Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Advice:
Copd and swollen legs and ankles
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
my husband has copd and has had for many years, recently getting worse and now his ankles and feet are swelling, does copd cause this?
Thanks
Posted on 03/06/11, 11:53 pm
7 Replies Add Your Advice
Reminder: This is a support group for COPD & Emphysema. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Advice:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 03/07/11  12:21am
" COPD can make him more susceptable to Congestive Heart Failure, and swollen ankles is a symptom of CHF. Please have him see his doctor asap to make sure that he gets the proper treatment. He may need diuretics or other meds. All the best to you both.
Hugs, Sue "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 03/07/11  5:13pm
" Hi I'm sorry your hubby is going through this I agree with Sue and I think your hubby should contact his dr sooner rather than later. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 03/07/11  5:25pm
" I take two diuretic pills (Spironolactone and Furosemide) twice a day for swelling in my lower legs and feet--caused by congestive heart failure. Spironolactone is a generic form of Aldactone and Furosemide is a generic form of Lasix.

It's a good idea to limit his salt intake right now as a result of the edema problem. Also, to have his legs up as much as possible when sleeping and resting. I used to sleep in a sitting position with my feet on the ground because of lower back pains and I got a lot of water buildup in my lower legs and feet from it. I sleep now in sort of a sitting position from the waist up, but my legs and feet are stretched out in front of me on the bed. Between the diuretics and the positioning of my legs/feet now, my swelling is not anything like it used to be. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 03/07/11  8:03pm
" thank u all very much...Good advice "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 03/09/11  3:38am
" He should keep his feet elevated as much as he can.. like in a recliner. Cut back of salt. Salt retains water. All of us with COPD are doing ourselves a big favor if we stay as light as we can and still retain out strength.

A year ago when I was 70 pounds heavier I was eating to much and eating too much salt. My ankles and the lower part of my legs would swell up so big I could hardly see my ankle bone. It all disappeared within a month in on my 1200 calorie, low salt. fat, sugar diet.

A prayer for your husband.

tom "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 03/09/11  11:07am
" Hello and everyone is correct~

I don't know if swelling from COPD in the legs and feet is the cause.
There can be other reasons.......that is why YOU need to get your husban to the doctors asap.
NOT just CHF, it could be med's also a causing factor. It could be several things. ok

I have like Floyd to take pills (med's) everyday for my swelling in my leg and feet.
They tell me they don't know what is causing mind?
I take Furosemide (lasix).
I did have an xray of my chest last month while having problems I went to the ER. They found fluid in my lungs. They thought I had CHF. My Cardo didn't think so. I don't know what I have now?
So maybe even going to the doctors like me, I have to find another doctor to get a 2nd opion.
So be mindful and take down all is happening during the day...inother words keep a diary daily.
Helps.

Thank you for your questions. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 04/12/11  9:00am
" Update: Taking mike to the dr again about the swelling, they didnt listen to me the first time, now they are huge and turning diff colors, this is driving me crazy...... "

Add Your Advice
Advertisement

More From Around the Web