How to use DailyStrength
We're on Facebook
Check out our page
Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
do illegal street drugs cause mental illness?
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
This is a question I've been asking for a long time now.

I know that I didn't have 1/10 of the problems I have now after using street drugs.

I've heard in rehab, (rehab that's a joke) that illegal drugs can not cause mental illness such as schizophrenia and so on. unless the person already had some kind of genetic marker for it in the first place.

But I beg to differ, I know tons of addicts who came out of addiction receiving a dx of bi polar or other mental illnesses. Especially heroin users which I was one.

So do you think street drugs can cause mental illness or that the addict already had a mental illness and the drugs just made it more apparent that they have it?

Street drugs always make things worse! Whether it's mental illness or dealing with life.
Posted on 09/11/12, 09:49 pm
26 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Bipolar Disorder. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 09/11/12  9:54pm
" um..I would say can induce mental illness in someone genetically predisposed.

But- long term heavy drug use ...can cause brain damage which is much of a much muchness, I guess? Like, how if someone has a bad head injury that can lead to life long mood swings, instability...I think?

many people 'diagnosed' in rehab may well be misdiagnosed, also- as that would be a big US tendency..not a world wide one. It's trendy is what I mean. Some would be mentally ill but not all..if that makes sense

but yeah, things like acid, amphetamines can trigger bipolar, schizophrenia x "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 09/11/12  9:55pm
" that's why people are screened for other biological causes of bipolar, y'know..head injuries, tumors etc "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 09/11/12  9:59pm
" I guess it makes sense that ppl with mental illness are more likely to self medicate, take refuge in substances though. I remember hearing, years ago, that something like 60%? More? of bipolar people were alcoholics or heavy drug users? have others heard that?

I know in my family tree there are lot of heavy drinking, at the very least ppl with bp1 "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 09/11/12  10:01pm
" My experience with street drugs was that they cause problems. Others may not see it that way. I have a friend who used a lot of LSD back when with no apparent problems and again that was his experience. Meanwhile, many people who tried LSD wound up in a catatonic coma so it seems like more of an individual response, for instance, just like with meds we get from our docs.

And rehab is one person's joke but another person's salvation. Just saying.

I agree that the street drugs, pot and alcohol always make things worse but I'm not sure what comes first, BP or problems with street drugs. For me I can see that I was BP from an early age that showed in the depression I had at 7-8 years old. The BP was manageable for quite a few years when it went out of control in my 20s, coincidentally after I did a lot of street drugs. Learn your own lesson and learn wisely. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 09/11/12  10:03pm
" yeah- I know someone who took acid & never came down again= instant severe schizophrenia. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 09/11/12  10:47pm
" It might depend on the rehab tommy. I've heard that other rehabs were not as abusive as mine was. Nor as misinformed.

To clarify many people were not dxed in rehab it was after they got out of rehab that they were dxed. Rehabs are finicky and frown upon diagnosing people. They usually are also against medicating in the beginning stages of sobriety.

As for myself while mental illness does run in my family however, I can say that before the street drugs I definitely had no symptoms of bi polar. The only thing I had was ADD which if medicated I might have made more sound decisions as I think much sharper while medicated. Like not using drugs! After all Ritalin is like cocaine right? (that's what I read on the internet any way) WRONG! I found out the hard way ADD meds are nothing like street drugs!

Well not to tell the whole long story but I also needed antidepressants at the time as my friend had just killed her self and I was also feeling suicidal because of it. Once again if I had been properly medicated perhaps I could have avoided the whole drug addiction thing, and not having the problems I now have.

Well there was more to the story than just that but my point is that I did not have bi polar before street drugs and now I do.

Was it a combo of bad genes and brain damage from illicit drugs? Or was it purely the drugs? I don't really know and it's hard to say since mental illness can cause a person to self medicate which I believe. So chicken or the egg? Or a little of both? "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 09/11/12  10:53pm
" There's a type of Schizophrenia that's caused by drugs.. specifically LSD.. I think (my memory may be a little flawed) there's 11 types of Schizophrenia....
There is definitely a correlation but it's usually that people become addicts due to mental illness often not diagnosed or even if it has been as a way to try and self medicate..
Heavy use of street drugs are playing with brain chemicals so I have no doubt they can do damage.. I just don't know to what extent..x "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 09/12/12  6:24am
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 09/12/12  6:40am
" anyone can suffer from a drug induced psychosis, but if you have a predisposition to mental illness then this can be a trigger for it. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 09/12/12  11:47am
" I had a drug problem when I was a teenager (many years ago) and I just thought is was part of my youth. It wasn't until I was diagnosed in 2001 and went through my past and the behavior that we realized that I've been bipolar almost my whole life. The psychiatrist told me that past behavior can tell him alot and help him make the diagnosis that even in my teens, although I seemed fine to myself, certain behaviors say BP all the way.

I self-medicated every chance I got through drugs and alcohol. I had alot of bad behavior before I finally just stopped with my transition into my 20's. I am diagnosed now and I can see where my behavior was indicative of BP.

Whether or not street drugs cause mental illness is a question that I can answer "I dont think so." I think there is some kind of mental illness behind the drugs and that's why most people self-medicate. This is just my opinion. Don't most people do drugs to escape their lives? I know I did. Didn't think about it at the time but looking back I can see that's exactly why I do them. Just my opinion. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 3 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web