Ataxia and TBI
My 29 year old son had a motorcycle accident in October of 2006. He suffers from ataxia, which interferes with his daily living and therapy. We have tried all sorts of meds... I took him off of everything - didn't notice any difference and now the neurologist started him on mysoline. Has anyone tried, or know of, any other meds or natural substances??? I also have him on neuro optimizer. He is also very depressed and wishes he were dead.. took him off 2 different anti-depressants and he was better for awhile, but now back to the depression. Would appreciate any comments or advice. Thank you - Cherie - Shauns Mom
Posted on 08/13/08, 01:26 pm
Reminder: This is a support group for Brain Injury. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 08/14/08  11:56am
" Hi! I read your post and wanted to offer something that I am looking into for myself. I suffered a head injury almost 3 years ago and as a result, have nerve damage that is permanent. I am homebound and have realized that using western medicine is not an option for me. I have been reading a lot about radionics and the use of a scio device for diagnosing/treating all kinds of illnesses, injuries, etc. You might want to investigate this and other holistic healers to help your son. I cannot tolerate any medications and am looking for other ways to help myself. Good luck. Dee "
Reply #2 - 08/14/08  1:02pm
" My son was also in a crash. They had him on a ton of meds that I didn't approve of. He is now only on three and supplements from the acupuncturist. Acupuncture is what really helped Mike get going on his recovery.
Best wishes to you and your son "
Reply #3 - 08/16/08  12:19am
" Hi my husband has an anoxic brain injury and sufferes from ataxia as well. The therapists told me that the only real help is the exercise and repeat all the time in order to retrain your brain. But havent seen a ton of improvment, also he has tried acupuncture that helped with his depression. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get the meds working right. Sorry I couldnt be more help but keep in touch.
Aimee "
Reply #4 - 08/16/08  11:32am
" I noticed mention of the scio device for diagnosing/treatment. My sister purchased a scio device a few years ago and they are simply amazing. Western medicine has all but outlawed them in the US. I was very skeptical at first because they were like voodoo but after several sessions on the scio myself I am a true believer. How they work is beyond my comprehension but they are amazing. The machine immediately picked up the brain injury on my husband as well as some other issues he has. He has had some treatments and they really helped. Thanks for mentioning the scio, he hasn't had a treatment for quite some time and has been doing poorly. I think I will get him back on the scio and see what happens.... "
Reply #5 - 08/17/08  8:07pm
" I have several TBI's (reoccuring) and upon MRI imaging it was discovered that I also have cerebellar ataxia and spinal cord damage. It is disheartning and there are Rx meds and supplements alike that are more trial/error that exact science, unfortunately. I have both conventional Md's and a holistic MD and the difference in thinking between each of their training is not surprising though unfortunate.

I will say a pray for your son and your family. "
Reply #6 - 08/17/08  8:24pm
" Hi, again,

I hope that I wasn't too discouraging in my initial comment to your question. Ataxia is a complicated medical problem and it varies in types and difficulties. I have researched it extensively in seeking answers myself through the years. Has your son has MRI's to show the extent of the damage and to put a name to the ataxia i.e. friedericks, cerebellar, etc. Physical therapy can help while it needs to be extensive and there aren't any guarantees. Your son's brain need to relearn how to walk; some with TBI's get that opportuntiy while others don't. It all depends and there are so many treatments and not any one guaranteed solution. My heart and prayers go out to you and your family. "
Reply #7 - 09/16/09  4:26pm
" Hello,
My name is Adam Rogers and I know what you are going through. Approximately 6 years ago, Sept. 23, 2003 to be exact, I was in a near fatal accident just outside of Carmel, CA, when I collided into six dead Wild Boar on the highway on my motorcycle. I suffered a TBI and can now not walk. But I will. So my advice is this, NEVER GIVE UP. "