Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
Why can't I just MAKE myself...
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
I haven't been doing well as far as my depression goes, and I have been triggered by something that I know is no big deal to "normal people". I started my Bachelors in Psychology last week, and I learned that the learning format at UOP is through "learning teams". Which means I have to work with three other people on assignments and a final project for each class. (I'm stressing out just typing this, I want to cry) For my Associates, everything was independent. I LIKE IT THAT WAY!!!! When I learned about the method, I told myself that I could deal with it, despite the fact that it takes every bit of energy I have to interact with others...well, its week two now, and I am totally frustrated, and I can't just make myself "deal" with it. I know that I would feel negative, frustrated, depressed, and resentful that I have to count on others and have others count on me, and I really don't think I can handle it. I want to ENJOY my learning experience. I know that an outsider would think, "What's the big deal?", but I hope you all understand where I'm coming from. Would you suck it up, or go through the ordeal of finding another school and transferring, and dealing with student loan BS?
Posted on 11/07/07, 07:57 pm
12 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Bipolar Disorder. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 11/07/07  8:00pm
" transferring schools is a pain in the ass and you usually end up losing credits. talk to your professor. tell her/him you'd like to complete the assignments on your own. if it's for a freakin' psych degree, the prof ought to understand panic attacks... just talk to her/him. they're usually pretty cool about stuff. (i used to teach comm. college and i made all kinds of accommodations for my students.) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 11/07/07  8:01pm
" Do not transfer, stick it out. Maybe see if you can get something from the dr. to combat these feelings,diazapam, valium,that you can take just before going to these meetings. Don't let this stupid illness mess up what you want out of life. Hugs. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 11/07/07  8:12pm
" I have a friend who got her Master's, then PhD & she is a "normal"--she freaked all the way thru'--so you are not alone. I hate working with other people. You are not alone. DO talk w/your prof. about panic attacks. Many professors (like my friend) have friends with BP etc. so they are understanding "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 11/08/07  3:39am
" Hang in there, Hopefully it will be over soon. you don't want to quit and transfer, to messy, Set a certain a mount of time and then after that let it go for the day. give your self breaks. I could not do that right now, But you have come to far, hang in there you can do it. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 11/08/07  7:08am
" I received my Master's degree from U of P so I hear you about the learning teams. I didn't like them much. However, I frequently had to do them when I worked on my Bachelor's at a traditional school. I'm assuming if you're going to U of P that you're getting your degree online. If so I think that makes it easier to work with other since you don't have to deal with them "right away" you can wait a while until you're in a better frame of mind. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 11/08/07  8:42am
" maybe this will be good for you. i mean, i know you dont like it, but who knows? u might make some new fiends and actually like your group. i say go for it! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 11/08/07  9:25am
" Have you invoked the Americans with Disabilities Act with the school? That might allow you to request special study situations and additional help if you still stay in groups. Got to the school with your disability and see what happens.
peace, t "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 11/08/07  9:46am
" I would just suck it up. So what if your a weirdo, just be real quiet contribute your work to the project and let the others put it all together.I think alot of us have made ourselves think we are sicker than we are. Look how far you've come already come on that had to be a huge hurdle just going back to school. You can do it and you can do it with ease. Hang in there kiddo. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 11/08/07  10:36am
" Hello Friend,

I feel that people such as ourselves must overcome the obstacles that we most fear. Forgive me but, in the field you are studying, don't you have to deal with others behavior? Would it not be good for you to learn to deal with the issues you will be handling in the future? As a psychologist, if a patient were having the same issues as yourself, what would you advise they do? Certainly not run and hide! I understand how you feel as I also do not like working with others but, it is a nessecity and I have learned that it is crucial to my well-being to face these fears and interract with others. I'll bet you will have much to offer in the group and will gain self-confidence by the time you are finished! Facing our fears only makes us stronger! I hope you understand what I am trying to say and do not take it the wrong way. I say this from my own experiences. Our recovery does not depend on medication alone, we have to face life on lifes terms so to speak. You must be very strong to have made it this far. Do not let your fears overtake you. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 11/08/07  10:07pm
" Thanks so much for your perspectives! It has helped me to analyze things better. I already have ADA accommodations and there really isn't much else that can be done within a team situation. Anyway, I spoke to my Academic Advisor today to tell him how I was feeling, and he gave me a pep talk. He even told me that if I need to call him every week until my degree is finished that I could. I was pleased with the way he handled it, and the support he provided. I'm going to hang on for now. Thanks again ya'll. "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web