Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Bipolar parent and custody of Children?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Ok went to the psychologist today, he says I am bipolar. My question is this, Can my husband get custody of them because of my disorder? The doc put me on 80 mg of geodon, tripled my xanax, plus now I have to take it 3 times a day, Left the wellbutrin the same 150mg twice a day? Can he actually take my kids because of this?
Posted on 12/21/06, 02:30 pm
19 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Bipolar Disorder. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 12/21/06  2:37pm
" The only way that can happen is if you mistreat them due to not following a plan of treatment for your disorder. Stay on top of it ALWAYS for that reason if not just to care for yourself properly. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 12/21/06  2:38pm
" I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think so. It's an illness...like diabetes. Only if you act up (attempt suicide or hurt someone, that sort of thing) will custody even come into play. As long as your following docs orders, providing food & shelter for your children and have a relationship with them like a 'regular' parent, there is no reason that the courts would do that. There are MILLIONS of us bipolars, and I don't know of one who ever lost her children. Hang in there and be sure to take your meds as directed and report any med problems to your doctor. Once they kick in and your body gets more used to them, he'll prob. lower the dosage. You WILL have a "normal" life. My life just began when I was put on meds, now I'm stable and can deal with problems and don't have ferocious mood swings any more. Thank goodness! Be good to yourself, only YOU can take care of YOU!!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 12/21/06  3:23pm
" I happen to know that he can't take your children unless you are declared unfit. He can not do that. Only the courts can. It is a lot harder to do than most people think. They really do not want to take children away. That is the way it has been for me. I have never had my children taken away and I have tried to commit suicide twice. That is the way it has been for me. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 12/21/06  11:38pm
" BEFORE ANYONE COULD ANSWER THIS QUESTION CORRECTLY LAWYER OR OTHER WISE THERE ARE A FEW QUESTIONS THAT YOU NEED TO ANSWER. 1 HAVE YOU EVER BEEN HOSPITALIZED DUE TO YOUR BI-POLAR 2. IF SO HOW LONG 3. HOW LONG AGO 4. HAS YOUR ILNESS EVER INTERFERED WITH YOU BEING ABLE TO PROPERLY CARE FOR YOUR CHILDREN,IN OTHER WORDS HAS ANYONE HAD TO STEP IN AND HELP DUE TO YOUR ILLNESS 5.IF SO HOW LONG HAVE YOU HAD YOUR ILNESS UNDER CONTROLL HAS IT BEEN AT LEAST 2 OR 3 YEARS THIS CAN VARY FROM STATE TO STATE. IF YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN THE TYPE TO DISSAPEAR FOR DAYS ON END AND LEAVING HIM AND THE CHILDREN OR HAVE NEVER HAD TO BE HOSPITALIZED, AND HAVE PRETTY MUCH ALWAYS HAD YOUR ILLNESS 8UNDER CONTROL THEN I'D SAY THERE IS NO GROUNDS . HOWEVER YOUARE UNDER MORE OF A MICROSCOPE SO IT WONT BE AS EASY AS FOR SOMEONE ELSE. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 12/23/06  11:06pm
" I was in your situation in 1999. I had two young children and I was going through a divorce. My biggest fear was losing the children to my ex. I was terrified that he would easily gain custody of them. Fortunately, it did not turn out that way. It is as someone else said earlier, he would have to prove you are unfit in some way. In my situation, I had even had a suicide attempt and had been hospitalized three times in the year prior to divorce proceedings, and I still got to keep my kids. Most important is proving that you are now relatively stable, that you have a support system in place, and that you are active in maintaining your mental health, i.e. taking meds, seeing a pdoc and tdoc. Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself!!! You can do this. Let me know if I can help.

Blessings,
~twink "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 12/24/06  12:12pm
" I'm going through this right now. My ex-husband said that had he known about my illness earlier- it would have changed things about our marriage.
I had a lawyer tell me it would be easier and more acceptable to a judge to explain my illness than deal with my religious beleifs in a courtroom.
My mother tried to label me as unfit and take my children but a letter from the local CPS agent said that there was no reason to investigate my home(he had been in several times).
Talk to your lawyer- be as forthright as you can be.Make sure you tell them about ANYTHING that might come out in the courtroom- good OR bad.
Make sure you tell them about your treatment and plans to continue it.Jump through the necessary hoops.
Sometimes it happens that you will lose. The decision CAN be reversed at a later date- just keep in there "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 12/24/06  3:00pm
" Ever since I was diagnosed with my illness, the custody battle has been painful and non stop. They give me a hard time and don't believe me because I'm bipolar. It's very difficult. Well, it is for me. We go back in May '06 and until then I have suprivised visits. I miss her. Just try to get along and work things out between the two parties. Try to settle everything amongst yourselves because when court is involved, it will be hell. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 12/25/06  11:30am
" I would certainly hope you would not lose your children due to being diagnosed bipolar. Let me ask you this, how long have you been apart from your husband? Trauma such as divorce can intensify your symptoms, that is why is is so VERY important to stay with your meds and please find a support group that is run by a qualified therapist. Bipolarism is treatable and as long as there is no past abuse of your children and you are able to function and care for your kids properly I cannot see you losing them. I raised 5 kidsalone, maybe not as well as I could have, but that was not due to my bipolarism itself, it was due to my lack of getting help. Stay with it, trust in yourself and do not let yourself be threatened because of BP. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 03/13/08  12:05pm
" No get a lawyer "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 03/13/08  1:21pm
" no is the answer , i just one my custody battle , even after printin of all my journals from here n givin them to the investigatin lawyer xx good luck honey x "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web