Will 2 sibling dogs be ok to separate & live apart
My fiance and I have split. We will not be getting back together. We have had 2 dogs together since they were found at 4 months old. They have never been apart except for one time that she needed to stay overnight at the vet due to her being fixed while in heat. They will be 2 years old in May. I want to be fair and let him have one and I think sharing is out of the question (ie: him have them a week/2weeks, then swap) He is being hard to talk with because he just wants one and to be done with it. Im just afraid one of them will take it much harder than others but I want him to have the joy they bring as well. Help???
Posted on 01/15/11, 08:14 pm
Reminder: This is a support group for Breakups & Divorce. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 01/15/11  8:24pm
" Oh, sure, you can split up dog siblings, dogs are so wonderfully capable of being happy! They may miss each other and their routines initially, but love them and play with them and they will be fine. I am totally opposed to the concept of sharing dogs after a break-up, as I have personal knowledge that sharing dogs usually does NOT work out well over time. Look, all dogs really want is to be loved and to have fun. Oh, and to eat. "
Reply #2 - 01/15/11  9:07pm
" Any other pointers? I really want to make the right choice.. :l "
Reply #3 - 01/15/11  10:44pm
" Please do not separate the dogs,you should take them both or he should keep them.I know of at least 4 cases where this was a total failure and wound up causing more stress to an already stressful situation.It sounds like he is willing to give you both without putting up any type of fight,take them.Why are you worried about his future happiness and not the dogs?Dogs are pack animals and very social they comfort each other when left alone.Let your ex get on with his new life sans the dogs,he will be fine on his own.You and the dogs can move on and in a few months you may want to give your ex an opportunity to stop by and say hello,odds are he will decline.Do not make helpless animals suffer because your life is in upheaval.Keep yourself and the dogs together and let your ex move on.You all will be much happier in the end and there will be less excuses to have contact with your ex if the dogs stay together.Good luck and stay strong.Sandi "
Reply #4 - 01/15/11  11:48pm
" Dogs are also incredibly adapatible -- they are not human beings. Obviously best to keep them together, but seriously, they will be fine otherwise so long as they are loved and taken care of. So, Roo, you can now see that you have a bit of a split of opinion on this around here -- maybe best to consult a dog expert of some kind? Or ask the folks at the local shelter? Or ask a veternarian? "
Reply #5 - 01/20/11  8:17am
" My dogs were so close that they died within 3 weeks of each other after having been together for several years. When I got the second dog, the first one would wait for her when she went out to potty. They stayed close to each other. I even made certain they were put in same kennel when being groomed. I've heard MANY times where they grieve severely. When I had my poodle, she would NOT eat when I was out of town for a week...every single time. As soon as I returned, she'd eat. Ex was with her and my mom even dropped by, but until I came home, eating wasn't on her agenda.

I wouldn't worry about him, my 1st ex would call sometimes to see i he could come by to see her and I agreed to let him while Iwas at work. He soon stopped coming over.

I'd keep the dogs together, love them, and move on. "
Reply #6 - 01/21/11  2:26pm
" I have rescued dogs, and do foster work, and it didn't go well when my ex took one of our dogs - that "I" rescued, took care of and was the sister of our other dog.

At one point in our divorce, I did put my foot down and said, if you take her, you take him.

He agreed to take both dogs, it was in the final papers, and changed his mind when he moved to only take the female.

The worst part is, he only moved a block away, so the dogs hear each other

I adpoted another dog, and also am fostering another, so 3 dogs - Yes! I'm nuts! But, he walks his dog past almost every day, it drives the freind she grew up crazy, which then in turn gets the other dogs in a frenzy.

Anyway, as I was going through the divorce process, I learned that because I, alone adopted or rescused these dogs, they were mine. Ex was nice about the settlement, ane leaving almost everything in the house, so let him have the dog.

And, advice for anyone------I do most evertying in my name, and it's hard for courts to touch it!

Men have done it for years - it's our time. "
Reply #7 - 01/21/11  4:27pm
" Ive worked for the Humane Society and served on the Board of Directors, fostered 100's and been in animal rescue for many years (until the divorce, ive stepped back for now) and every circumstance is different when it comes to separating dogs.
The problem with them adjusting to being without each other depends on how much attention you and your ex have time to give them separately, if they are going to be left at home 8, 10 hours a day and have to console themselves alone that would be a sad situation for them but on the other hand if you both have time to give them the attention they need while they also go through the transition period they should be fine. "