell above the knee. I am going out today to buy bigger shoes. It's really uncomfortable and hard to walk on the puffy swollen soles of my feet. I had tests to see if there was a clot, but that isn't the problem. He said it was due to lack of oxygen in my blood, which makes sense, but I just wonder is there no hope, or will they be like this forever?
Posted on 12/01/08, 10:44 am
Reminder: This is a support group for COPD & Emphysema. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 12/01/08  11:57am
" I am so very sorry your feeling badly.
I dont know if you are taking a diuretic, but here is a web site that tells you so natural diuretic foods.
I hope you feel better soon.
Welcome to our group.
Love
Holly "
Reply #2 - 12/01/08  1:52pm
" Thanks Holly good find on the web site .
I have no idea what to tell you Char don but there are lots of people on this forum that deal with this problem also and Im wondering why in the world your Dr isnt finding out why your so swollen .
One thing that helps me is staying away from foods that have a sauce pack in them like Mac and cheese . Im not sure whats in them but they make me swell something awful also fast food does to but not like your swelling I pray you get answeres soon . "
Reply #3 - 12/01/08  2:57pm
" I also swell and it has gotten worse the last 2 years, and it could be lack of oxygen. I take 40 mg fluid pill with potassium 10 chl 10meQ. It helps some, but not all of the swelling goes away. I make sure I take at least 1200 calcium because of leg cramps. This is all I know. Hope it helps.
Hugs,
Carol "
Reply #4 - 12/01/08  4:03pm
" I had this problem last April when i came home from the hospital.
My DR. put me on a diuretic which has controlled the problem.
From what he told me my body was demanding more oxygen than my heart could supply.

Hope you get some relief soon. "
Reply #5 - 12/02/08  11:52am
" Because of several health problems, (heart and lungs) my doctor have a standing rx for lasex 40 mg..a diuretic.. When I notice ankle swelling, I take 1 in the morning, then a second one before 2p.m. He has me take the second one early so I am not up all night going to the potty. We are not sure the underlying cause for mine. I believe in miracles, so I can't say if this will remain with you the rest of your life or not. The best news is there are bloodclots.
Becky "
Reply #6 - 12/04/08  9:34pm
" What I have read that often causes edema is toxins. The body is trying to dilute the toxins with fluid so the toxins don't kill us. We all are ingesting toxins every day due to the drugs we have to use with these diseases.

I personally started immediately having edema when I started on albuterol. I also have it when I eat toxic food...things with msg sulfites, nitrates.. etc. If you can cut back on the toxins you eat and drink (diet drinks are very toxic if the artificial sweetner is aspartame or splenda)..then you body is more able to deal with the drugs you need.

We eat mainly organic foods so we don't get toxins off of or in the food, and I take an oral chelator called natural cellular defense that helps get rid of toxins and acts kind of like lasix in that it makes you urinate a lot.

This all has helped me.

I can't even imagine being as bad as you are.. I hope you find something that helps.

Hugs.