Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Working after TBI / MTBI
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
What do you all tell people when they get upset about some of the issues you deal with from MTBI, like memory loss, hyper sensitivity, executive function. I know sometimes i just get on overload and dealing with stuff piled on top of overload is really tough.
Posted on 01/19/10, 03:49 pm
9 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Brain Injury. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 01/19/10  5:42pm
" In addition to my mTBI I also deal with PTSD. I was upfront with my boss because I knew I would be handling my workload differently. He has been very supportive and understanding. I have come up with many strategies to assist me and most people at work do not realize that I am working with this challenge. It takes quite a bit of energy to pull this off...I am usually quite exhausted and fatigued when I get home.

My husband on the other hand is not as understanding. He gets very frusterated with me. He thinks I can just "get over this" anytime I wish, but chose not to. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 01/19/10  6:58pm
" You're very lucky to have a boss like that. My hats off to him. Mine is pretty good too, but so long as it doesn't get in the way. I was being talked down to today - and that inspired this message, because as understanding as he has been to me - sometimes it's inconvenient for him. Because I forgot where something was written!. After that, HE forgot where something was and had to eat a little crow. lol. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 01/19/10  7:04pm
" Very good question! I looking forward to everyone's responses and input. For me, well let's just say, I'm finding the right words and files in my brain cabinet and I'll get back to ya. In other words, I'm processing :) Marsha "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 01/19/10  7:20pm
" My boss is a pretty decent guy deep down...but what really drives him is that he is scared to death of litigation. The employment discrimination laws in MN are very much in support of the employee. I have never made any threats at all, but I have put my condition on the table so to speak. If his fear of litigation drives him to be supportive of me, I am ok with that....I just want the support so that I can do my job. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 01/19/10  8:38pm
" Rae, all I can say that is "You Go, Girl!" "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 01/20/10  12:34pm
" I didn't have any choice because they knew every detail of my hospital stay. For the most part I have lots of support. There are some things I don't think are leagle happening coming from my supervisor.

She forgets something its funny and okay, if I forget something no matter how important or not it isn't okay.

Her family has 2 TBI's that pretty much rolled over and said what can you do for me instead of fighting to get well. They aren't me, no 2 are the same much less 3.

I choose to look at my "abilities" rather than my "disabilities" (which, by the way are becoming less with time). She of all people understands the least. She took control away from our department head to help with my return telling him she knew what needed to be done and she would do it, but she hasn't.

I've only asked for 2 modifications, to come in earlier as mornings are my best times and 2nd no call back because...that is when my brain is healing. Coming in earlier is working to the hospitals benifit just as much if not more than mine. The other? it's hit and miss. I could take call if I wouldn't feel bad about not hearing the phone ring when I'm sleeping...my boss does that anytime of the day. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 01/21/10  6:25pm
" Find an easy read article or book about executive impairment, fatigue, memory and give that to family, friends, employers to read. This often makes the light go on so to speak. I am the mother of a son with brain injury and have just published a book about our life. My son's cycling mentor now understands why my son confuses the hell out of them when he races because his tactics are not what they used to be. He has to conserve fatigue levels by not riding in the bunch as this takes up too much energy ( mental ) which zaps him more than physical, he struggles big time in new surroundings, takes the wrong route if on his own ( no he isn't cheating just can't remember where to go) Some family still believe he is lazy because he can see that the grass is long but doesn't make the association that it needs cutting. If you ask him to mow it he will, willingly. Visiting his Grandmother in a secure dementia ward is very taxing and draining but of course family do not see it that way where as visiting her in her own home was OK as this was familiar surroundings. When people who know us read the book I am sure some of their misconceptions will be cleared up and alas there will always be the knockers that this is a load of bollocks. All you can do is try to get others to understand then move on and do the best you can. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 01/22/10  11:02am
" Chasann I completely agree. Two easy resources that I printed off for family and friends were:
1. from the mayo clinic website on TBI
2. www.tbiguide.com

I commend you for publishing your own story. Good for you! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 01/26/10  10:08pm
" I'm still in college and not working. But I work with disability for accomodations. I coordinate my work through my professors, if I need more time or extra instruction, etc.

I often do get extremely stressed when things start to pile up, then I go into shut down mode. So I've learnt to plan things out, if they are small assignments I do them as soon as possible. If they are large assignments I divide it up. For example, a paper may take me weeks to complete. I'll say I'll write a paragraph per day or on good days a page a day. Just breaking things up helps alot. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web