can people in a coma hear you?
my wife was in a coma for about 4 weeks and i told her all the things that i thought of at the time but i wanted to or need to know did she hear me tell her how much i loved her and that it was ok to go?
Posted on 11/21/08, 03:21 pm
Reminder: This is a support group for Bereavement. We trust you will do your best to remain positive and helpful. For more information, see our rules of the road.

Reply #1 - 11/21/08  3:29pm
" I think they do hear you. They have done studies where they found heart rate and respiration to change while your in a coma and a loved one is talking to you or touching you. "
Reply #2 - 11/21/08  3:31pm
" I'm sorry for your loss. When my Mom went on hospice the nurses told me yes, she can hear me. So I should and did talk to her. If you want proof I think there is some literature on it where the people that have come out of comas can recall what was said. "
Reply #3 - 11/21/08  6:22pm
" I am very sorry for your loss.I would like to tell you alittle story. I have worked at a hospital for many years,we had a young man transferred to our facility that had been in a coma for over a year. He remained in the coma for many more months.Anytime any of us were in his room we would constantly talk to him, it has always been said,the hearing is the last to go.
One day he finally awoke,his main nurse had been away for a couple of days,when she went in to see him,and said hi to him,he called her by name! He said he recognized her voice.[he did not know her before his coma]
I truly believe she heard you,and knows how much you love her.Take care.and if you want to talk more...feel free to contact me. "
Reply #4 - 11/21/08  7:33pm
" What a wonderful thing you were able to say everything that was in your heart while your wife was still living. No one can be sure what her thought processes were, or what she could understand, but I would bet she was at the very least able to feel that she was in the presence of someone who loved and cared for her. Take heart, and I hope you're able to manage over these holidays. "
Reply #5 - 11/21/08  8:20pm
" YES THEY DO HEAR YOU.....YOUR HEARING IS THE LAST TO GO BEFORE YOU PASS!!!! I KNOW THIS FROM EXPERIENCE FROM BEING IN A COMA...I REMEMBERED EVERYONE TALKING & WHAT THEY SAID...EVEN THE DOCTORS & NURSES!!
MY HUSBAND WENT INTO A COMA 2HRS BEFORE HIS SPIRIT LEFT THIS EARTH & I KNOW HE HEARD EVERYTHING I SAID....
IT IS A PROVEN FACT THAT PEOPLE IN A COMA DO HEAR EVERYTHING.....THERE HAS BEEN MANY STUDIES DONE ON THIS.....& THEY FOUND IT IS TRUE.....THEY DID IT WITH PEOPLE IN COMA'S & AFTER THEY AWAKE FROM THE COMA THEY WERE ABLE TO TELL YOU EVERYTHING THAT WAS SAID & WHAT WAS GOING ON AROUND THEM....ALL THE NOISES, RINGING OF BELLS FROM OTHER PATIENTS ROOMS.....THEY HEARD EVERYTHING.....
I PRAY THAT THIS GIVES YOU PEACE & COMFORT....MAY THE LORD GIVE YOU PEACE, COMFORT, STRENGTH, KNOWLEDGE, WISDOM & COURAGE TO GET THRU YOUR TIME OF GRIEF!!!
MY PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU & YOUR FAMILY ALWAYS!!! HUGS & LOVE, Karen "
Reply #6 - 11/21/08  11:59pm
" I truly believe they can hear while in a coma. I think that's why it is so important for family to be there talking to them, playing music, etc.
When my father in law passed away in 97, the hospice nurse told us that even when a person passes away, they can hear up to a minute after ? And when his wife passed away 2 months before that and was on a ventillator, I had told her it was ok to let go and she didnt have to hold on anymore, she was already gone so to speak other then the machine, but as soon as we left the room, and got to the front doors of the hospital, she passed away. "
Reply #7 - 11/22/08  6:59am
" i do believe that people in a coma do hear you. years ago i had a cousin that was severely injured in a car accident. doctors gave us no hope, he was going to be a vegetable. we all went for 6 months talked to him about different things and then 3 days after christmas he woke up. my mom use to tell him to wake up and ask for the 50 dollar bill that she carried for 6 month and she would give it to him and the first words out of his mouth when he saw her was where is my 50. another cousin use to tell him to wake and up ask for Mcdonald's food and he would bring it to him, once again, his first words to bill was where is my Mcdonald's food. i do believe that you wife heard every loving word that you told her. {{{{{hugs}}}}} jan "
Reply #8 - 11/22/08  9:05pm
" Feb 07, my husband was but in a coma for 5 days, and on one of the days they took him to a test and they told me to kiss him, as I did he opened his eyes, they all looked shocked and said he know she is here. When I later asked if he knew I was their that week he said" I don't remember everything, but I knew you were there. He also told me things he should not of known, unless he hear me talking when he was in the coma. He passed away april 08. "