Read our tweets
Get Cool DS Stuff!!!!!
Shirts, Hats, Baby Wear
In Category: Treatments
Discussion:
Mindfulness..
Watch this 
View More Posts Ignore
Just wondering if anyone has delved into mindfulness as a part of their treatment. Was recently in hospital and learnt a bit about it and practiced some mindfulness meditation/teachings... Has anyone found it positve? Thinking of buying some books re: this to try help....
Cheers,
joey jojo.
Posted on 11/07/08, 03:11 am
14 Replies | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Reminder: This is a support group for Bipolar Disorder. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

You may also create your own Member Groups where you can moderate the discussion.
Comment:
Email me when others reply to this topic help
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #1 - 11/07/08  6:55am
" never heard of it, sounds interesting though, i could use all of the help i can get. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #2 - 11/07/08  7:29pm
" Jon Kabat-Zinn has quite a few books/cd's and there is also some wevsites on mindfulness.. quite often used as a part of DBT.. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #3 - 11/09/08  12:49pm
" I am a big believer in the power of the mind to help the healing process. Deep breathing, relation tapes, incense, meditation, it's all good stuff, just try to find which routes work best for you.

For me, being in the middle of the college semester, I am under a lot of stress. I plan my day out ahead of time an dI remove any extra obligations or obstacles that would stress me out.

During the day I always have a backup/alternate plan so if what I am supposed to do (such as go to the store after class) becomes too much and I feel myself start to get revved up from the stress.

I pay attention to my bodily signals, heart rate, sweating, increase in thought speed or muscle tension... if these start t indicate a step closer towards mania (which is the part of the cycle I am in now) I take action and either remove myself from the situation or pop a benzo if needed for on the spot prevention. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #4 - 11/10/08  4:33pm
" I have a series of audio tracks on CD - but I don't know that they've done much to help. If anyone has had success, I'd be interested in hearing about it too. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #5 - 11/26/08  9:50am
" mindfulness is a term unfamiliar to me but I do know about your mind and how powerful it is. Amazing comes to mind. Use it to your advantage! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #6 - 11/28/08  2:43pm
" After reading your question I went out and bought the Cognitive Therapy for Dummies book. In true bp fashion, I lost interest after chapter 2. I will pick it up again soon if I know me. It does look interesting. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #7 - 11/28/08  5:29pm
" keep it up!!!
i started doing meditating and practicing mindfulness after being in the hospital. i was on medication for 2 or 3 months, but i didn't like the way it made me feel. medidtation and mindfulness has helped me so much, even when i don't meditate often anymore, now i'm always evalutating whether my thoughts are positive/constructive or negative/unnecessary. i haven't had a major manic or depressive episode in years because i can tell when one is coming on.
please, try this, stick to it, it can help sooooo much!!!! "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #8 - 12/02/08  6:26pm
" look for 'you can heal your life' by Louise L Hay book and DVD. hayhouse :) "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #9 - 12/05/08  12:04pm
" I was a skeptic but my doc has me doing this stuff, meditation, watching my thought patterns. It is helping.

I used to be really bothered by past mistakes. Bad thoughts would zing through my mind. I now "grab hold" of those thoughts, really analyze them, forgive myself for them, then "file them away" in a things that I'm done with file.

Sounds goofy, but this has really helped me. Every day is a new day and we have to let go of the past. I'm trying to be a better person and the only way to do that is to let go of my baggage. "
View More Posts Ignore
Reply #10 - 12/05/08  1:18pm
" I went to Barnes & Noble and bought "Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond" by Ajahn Brahm. So far, it's been great. It's definitely helped calm my mind and decreased my anxiety. Focusing on now, instead of the past and present carries a lot of relief. I'd go for it! "

First | Previous | Page: 1 2 | Next | Most Recent Add Your Reply
Advertisement

More From Around the Web