Follow us on Twitter
Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
Discussion:
ARGH - Depakote Lawsuit
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Well, there's now a class action lawsuit against the pharmaceutical company that makes Depakote because it can cause birth defects. I am sure that it had a warning on it saying that it shouldn't be taken during pregnancy without the advice of a doctor. Even medications that my doctors say are fairly safe carry that warning. They are even advertising on TV to find people who took depakote during pregnancy and had babies with birth defects.

I feel like this is just going to drive up medication prices. I feel like the doctors should have discussed the risks with pregnant patients and if they haven't THEY should be at fault. I don't think the pharmaceutical company should be at fault.

Sorry -- there are probably people who completely disagree with me, but I don't want to deal with more increases in medication costs. I also think that a pdoc should keep a patient informed and vice versa. The pdoc can't do anything if a patient doesn't tell him/her that she's pregnant.
Posted on 03/11/11, 06:44 pm
10 Replies Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Bipolar Disorder. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 03/11/11  7:00pm
" I have to agree with you. This is why our medication costs so much. It definitily says do not take if you are pregnant. Just look it up on any drug site. It puts the responsibiliy on the Dr. however.

FDA pregnancy category D. This medication can cause harm to an unborn baby. Do not use Depakote without your doctor's consent if you are pregnant. Tell your doctor if you become pregnant during treatment. Depakote can cause birth defects. Use an effective form of birth control while you are using this medication. Depakote passes into breast milk and could harm a nursing infant. Do not take this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 03/11/11  7:14pm
" No, No and No. Our medication is expensive because Pharma and Government like it that way. I have no problems with anyone bringing a lawsuit since most medication is toxic in one way or other. The problem with lawsuits is that the courts are corrupt and there's no place to go for justice. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 03/11/11  9:11pm
" I think it would have to be case by case basis because there might be some pdoc liability but generally the liability should be on the person taking the meds. I took Depokate and there are plenty of warnings all around. It's tricky because our symptoms tend to sway us in certain moods from having good judgement especially if we need that medication badly. I believe the patient should get on a conceptive when using this drug though. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 03/12/11  12:46am
" i'm woth tommy on this one. big companies are all for big profits, the greedy bastards. they look for any excuse to raise prices. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 03/12/11  2:54am
" I took it for a year and there were no warnings. I wasn't warned by my doctor either. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 03/12/11  4:09am
" In the last 12 years I have taken at least 60 different meds some for BP and some for my physical stuff. There have been lawsuits filed against at least 5 or 6 of those meds. While I think the pharmacutical companies and prescribing doctors are partially responsible I do think the public needs to police themselves too. Use your fucking heads - if nowhere on the drug info papers does it say that it is safe for children then 100000 chances to one its safe when you are pregnant. I do think the drug companies tho are totally responsible for putting meds on the shelf that havent been thoroughly tested and 2 years down the road it comes to light that OOPS ______causes tics and tremors ect "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 03/12/11  7:58am
" I was on depakote when I got pregnant and my doctor immediately advised me of the risks and I was taken off of it immediately. I'm a trial lawyer and I believe that if a doctor violates his duty to advise his patient and that patient suffers damages because of it, that patient had the right to seek recourse through the courts. Justice for a patient or a sick child is not a "frivolous lawsuit." "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 03/12/11  11:08am
" I am sorry if I was not clear. Basically, I'm just saying that the risks are published. The doctors should be responsible to inform a patient about the side effects. It is the doctor who is at fault NOT the pharmaceutical company in this case.

Just my two cents. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 03/12/11  11:09am
" And I'm also angry because they are going out there LOOKING for people to sue the pharmaceutical company. They are advertising to build a client base. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 03/12/11  1:21pm
" Come to think of it, my pdoc warned me when I started to try and get pregnant. And I did a lot of research and that's why I knew. "

Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web