Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Christian and Bisexual?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Can someone truly be a Christian as well as bisexual? Anyone else grapple with this thought? I have struggled with it for about a year now. I love God and Jesus and consider myself to be Christian. B u t, I like girls too. Your ideas on this matter would be most aprreciated. Thanks.
Posted on 01/05/09, 11:11 pm
40 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Bisexuality. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 01/06/09  6:34am
" It's been a long time since I've been active in the Christian community. I left the church over ten years ago for reasons that had nothing to do with my sexuality but now I'm reluctant to go back because of my sexuality. Coming from a Christian background and then taking it upon myself to study and talk to others of different faiths, I feel that we at times have a narrow sense of God and fashion such an incomprehensible Mystery according to our own liking. I prayed often to have my same sex feelings taken away. I thought that once I got married and being physically intimate with my husband on a regular basis would make it all go away. In reality it only exasperated my true feels. Then one day I finally got honest with myself and with God. In a prayer I said "Lord I don't understand this and I don't know why I'm like this but I trust that You do and all I can do is accept it and try to grow in my understanding of it all. God, I'm bisexual." It's strange how at that point I just felt at peace. I realized that it's not God who condemns us, it's our own conscious and others. Through prayer and introspection I learned that I'm still a good person. Being bisexual doesn't make me "evil". It doesn't make me immoral. Actually, I'm more aware of my intentions and feelings now in regards to women and sex than I ever was in my relationships with men. And I think that's where you have to really pay attention. People only look at the surface material of a person. God sees into our hearts. In love if your intentions and feelings are true and good and your expressions of that love doesn't led to any pain or anguish within yourself or others, than the sex of the person you love shouldn't matter. It's the spirit in which we love that matters the most. That's what I've learned from God. People on the other hand may tell you differently but ultimately you will have to make the decisions that will bring you the most peace.
I hope that helped a little. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 01/06/09  6:59am
" My personal opinion (as someone who identifies as queer and atheist but that has spent a lot of time considering christianity) is that christianity and any form of non hetrosexual within a marriage sexual activity is incompatible. That is to say identifying as bisexual is not problematic, but acting upon same sex sexual desires would be. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 01/06/09  10:06am
" Even more difficult for me coming from Roman Catholic tradition (yet we all know the scandals that came from that as well), I have struggled to define myself as a child of God or an aberration brought by some evil I must have done...It is strange these thoughts, and the confusion is something I feel God's enemy (i.e., the devil) revels in. Through our confusion, the devil wishes us to think that our ways are either not of God's and therefore unworthy of His love; the other side may think that the devil wishes us to believe that we are free to be who we are, and that maybe falsely make us to believe God did create us this way.

Many hard core Bible enthusiasts will point out verses from Leviticus or Timothy 2, or Corinthians to show that the word of God condemns these feelings...How much more confusion when people debate who help write the Bible, as being inspired from the Holy Spirit...and then later taught that we are to fear the Holy Spirit.

Is it any wonder why there are increased suicides among us particularly who are afraid to be themselves, thinking they will be condemned eternally...and how much more not knowing the TRUTH of God to die and find out that we could have loved the way we felt in our hearts all along, and yet we were deceived by man's views of what was His true intentions.

Damned if you do; damned if you don't. With this issue I'm constantly at an impasse, and I do believe it has been the core or root to my finally breaking down and being diagnosed as bipolar. The affective disorders, mostly depression, has had its grip on me due to the fact that I feel I have always struggled to fit in...and constantly asked God to take this cross from me...The major question is WHY has He NOT done so yet?...In my heart, do I sincerely wish to change?....Do I honestly think it wrong to love someone even if they are the same sex?....Life i fascinating with the many opportunities it provides...but oh, so many questions do arise just by living out our lives!

God speed to you on your journey for resolution. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 01/07/09  9:51am
" I was brought up Baptist, but gave up on Christianity years ago, then went religion shopping for many, many years, finally gave up on them all. I consider myself an ethical Atheist, as there is no proof whatsoever of any gods, nothing supernatural, and religions seem to only cause hatred, death, grief, and millions of support groups for the damage they've done. Beliefs based on words of judgemental old dead guys has caused untold damage to the world. My best advice: Follow your conscience, live your life, and, if there is a God or Gods, they'll judge you based on your heart.
This is NOT an attack on your religion, it is a simple denouncement of ALL religions. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 01/07/09  9:54am
" By the way:
53 times in te Bible, by my last count, the Bible states that the laws are unimportant, only the love for God matters to God. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 01/07/09  7:50pm
" okay. i'm atheist.. but i really don't understand the whole christian bisexual or christian gay thing. it's not an unforgivable sin.. it's just a sin like any other.. eaten shellfish lately? or ever? same diff. if you're christian then you just accept it's a sin.. do it anyway and ask forgiveness, knowing that your god made you this way. ooooor you can just look at it as that whole thing is as outdated as stoning your children or selling them into slavery. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 01/08/09  10:45am
" Well, hlks,
the idea of asking for forgivness stems from the desire not to do it again. If this is your lifestyle, then forgivness is, well, incompatable. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 01/10/09  2:58pm
" I am a strong Christian, I am bisexual, and I believe that those two statements are completely compatible. I am a feminist Christian. My minister is lesbian and has a partner. I do not feel guilty, but more alive! Look, the word homosexual was not even coined until the eighteen hundreds! Do a little more research about all those Bible verses that say that homosexuality is a sin and you'll see that all of those verses are really about something else-social situations going on at that time. They were talking about people who had sex for money-they were NOT talking about loving one another. "What the Bible Really Says About Homosexuality" is a good book. Look up the group More Light Presbyterians on the web. There are many ways of looking at Christianity and I will only believe and obey the one that "God is Love" and that incudes ALL of us! You might want to check out my church's website to see what a feminist Christian is like. www.circleofgraceatlanta.org "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 01/10/09  3:55pm
" DO you really think your God would foraske you for acting out in the way he made you? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 01/10/09  4:07pm
" No offense, but all the "proof" that 'god hates homos, bis and anyone not straight' is so stupid.

I do not really believe in God, but if I did, would he really "smite you" just for loving someone??? Doesn't he teach you that love is the best thing? To love and not hate?

Personally I think that book was written mostly by people that were simply scared of sexuality and the fact that it condems it (back then) was meant to encourage people to reproduce...

Sorry for being blunt. But that's my opinion.

Love who you love, not what some book says. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 3 4 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web