Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Blind in One Eye
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I know this dosnt seem like a huge inconvenience, but ive analyzed it and over the years its had a tremendous effect on me. So many things in life are left to chance and being blind in one eye obviously effects that.

Is anyone else only partially blind but still feels effected by it? Oh also im ive got extremely poor vision in the eye that works, though I am able to drive a moped.
Posted on 02/23/11, 06:55 pm
15 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Blindness & Visual Impairment. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 02/24/11  9:46am
" My brother is blind in one eye because my son shot him in the eye with a paint ball gun 9 years ago. He has to wear glasses for the other eye. He still drives but not very far. He says his biggest problem is that he runs into things on his right side but he has learned to look more.
He said he is effected by it of course but over the years he has learned to live with it and not let it consume him.

I'm partially blind in both eyes and would be terrified to drive a moped. I talked to my boyfriend about getting a bike, he says I could try it but would be nervous that I would run into a car or something as i run into things just walking. ;-) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 02/27/11  8:31pm
" Yes. I am functionally blind in one eye and have tunnel vision and uncorrectable astigmatism in the other. I am unable to drive which constrains me horribly. My night vision is horrible. I in general cannot recognize faces. I obviously have no depth perception. I cannot participate in most group activities because trying to follow group conversations is very difficult when one cannot see visual cues. Of course participating in most sports is not possible. Meeting new people and forming a social network for friendship and support is incredibly difficult. It all frustrates me no end, especially the social isolation. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 03/31/11  7:45pm
" YES WELCOME TO THE BLIND , SOME MAY THINK ,

YOURE NOT BLIND , BECAUSE YOU SEE THIS INK ,

OR GOOD WINE , SO DRINK ,

AFTER SURERY BUT IF YOU FIND , SOMETHING ONLINE BLINK ,

2 TIMES , EMAIL FREEDOM THE LINK ,

IF YOU DONT MIND . "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 04/02/11  8:32pm
" I am blind in one eye and low vision in other
I cannot drive but I can do pretty much anything else on miy own
except see something from far far away

here if you want to talk "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 04/06/11  8:21pm
" i know what you mean, If you need to talk, we can be friends, my name is Chalon. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 05/04/11  10:38pm
" I lost my vision in my left eye 3 years ago from taking medication prescribed to me. It definitely affects many aspects in my life on a daily basis. Often I don't see what's to my left so I don't get a chance to react, because I don't see things coming. My close friends know to walk on my right so I can see them. There is a loss of depth perception and equilibrium. I tried driving a few times, but I'm so aware that I am not at my full potential, it frightens me. I'm thankful everyday I still have one eye to see out of. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 05/11/11  6:02am
" i recently lost my vision in my right eye when i went swimming in a pool overseas which was infected. the infection caused an absyss on my cornea and scarred it permanently.
i'm only 21.

im really struggling to adjust with this. i study law, and find reading so so difficult. driving is scary. even running is difficult. its hard because people act like its nothing but im just struggling so much. its hard to strike the balance between thank god im not blind completely and trying to explain what a massive impact it has.

all my friends go out clubbing and im too scared because its dark and i get exhausted. im scared of someone smashing my glasses and becoming totally blind.

i wish i knew why this had happened. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 06/23/11  1:41pm
" I've lost one eye to diabetic retinopathy (bleeding within the eye's vitreous humor) and the other, though still functioning, continues to bleed, putting black blobs in my field of vision. I have been this way for about 5 years now.

My greatest struggles include sea sickness (these blobs keep swirling around as I move) and a total lack of depth perception (how MANY times have I poured my coffee all over my wrist?). With no depth perception, for me, driving is a past-tense activity only. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 06/23/11  6:56pm
" just visiting your group today..and oh boy..another thing i can relate to!I have many health issies,i guess lupus being the most disruptive,but I had cataract surgery 11 years ago..they are failing,laser clean up won't fix it..I am night blind,and I also have a really bad left eye.cannot make out facial features,read signs,etc..my right eye has taken the extraload for awhile..they lso said i have beginning macular degeneration..i didn't
like this one bit...I still don't understand why so much keeps happening..I always have to turn this over to God,or I will lose it! I want to see my husband,daughters,grandchildren,doggie and all of God's beauty as long as I can...it is hard..comfort to all thanks for letting me share "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 12/06/11  1:40am
" There are so many ways to lose your vision. I've had central eye blindness in my right eye since 2004. Only very recently it was diagnosed as macular degeneration. But no one can explain the link between the two. Loss of vision in one eye destroys your depth perception. You NEED two eyes for that. I still drive, but I do not drive on unfamiliar roads at night. I use a personal navigation device and find that is a huge help. I have poor night vision and in bright back lit light, everything becomes silhouettes. On my desk I use a high intensity light that I can carefully position wherever I need it.

It's a big pain in the butt, but what else can you do? "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web