Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Surgery and depression
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
as a result of having 5 large babies that were not C sections I have encountered some problems that now require 3 major surgeries to be done at one time.the surgery will be long,high risk and general anesthesia.

while i know all surgeries carry risks ,i am most concerned regarding the deepening depression since i havent exactly been stable for some time now. a surgeon is not as in tune w the depression aspect as we are and just add it to a list of general possibilities post op. i am deathly scared of plummeting into the depths of hell just due to the fact that i will be under anesthesia for so long and i will be losing my uterus (hopefully Godwilling not my ovavies).

My pdoc is so overwhelmed by the amount of pys he sees i am lucky he gets my name and chart right. so he is no help. has anyone ever had major surgery while BP and not stable w depression??? did you take any vitamins supplements, any thing to build you up to try and prevent relapse???what worked????any suggestions appreciated.thx!
Posted on 02/21/12, 08:33 pm
8 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Bipolar Disorder. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 02/21/12  8:40pm
" I just go into survival mode whenever I have had surgery..including the removal of a sarcoid starting to press on my heart that was thought to be a tumor, appendectomy, and my gallbladder removed. I think of myself as if I am sick and naturally when I am sick I am busy trying to recover so my mind sleeps more. I like to sleep when I am recovering and not to think long and hard. I accept pain more readily because it is natural to have pain after invasive surgery. I baby myself. I block out overwhelming emotions mainly because I am just to tired.

Taking vitamins sounds like a great idea. I used a lot of protein shakes after my last surgery. It really helped me alot. Protein lifts your mood since it stabilizes your blood sugar and gives good nourishment. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 02/21/12  8:40pm
" You have a lot in front of you! All I can do is to tell you to be sure to continue your meds. I think that is the most importand thing you can do. Good luck. I hope the best for you. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 02/21/12  8:46pm
" I had my foot reconstructed in 2009. It was major surgery and my dream was that I would be able to walk without pain. Didn't work out so well. Lost my voice to an RA nodule, the bunion resection wouldn't fuse (took 5 months and the screw sticks out) and one toe couldn't be reattached properly and gives me constant nerve pain.

I had to stop exercising and had a couple of bad days with that. But God was truly with me. I didn't really get depressed, and actually grew closer to God. I read the book of Job in recovery, and that man was my best friend in those days. And yes, I take a lot of vitamins, minerals and Omegas generally, not just for surgery.

As for you, this is a major mental surgery - losing your uterus. I was supposed to have mine removed for similar reasons, and I just decided not to. I finally found an ob-gyn who put me on Provera, and it worked out well. I think my fears were similar to you - that it would trigger great loss and depression.

So I think getting support is probably the most important thing. My church delivered meals the first two weeks, and my husband had to dress me daily and make me breakfast and lunch before he went to work.

My SIL told me that this surgery was harder on her than the mastectomy she just had for breast cancer. So find some willing hands to help, and some people to visit and pray for you. And I will put you on my prayer list. Let me know when it happens. Sometimes, you have to do what you have to do. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 02/21/12  9:06pm
" I know surgeries are scary.Everyone hit the nail on the head. Also, fish oil helps in avoiding psychosis. But do take vitamins and protein shakes sounds great.

I know you go to church, so perhaps you can get people to bring food to you. We had people from his synagogue and AA bring us food from after surgery thru Chemo. It helped us a lot, and everyone respected us as vegetarians. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 02/21/12  10:09pm
" I was in depression, and needed a emergency hysterectomy, then a breast lumpectomy.......

You do it, you do it depressed, you sleep and you heal - merrymay is right its survival mode, but because surgery is so painful - you sleep, make prepartions to sleep, a good week or more.

Do walk! I didn't stretch and walk, due to depression and pain - when I did start moving the abdomin muscle were tight! I couldn't stand straight, but I work it out walking and stretching. My surgery was cut from the belly button down, rough place - all those muscle, hopefully you avoid that.

Gina, it's going to suck, and its going to hurt, and your going to cry.. and then, like me telling you this right now - it's going to be a vague memory!!! It just feels like the end of the world, my faith and prayers, and actually - my laughter brought me back to the living, but grab a pillow first!!!!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 02/21/12  11:20pm
" I just wanted to add a great big hug of support for you sweetie...you are in my thoughts and prayers..xo "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 02/22/12  9:27am
" I had a hysterectomy (kept ovaries) at age 37 three years before I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. Needless to say I was not stable and it threw me for a big loop. I have had surgery since I found out about the bipolar disorder as well, I was in a wheel chair for six weeks non weight bearing on my leg (knee surgery). I also went into survival mode. The one thing that concerns me (if I had to have surgery again) is the narcotics I have to be on afterwards. I can only take narcotics so long before they begin to have an effect on my mind (aggravation and depression and aggression). If you want to contact me please feel free to do so via the message system here on DS. You are going to have a long road ahead I won't lie to you but I do know that one day you will feel 100% again and wonder "when did that happen?" At least that is what happened to me. You're in my thoughts and prayers. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 02/22/12  3:26pm
" WEIRD...I've been thinking about this Topic for several days.

I have a major surgery coming up in early March.

Last time I went into a depression , that took months to wear off.

I think that's why I am so anxious about my upcoming surgery.
I really don't want to go through all that depression again. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web