Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
Is 6 liters of oxygen alot?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Hello everyone, my mother is 58 years old and has advanced COPD/emphysema from years of heavy smoking but she did quit smoking a couple years ago because she couldn't breathe but wasn't actually diagnosed with advanced copd/emphysema until a month ago. My mom was stubborn and never went to see doctors. She is now in the hospital and the doctors told me today she would need to be on oxygen 24/7 going forward and she is at 6 liters now. Is that alot? She also was just diagnosed with diabetes and clogged arteries (stents were put in). I am VERY worried about my mom. Can someone tell me what to expect when she goes home? She was crying terribly today because she said she is dying and couldn't live a quality life being on so much medication and oxygen. It breaks my heart. I know that no one can really tell me how long she has to live but can someone live for a long time on oxygen 24/7? Any advice or personal knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
Posted on 11/16/07, 04:41 pm
3 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for COPD & Emphysema. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 11/17/07  11:13pm
" Sassy is right! You don't know anything yet! I am in "end stage" copd. There are so many things that can make a difference in her health. Ask her doc about her "fev1" (lung capacity)and any other questions you and she may have. Also ask if there is a rehab class that could help her in your area. Let us know! Take Care! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 11/19/07  9:55am
" I am on 4 liters 24/7 and doing ok.. Your mom should start to fell better once her body gets adjusted to the oxygen. If your not happy about what the doctor tells you go see another one. It is so important to have a good doctor. take care honey and let us know how she is doing. God bless you.Frieda "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 12/19/07  9:53pm
" i like most people thought havin copd an needin o2 was death sentence..... an it was as said a life sentence...jus have to make changed in daily living........... not always easy........at times i get sooooooooooooooo sick an tired of bein sick............. but i know this is bout the best it gonna be....... an most times i.m doin ok...... not only do i have copd but also gettin older...i make the most out of each an every day cuz it jus could be my last. an i been sayin that fer 13+ yrs now........ "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web